Photo

Screenshot of the Week 366

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 366 (49 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:05 AM

Nolornbon
IPB Image
Link crosses the bone bridge and ends up on this cliff overlooking the Ulntauza Gorge. Several lava flows and volcanoes lie in the inferno ahead. The narrow statue at the end of the cliff reads, "Beyond lies the massive temple that the mighty demon lord Uglinadun rules all of Ulntauza from." Even Link is filled with fear of what lies ahead. Poor boy! icon_shiver.gif

Orin XD
IPB Image
The Beamos and Flamethrowers can either be active or inactive depending on whatever colour block is up or down. A neat concept for a dungeon.

Jared]
IPB Image
The entrance to town!

#2 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:20 AM

Voted for Jared. I like seeing him use my tileset. icon_cat.gif

Nolornbon: The lava is certainly improved from it's previous pink colour, but now it looks like blood. Try making the lava a little more orange. Screen design is very unique.

Orin XD: Neat screen, but the browns kill it for me. It looks like you are using Koholint palette.

Edited by Shane, 14 May 2012 - 01:24 AM.

#3 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:35 AM

I voted for Jared]. So he did get a name change. icon_razz.gif

#4 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

)M( Still No Tombs In The Sims 4 )M(

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

I will... speak now.
Me icon_smile.gif
This screen certainly is suitable for a dark and scary world; and I have shown that I can use mountains that have diagonals. The use of the ape and griffin statues is nice, but perhaps the lava could be more orange and have a little more detail. I used pure remembrance to make this screen as well as the previous one I made. icon_smile.gif
Orin XD icon_smile.gif
This is a nice dungeon shot that brings back memories of the Oracle games. The wall and floor cracks show the player that the dungeon is indeed in ruins. I would advise making the color of the dungeon a little darker (it is a dungeon you know.) icon_smile.gif
Jared icon_smile.gif
The mountains are likely the crowning jewel in this shot; and the big tree on the edge of the screen is pretty. I would have liked to see another such big tree near the center of the screen. Thanks to this screen you made, I now see how pretty and useful those mountains really are. icon_smile.gif

#5 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

Nolornbon: A poor screen. While the design is just okay, I feel the walkable space is too little. The most time spent playing on this screen seems to be no more than 10 seconds. The lava contract KILLS the overall flow. While it is nice in theory, the intensity and saturation is excessive. I feel there is one too many statues and volcanic rock flows. If one or two were taken away and spaced to balance the screen then it would be a major improvement. However, excluding the lava, the palette for the ground is pretty good.
Score: 2 out of 10

OrinXD
: I really like this screenshot. You nailed the traditional GBC Zelda unity. The color palette is superb and compliments the ruin feel. The open space for movement is excellent and perfectly weighed to the walls. The ruin cracks just make it even better. Though, I have seen many GB shots previous, this is quality, but nothing special or new.
Score: 5 out of 10

Jared: You already know how I feel. *votes*
Score: 6 out of 10

#6 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

I voted for the tiny plant in Nolornbon's screen. Keep growing little guy!

#7 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

icon_smile.gif

And Nolornbon got my vote , i really like that screen icon_thumbsup.gif

#8 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

Nolornbon: i really like how you manged to make the screen look like the one playing it has been dazzled by the light radiating from the lava. The colors of all objects around the lava are adapted so well that i feel really dazzled. I like that. Only other time i have seen that done this well was the lava place in Dark Souls. 9/10

Orin XD: I am a sucker for the Gb-tileset. And then the screen design is cool too. The answer who got my vote should be obvious. 10/10

Jared: hmm how should i put it. It is a very nice screen should also fit in almost every modern game. I am pretty sure almost everyone likes it. Sadly to me it is pretty generic, solid but generic. Also a bit on the empty side. It has an official feel to it(i hope you like to hear that =) ). However i personally do not like it. 7/10 (because i can tell there went much work into it and because its solid)

#9 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

Hm... Frankly, I'm not a huge fan of any shot this week.

Nolornbon:
Seems like a neat environment, but the red of the lava is just so... red. It's too red, in my opinion. Real lava tends to be more orange:

IPB Image

Orin XD:
Pretty solid GB-style shot. I like the concept of the dungeon, though the cracked floors seem like a bit of an afterthought. Still, it's solid enough to earn my vote.

Jared:
A pretty shot, to be sure, but too simple for me. It doesn't demand attention. It makes me wonder why this particular spot in the overworld is highlighted.

Edited by nicklegends, 14 May 2012 - 02:11 PM.

#10 MasterPlayer2342

MasterPlayer2342

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

I like the way the screen shot by Nolornbon was made. icon_smile.gif

#11 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

I had trouble voting for this one, but Nolornbon gets my vote here. I really like Orin XD's, but I feel like there is almost too much color variety for one screen. Jared's is also nice, but it's just underwhelming.

#12 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:24 AM

I voted for Orin XD, nice job.

Nolornbon: The statues in the lava don't look right to me.

Jared: That screen is too empty. The mountains were used well but other then that it seems a bit bland.

#13 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

I wanted to vote for Jared, but voting for Jared] did suffice.

#14 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

I voted for Nolornbon!

Nolornbon: Fantastically well-built palette, this mountain-statue-lava really fits and I love the feeling that this screen gives, lava-filledness is wonderful!

Orin XD: Wonderful GB dungeon with things to note and balance in design. I don't see any problem, this is at 2nd place at me!

Jared: The ground is balanced now and I love the mountain bases with the mountain-grass transition. A complete layout screen. Some more objects are needed to finalize it, at least some rocks and bushes if not something area-dependant. The upper mountain totally could use some rocky theme and I totally see diagonal-spread bushes starting from the postbox.

#15 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

I'll offer one minor critique:

Nolornbon's shot could really benefit from allowing the lava to glow. Placing some layered translucent light tiles in front of places the lava is up against might help ease the contrast -- it'd allow there to be sort of a transition between the dark night time palette and bright lava. I also agree that it should be just a little more orange, like nicklegends said.

I don't have much to say about the other shots, unfortunately. icon_frown.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users