Valami

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#16 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

First of all, Thank You CastChaos for another fantastic offering.  It's been a while since your last one.  I have always enjoyed your complex, but highly playable quests.  Valami has proven to be technically sound, has beautiful graphics/design, and the music is nice and appropriate.

Learning to navigate with the roc's feather gave me a slow start, but soon got the hang of it.  I have a love and hate feelings about the freedom to explore - so far have done extensive exploration, know the locations of most dungeons, collected 12 hearts and acquired a lot of items, yet oddly enough I am missing a couple of desireable items. I am finding myself needing other items to complete randomly entered dungeons.  There are clues on items needed upon entering some dungeons, but others don't.  While it is encouraged not to do dungeons in order, it becomes more frustrating when you get in one and unable to complete it because of missing items. It is probably designed this way, after all "It Means Something" in the end.

Anyways... Is the ladder on this quest? Also, where is the level 3 gloves and level 2 boomerang?  Thanks.

Hm you can get the ladder very early in quest ,and boomerang 2 you have to visit higher level up to the north, (GRAIN)part of the overworld map.

#17 zckrazee

zckrazee

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

Have gone a lot further. I now have 17 heart containers plus a few more items. Odd, how I missed that ladder to this point.  Can you be more specific, please?

#18 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:53 PM

zcfan:

Be sure to shoot an arrow into a shield wall ornament at the west. I think it's a key, though it might be just a HCP.

zckrazee:

The ladder is one of the special missable secret items. You soon learn about how to get them, if the NPCs in L01 didn't give a clear hint already. And among them, the ladder is kinda the first you have the possibility to get.

Higher level items are farther from the start than lower level ones, but in the same direction. You got the boomerang at the north, so go even norther for the L2 boomerang. It's at the west part of Grain. You need a boomerang to enter, but with skill, you can bypass that requirement for fun and mostly for profit. Big profit. Almost the same with gloves, just it's at the northeast part of Grain.

About freedom, it's one way to see it, the image that was floating before my eyes was that it's real fun to beat a dungeon that is meant for later, and even if it can't be completed that early, it's fun to at least get some smaller items out. Though I'm surprised to hear that you ran into so many "item needed" situations, since some dungeons can't even be entered without the proper item and most others can simply have their requirement bypassed either with skill or by secret items. Like, there is a dungeon where you get the L1 whisp ring. That is theoretically required to beat the level that has the L2 whisp ring, but with bubble avoiding skills and with 1-2 items that stun bubbles (quake hammer scroll, L3 boomerang, etc.) you can actually beat it. And quite many times, you even get reward for this sequence beating.

After this experiment with complete freedom, I'm thinking about something with an explorative world, but without this getting lost thing. A quest where you guaranteedly can do at least 51% of the things when you enter an area and backtracking is even more fun than in here. But that's for later, I REALLY need to finish up the NTCC dungeons and then GM's entireity...

#19 zckrazee

zckrazee

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:10 PM

Thanks CastChaos...  Got 'em... This quest has certainly lived up to your name - "chaotic", but fun and actually makes sense  :-) .  Congratulations on another superb creation.

#20 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:43 AM

Just to show what items there are in Valami.Allmost 100%

Latestsub_zps2e7be531.png

no magic shield and no lens.

#21 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Polm The Fathomless (Slime)

• Members

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:26 AM

And here is a little hint:   (try to play without the magic shield)

!? I see, as beat only Lv1 and 2, so restarted without the magic shield.

And...where can I get boomerang? 

Edited by Stray Sheep, 07 March 2014 - 06:27 AM.

#22 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:37 AM

!? I see, as beat only Lv1 and 2, so restarted without the magic shield.

And...where can I get boomerang? 

The wooden boomerang is in lvl3.

(and i give a hint to you also try to visit lvl13 as soon as you can it is worth it)

Edited by judasrising, 07 March 2014 - 08:35 AM.

#23 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Polm The Fathomless (Slime)

• Members

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

I can get ladder very early? And after read hints, I can't find it, now I just beat Lv1.

Or, can I get it after Lv1?

