Taking sprite requests

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#121 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 15 July 2021 - 03:14 PM

You can actually drag-select and right-click in the tile editor to overlay one sprite(s) on top of another, saving a layer. There's also a setting in the combo animation editor where you can have a numerical gap in the animation instead of contiguous tiles, such as having the combo use every fourth tile for three frames as its animation. This is invaluable for ripping in stuff like Vitreous' room from LTTP, or even just an NPC combo that isn't 1x1.

#122 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 15 July 2021 - 03:50 PM

The problem isn't that the overlay can't be done. The problem is that it's a giant pain that slows everything down because of the number of frames and alternative lavas involved, and that every time that we go back to the drawing board he currently has to replace all of his old edges, which come in three different lava variations with 4 frames each. This way he can just use one type of edge and leave all the lava underneath alone.

This is all for testing purposes, of course! When we've got a solution I'm satisfied with, the database version I upload will only need one layer.

• Demonlink likes this

#123 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 16 July 2021 - 08:25 PM

Just getting to this, I wasn't sure if those edges were supposed to be one of a kind, or if I had to animate them. Although, I like how they look the way I used them. See for yourself, maybe this will be close to the end result?

• Anthus likes this

#124 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 16 July 2021 - 08:33 PM

Yeah, it's supposed to be a four-frame animation.

That video's private, I can't see it.

#125 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 16 July 2021 - 08:53 PM

Sorry, fixed it :3

#126 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 16 July 2021 - 09:03 PM

Oh thank god, I really like this. The only thing I'm iffy on at all is how rounded the corners get in a few of the shots like the Evertide Caverns entrance. And in shallower pools like on the first screen you showed in Evertide Montis I think that same effect works really well. Making an alternate version that's a bit less curved shouldn't be too difficult, either, I think we're basically there.

Edited by Ether, 16 July 2021 - 09:04 PM.

• Demonlink likes this

#127 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 16 July 2021 - 09:18 PM

Just getting to this, I wasn't sure if those edges were supposed to be one of a kind, or if I had to animate them. Although, I like how they look the way I used them. See for yourself, maybe this will be close to the end result?

...am I dumb or since when was this a transition in ZC?

#128 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 16 July 2021 - 10:45 PM

...am I dumb or since when was this a transition in ZC?

The one upon exiting the dungeon? Since 2.50 I think, it's the Super Mario All Stars Opening/Closing wipes :D

#129 Sans

Sans

Hey kid wanna buy hot dogs ?

• Members

Posted 16 July 2021 - 11:31 PM

hi there i can ask you a question ? You can make a GB sprite of Link that swims ? :) just to make the animation more realistic then the "floating" sprite one ? (Without the mermaid tail.)

Edited by Sans, 17 July 2021 - 08:27 AM.

#130 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 17 July 2021 - 12:42 PM

059_lavaborder3.png

Only the second and third frames were changed at all, everything else can stay exactly the same. This is still kiiiiiiiiiind of rounded, but I can try going even more angular in a pinch.

I can try swim sprites later.

• Shane likes this

#131 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 17 July 2021 - 04:46 PM

058_mermaidlink.png

Sidesprites already exist so I didn't bother with those.

• Shane, Sheik and Demonlink like this

#132 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 18 July 2021 - 09:42 PM

I think that they're looking pretty cool so far! :D Btw, thank you for your time and dedication to this Ether! 

One last request... I'm loving so far how all of this looks, but I think the only thing that's missing are corner borders and a small pool border:

OElu0Mb.png

The borders that I mean are for occassions that this might happen... a small 1x1 lava pool and 4 directional border corners...

With these, I think the set would be complete :D

#133 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 18 July 2021 - 11:05 PM

Likewise! I appreciate your patience with all of this, it's made a huge difference.

036_lavaborder2.png

Only the third frame was changed (but not just the corners, so this includes the third frame in the | | patterns too). I made 3 and 4 border patterns, but I think I'll leave overlaying them as an exercise to questmakers...the smaller lava pools already look good even without borders, and it's hard to see deeper lava showing up in these patterns.

• Shane and Demonlink like this

#134 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 19 July 2021 - 12:14 AM

Thank you! Here's tonight's last progress:

• Matthew likes this

#135 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 19 July 2021 - 09:38 AM

Another small request... could you please do a 3x2 furnace? (3 tiles wide, 2 tiles height). More or less of the style from ALttP's smithy, but obviously in GB. I have a cool idea for the fire dungeon that I'm making...

s28s5.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users