whistle bombable walls subscreen use own tiles

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Well Done

Well Done

Initiate

• Members

Posted 24 January 2022 - 03:17 PM

I am getting to about 75% complete on my game and I'm having a few troubles with the editor.

Bombable Walls

This combo functions properly but leaves these gray tiles in front of the bombed walls.  How do I remove these gray tiles?

Whistle -> Stairs

The tutorial does a good job explaining how to create whistle warp rings and a dry lake bed entrance, but in the Screen Data window there is an option to create stair entrances without dry lake beds and you can do this in the NES Zelda game.  I can't get this to work.  Also, how to activate "return to dungeon entrance" for the whistle?  Is there a complete whistle tutorial somewhere?

Uploading my own graphics to make new combos.

This should be and probably is very easy, how do I use my own tiles on combos?

Modify the item menu and subscreen.

I want to remove the bait from my quest and replace it in the item menu with the hookshot, how can I?

I know that somehow I am forgetting something, so I will add to this list if I remember.  Thanks for any help!  Creating your own quest is very addictive.

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 24 January 2022 - 04:56 PM

I am getting to about 75% complete on my game and I'm having a few troubles with the editor.

Bombable Walls

This combo functions properly but leaves these gray tiles in front of the bombed walls.  How do I remove these gray tiles?
Quest->Graphics->Door Combo Sets. Select the door set you're using for your dungeons and change the bomb wall rubble combos to use something with full transparency.

Whistle -> Stairs

The tutorial does a good job explaining how to create whistle warp rings and a dry lake bed entrance, but in the Screen Data window there is an option to create stair entrances without dry lake beds and you can do this in the NES Zelda game.  I can't get this to work.  Also, how to activate "return to dungeon entrance" for the whistle?  Is there a complete whistle tutorial somewhere?
Whistle->Stairs uses a special secret combo. Go to Screen->Secret Combos and select the one marked as Stairs under the misc tab, set it to a staircase combo. Then select the staircase icon at the bottom of the screen and move the yellow square to where you want your staircase to spawn. When you play the whistle on that screen, there'll be a small delay and then the staircase spawns.

To activate "return to dungeon entrance" you should only need to check a couple of DMap flags. Go to Quest->DMaps and select your dungeon's DMap, then under the Flags tab check "Allow Whistle Whirlwinds" and "Whistle Whirlwind Returns Link to Start".

Uploading my own graphics to make new combos.

This should be and probably is very easy, how do I use my own tiles on combos?
To use custom graphics on combos it's pretty simple. Right click the combo in the list and select "Edit". Then click on the combo's graphic and select another one in the tile page.

Actually importing new graphics is more complicated. In the tile editor (Quest->Graphics->Tiles), find a blank space large enough for the tiles you're planning to import. Select the top left corner of that space and hit the Grab button. This will open the tile grabber. Hit the File button and it'll prompt you to select an image. You can shift click to select a rectangle from that image to import. You can hit Recolor to attempt to recolor the image into your quest's palette structure and then + or - to cycle which CSet to recolor into. This is a bit hit or miss sometimes. There's some other stuff that's not at all well documented:
  • Hitting the S key will change the step value for grabbing between 1, 8, and 16. This allows you to move the selection off the tile grid, for tiles that aren't properly grid aligned. You can see the current step in the bottom left.
  • Hitting the 8 key will make the imported tiles use 8-bit color, allowing it to use colors from all CSets
  • Holding Shift and pressing the Recolor button will attempt to recolor the image into 8-bit color.

When you're done selecting the tile block to grab, hit OK. This will overwrite a block of tiles without warning you, so be sure there's enough space to fit what you're grabbing. If the tiles you're grabbing weren't saved in ZC, they'll probably look pretty gross without recoloring. You'll likely have to do some manual touch-ups either way. 

Modify the item menu and subscreen.

I want to remove the bait from my quest and replace it in the item menu with the hookshot, how can I?
Replacing an item on an existing subscreen is thankfully pretty easy. Go to Quest->Misc Data->Subscreens. Select whichever subscreen you want to edit. Right click on the bait and select Properties. On the Attributes tab, change the Item Class to Hookshot. 

I know that somehow I am forgetting something, so I will add to this list if I remember.  Thanks for any help!  Creating your own quest is very addictive.

Answers in bold.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whistle, bombable walls, subscreen, use own tiles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users