#24 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:45 AM

You can get the ladder right after L01, but since it's one of the secret missable items (so you get it only upon special condition), you probably won't be able to get it even if you find it's location. Secret missable items are probably missed on each players' first playthrough. During this first playthrough, you get hints about these items (free or paid hints at open or hidden locations or at one of the endings). So when you play again, you will know where they are.

#25 Spelunker

Spelunker

So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish

• Members

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

TKpEAim.jpg

Finshed level 1 but can't find the key to open this door.

#26 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

That one key you miss can be either of the following:

-southwest corner (where the platform section starts), under the lone pot

-west part, where a block appears when you walk through the wall ornaments (jump instead of walking, so that the block won't appear and you can get the key)

-northwest fire part, under a pot

I also remember there was one at the southeast corner water part, but it's easy to see

#27 Spelunker

Spelunker

So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish

• Members

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

That one key you miss can be either of the following:

-southwest corner (where the platform section starts), under the lone pot

-west part, where a block appears when you walk through the wall ornaments (jump instead of walking, so that the block won't appear and you can get the key)

-northwest fire part, under a pot

I also remember there was one at the southeast corner water part, but it's easy to see

I went back through level 1 and checked every pot, no luck. I think it's the boss key that I'm missing.

Also missing one room I can't get in, the one above this room.

75hlKrZ.jpg

#28 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

I went back through level 1 and checked every pot, no luck. I think it's the boss key that I'm missing.

Also missing one room I can't get in, the one above this room.

75hlKrZ.jpg

For that room you have to jump in there , just jump on those brown platforms

Just start to jump from 2 or 3 screen`s south from that screen just stay on platforms all the time

Edited by judasrising, 08 March 2014 - 03:02 PM.

#29 zckrazee

zckrazee

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:09 PM

Awesome quest, CastChaos - beautiful graphics, clever puzzles and nice dungeon designs, fantastic music - fun! Totally enjoyed it. You should submit this to the database so a lot more can enjoy it.

Anyways, I'm about to enter the "A" ending at Black Velvet. I would normally end my quest here, but I feel like I'm still missing a few more items.  I intend to do another play through sometime to try and find everything , if possible and also to try to appreciate the full concept.  It is definitely worth another shot.

Couple of questions/comments:

1.  I acquired the Lead Hammer in level 11, but it does not show up in my inventory. Why?

2.  How many levels are in this quest?  Never found level 14 - where is it?

Would appreciate a response.  Else, this is the end of my quest for now.  Thanks again a great fun and adventure. Would love to see another one from you soon.

#30 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

zckrazee:

"Couple of questions/comments:
1. I acquired the Lead Hammer in level 11, but it does not show up in my inventory. Why?
2. How many levels are in this quest? Never found level 14 - where is it?"

1. I can't even imagine! I never had that, not any of the testers and there are no dmaps where it's set as unavailable... And although there are better hammers, all require the lead hammer beforehand.

2. 17 normal levels. Which ones you beat determines what ending you get in 90% (so, sometimes your choices matter, too, like at the A1/A2 ending diverge). Besides that, many secret dungeons, many secret caves, + all 8 endings have their own final dungeons and bonus content after the ending.

Level 14: in an Oasis house, a Teuq tells you that there isn't something useful in all houses. In fact, there is, so slash the pots in that house and you reveal the entrance into L14 (requires the School dungeons, like the... Lead Hammer)

The A endings are the smallest ones, since they require only L01-08, so if you are in Black Velvet, you probably still missed 80% of the quest! However, you also can find most things then still go for the A ending. In this case, you get some bonuses for tackling an ultimate dungeon with much more items than needed.

This quest is TRULY for replayability value. For replaying MANY times. The 8 endings and the freedom guarantees that two playthroughs won't be the same. The biggest guaranty is actually that you learn things step by step. Like you learn how you get the secret items. Then in your next playthrough, you get them and so get the things that require them, including fabolous secret items and even a whole big secret level.

Each ending and each of the biggest secrets add to the story, so that after all 8 ending, you learn about what does the following things mean:

-the golden light atop Babylon

-the Inscription Pieces

-the lack of meat on the Halfdeads

-the hieighened Teuq activity at the south

-the shield that Hufnn males wear

Because all of these and more... mean something!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users