"Let's Script a" videos on Youtube.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:49 AM

You know how there are Let's Plays on Youtube where people sit down and record themselves playing a video game, then four and a half people watch the video occasionally?

We should try to get something started where we do that with writing scripts.

Every line would be commented on. It would be a mix of a tutorial, figuring out how to write a line of code for optimal efficiency, and seeing what's out there.

But the best part about all of it is that it would be a tremendous help to people who really don't know how to script anything more than adjusting Link's hit points on the fly.

You fine folks think it would be boring, but there are people (myself certainly quite included) who would find it absolutely invaluable.

As long as the resolution is okay. Not seeing characters while they're being typed, or heaven-forbid after, would defy the entire purpose of a Let's Script. :P
  • Theryan, Eddy, Joelmacool and 5 others like this

#2 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:01 AM

This sounds like a really great idea. I would definetly watch something like this. I can't make one though, because I'm not confident enough :P (and not an english speaker).

• SkyLizardGirl and Deedee like this

#3 Logos

Logos

Gnome Child

• Members

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:14 AM

I really like this idea. I absolutely want to learn how to script but have no idea where to start.

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#4 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:42 AM

That sounds like a good idea. Although I know absolutely nothing about scripting, it could be a pretty big help to others and it's definitely something unique and different. Maybe I could learn some things here and there too :P

#5 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:08 PM

Although I am in fact capable of scripting myself out of a paper bag, it would take many moons and hardships and trials to do so. It would be lovely to "get into the mind" of a person who can be seen as thoroughly adept at the scriptcraft.

The main objective of these is to see/hear scripters saying "Okay, now I want to connect this script with this function. Here's how I'll go about doing that. I already have a variable up here that keeps track of the health I need, so I'll put it riiiiight here. If I put it here, however, it would desync with the flux capacitor and destroy some of Ohio, but only the bad parts, so that's fine."
  • Eddy, Demonlink, Astromeow and 1 other like this

#6 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:42 PM

Streaming might be better, since chat would allow for real-time Q&A.
I'd certainly be up for it. I'll have to get a microphone or something, though.
  • Binx likes this

#7 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:44 PM

If a copy of the stream would be saved to the interwebs, then all is right with the world. That would be a miraculous thing. When is generally best for you, Saffith? Weekends okay?

#8 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:33 PM

I'm anything but busy. Any day should be fine.
  • Binx likes this

#9 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:46 PM

I have actually considered doing this, with the one problem, that I'm not certain if my HW is up to the task of recording. I was thinking of doing it co-op with another person, but doing it via a stream, with one or two others would be interesting. The main problem that I see in streaming, is that the sheer number of questions would be insane to handle. 

For recording, I'd rather have people request topics, so that it's possible to put together a plan, and record accordingly. Say, a script, for the scripting video, rather than pure, candid mayhem.

If anyone has a guide/FAQ for putting together a decent recording set-up, I'd be interested in reading it.

#10 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:57 PM

That's an interesting point to ponder. Well, let's see. If the Let's Script has as very large educational property to it, then the educational aspect is more important than finishing the script. The script can be finished at any time! But if someone has a question, they have it right there and then when there is a person there to explain it and walk them through it visually in real time. That's awesome.
  • Binx likes this

#11 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:44 PM

I am a fairly decent scripter, but most of my work is guess-and-miss. Do something here, test it, look up online what might be the problem, then change it, test again, etc... I would love to become faster at scripting, so this would be very useful.

Edited by Dimentio, 15 June 2015 - 05:46 PM.

• Avaro and Binx like this

#12 Lejes

Lejes

Seeker of Runes

• Members

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:52 PM

I think this would be a fun and useful thing. It would be interesting to see the process for someone who doesn't stare at Notepad++ for 30 minutes doing nothing, thinking "This is impossible."
  • Avaro and Binx like this

#13 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:35 PM

I think this would be a fun and useful thing. It would be interesting to see the process for someone who doesn't stare at Notepad++ for 30 minutes doing nothing, thinking "This is impossible."

I'm not the only one!? Wow.

#14 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 16 June 2015 - 04:53 AM

!;_;!  I - i -, ////    . . . . i dont know how to script.

#15 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:28 PM

So, I guess let's try this and see how it goes. Saturday, 9:00 PM eastern time sound okay?
http://www.twitch.tv/saffith/
  • ShadowTiger, Timelord and isilmo like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users