AM2R

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#16 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:52 PM

How about another example? Mario hacks could be seen as competition for Mario Maker

• Shane likes this

#17 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 14 August 2016 - 05:08 PM

I got C&D'd for Pokemon Pyrite years ago, and that was one reason I quit...  They don't like Pokemon fan makes either...

#18 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 14 August 2016 - 05:41 PM

Anyways, I beat the game 6 hours, 21 minutes and 93% of items on Normal. I suspect I can shave an hour or 2 off that time now that I have a good understanding of the world layout.

#19 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:53 PM

Cleared on normal in 5:45, 99% item collection. I'm actually a bit peeved. I explored everywhere, thought I was at 100%, then double checked with a map to verify. So apparently whichever item I'm missing wasn't marked on the map I looked at either.

As for the game itself, it's easily my favorite Metroid. II was always my favorite, and this basically just took everything about II and made it better. Almost everything at least.

I've got two primary complaints. First, the location of the ice beam. If you've played the game, I'm sure you'll well aware of the dick move it pulls hiding it. Second, the first Omega encounter, which locks you in with it, gives it the ability to corner you against a wall and drain your HP, and forces you to walk an incredibly long distance to get back if you die. Both are pretty bad issues I sincerely hope get patched for 1.1.

Overall though, A+ game.
  • Anthus likes this

#20 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:26 PM

Mannaged to find a download link, gonna try the game as soon as possible.

I'm wondering though. This project wasn't exactly secret. It was talked about by a lot of people for a while and i'm pretty sure Nintendo would have been aware of the game because of that. Usually, in these type of things, the company sends a cease & desist as soon as they are informed (i'm remembering the Chrono Trigger fanmade sequel), but if Nintendo was aware of it, they let the person making this remake finish it for some reason.

And apparently it was pointless. There's a subreddit dedicated to the game and the person is still working on the game.

#21 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:46 PM

That's old news Norzen, already been discussed. Nintendo has I believe only sent Cease & Desist letters to websites hosting the game, not to the game creators. In regards to that Chrono Trigger fan mod? Squaresoft were giant dicks and waited until the developers had basically spent years on the project and was about to release the final product before submitting the Cease & Desist, effectively waiting until the devs had spent a lot of time and energy in the thing before telling them nuh uh, can't release it.

#22 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:02 PM

DMCA, not C&D.

#23 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 17 August 2016 - 12:04 PM

I'm glad this game uses Metroid Zero Mission/Fusion Samus weight and running speed. I was never fond of Super Metroid floatiness and Samus running speed.

#24 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:57 PM

Just a heads-up, the guy's still doing updates to this game. He's got version 1.1 uploaded, and getting around the DMCA issues by linking to a forum post on his message board that contains the links to the update.

No idea if this little work-around will stick, so if you want to update it, better hurry.

#25 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:04 PM

Just started this yesterday, already got to the fourth area. Loving it.

#26 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:02 PM

Cleared on normal in 5:45, 99% item collection. I'm actually a bit peeved. I explored everywhere, thought I was at 100%, then double checked with a map to verify. So apparently whichever item I'm missing wasn't marked on the map I looked at either.

Overall though, A+ game.

If you didn't already find it, there is one missile tank that can't be seen on the map in the right water tube room in the second area. Bomb in from the left, outside.

#27 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:59 PM

My only complaint so far is that the Spider Ball is too slow. 

#28 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:49 PM

The Spider Ball is annoyingly slow but thankfully it's completely outclassed by the Space Jump.

After playing this at length, I really think these guys did a great job. The controls are the tightest and most fluid of any 2D Metroid. The balance between exploration and reward is pretty good, and the overall gameplay is very smooth. There's some minor graphical inconsistencies that bug me but they still did a really good job.

EDIT: -Ice Beam Spoiler-

Spoiler

I literally can't stop playing this game. It's the best 2D Metroid, IMO, and I know that's a big claim, but wow. This is really good.

And you know what? I would have gladly paid Nintendo money to play this game. But noooooo~

#29 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 21 August 2016 - 12:38 AM

It's because you're meant to get Ice beam earlier but something destroyed the statue holding it and moved it to a new location, apparently this was more clearly conveyed in the original game. Also in regards to Space Jump outclassing Spider Ball in every way, I beg to differ https://www.youtube....h?v=seU7kqPTwnQ

#30 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:53 AM

Lol did you skip the Spider Ball? Edit: read the comments I see now. I like using the triggers at the top of a jump to turn into a ball and grab ceilings (pre-space jump). Feels good man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users