Flip First In Production

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:07 PM

So, I alluded to the idea that I was making someone else's quest for the Summer contest, but now that I have the blessing of the original staff member who was going to make it I am here to announce this.

I am making Neppy's Flip First from the ground up in Jared's updated Firebird tileset. This quest makes the dungeons designed as overworld areas while the overworld is designed like a dungeon.

Also, I am keeping most of the authenticity of the original game. If there was a bombable wall in the original game, there is 99% still something to bomb in that spot. This goes for almost all secrets. The only reason it's not 100% is because of freeform design wth multiple secrets on screen and no scripts.

Also a part of this quest is no slash, 4 way movement, 3 heart continues and full health sword beams from the onset. One of the few things I am changing from the original is freeform dungeons and faster screen scrolling. I currently have finished the first five levels.
  • Nathaniel, Anthus, Shane and 5 others like this

#2 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:07 PM

This sounds hype, and I am looking forward to this. I remember Neppy's original go at this, and I always thought it was a really neat idea.

I'd suggest making slash an upgrade, personally, but yeah. Or just have it unpassworded so people can change rules :P. I like 8-way movement too much.

#3 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 05 August 2020 - 05:53 PM

Why Firebird out of curiousity? The original I recall being made in an enhanced version of Classic, a perfect choice for such an unconventional idea. Firebird is a much more rigid tileset with rules about how screens be designed, so I was wondering how you'll tackle this challenge.

#4 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 August 2020 - 07:13 PM

As someone who has seen some of Shoshon's dungeon maps for this project, I can attest to FireBird being a workable choice here. It looks solid, and I'm excited to see how the rest of the dungeons are handled.

Although, I do have to agree with Anthus -- an unpassworded quest so we can opt-in to 8 way movement and slash would be nice. >_>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users