Photo

Screenshot of the Week 287

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ (53 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#31 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:24 PM

I probably over reacted to it, because I agree with the point your making Sheik. But these two things kinda ticked me off:

QUOTE(Lemon @ Apr 11 2010, 10:34 PM) View Post

Give these tiles to someone else to edit

------

Boring boring boring boring.

Even though the latter was not directed at me. (And as nice as honesty is, I won't air my honest response the the first of those comments.)

By all means, be people should be honest and frank...I probably error on the side of being too nice in my criticism, and directness can be more effective. But seeing as all of Lemon's comments were framed by the two above, I took his tone to be pretty self-righteous and unhelpful. When he took the time to be more articulate his comments were actually really helpful, in addition to being direct.

Shifting topics, I agree with his overall assessment that it would be nice to have even more original shots (even mine is kinda sleepy), but it sure is nice to see a good turn out this week.

Edited by Jupiter, 12 April 2010 - 03:27 PM.

#32 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:27 PM

I voted for Jupiter because he has the most moons. Orbiting masses automatically generate +100 points each by my calculations.

#33 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE(Jupiter @ Apr 12 2010, 03:24 PM) View Post

By all means, be people should be honest and frank...I probably error on the side of being too nice in my criticism, and directness can be more effective. But seeing as all of Lemon's comments were framed by the two above, I took his tone to be pretty self-righteous and unhelpful. When he took the time to be more articulate his comments were actually really helpful, in addition to being direct.

I actually agree with you; the give them to someone else comment was uncalled for and way to extreme. I apologize for that. I can't say I'm self-righteous though, I critique my own stuff just as harshly in my head (and often times find myself wondering what great errs Picasso saw in his work, or Gustav Klimt).

Though the boring, boring, boring comment I stand firmly by; as it's my reaction to almost all shots, and is the most simple way I can put it.

#34 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:19 AM

Well that was a nice and reasonable response Sir Lemon.

Also, I'm sure that many of the best artists agonized over their own creations and the flaws they saw in their own works...then again, they often think pretty highly of themselves. Here are two quotes of astonishing conceit:

"My mother said to me, 'If you are a soldier, you will become a general. If you are a monk, you will become the Pope.' Instead, I was a painter, and became Picasso."

--Pablo Picasso (obviously)

"There comes a moment in every person's life when they realize they adore me."

--Salvador Dali

The second one is pretty damn great, I sometimes think the same icon_lol.gif

...that said I just submitted for the next SotW, and I am certainly aware of the shot's flaws! I did try to be non-boring though icon_freak.gif

Edited by Jupiter, 13 April 2010 - 12:29 AM.

#35 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:23 PM

I voted for sheik simply for the reason that Lemon did not.

AKA, it's a simple screen that fits right into the adventure, it does not try to stand out to much and it's relaxed. Without screens like these, the screens you want to stand out won't stand out. =P

IMO it's a great design choice to make some screens less detailed then the others in order to make the detailed ones stick out more.

...and I like the way Sheik captured the OoA/OoS glow in that shot!

#36 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:47 PM

Impressive week. Thumbs up from me on all of them.

Jupiter - 8/10
I love the farmhouses and how you fit them on the rest of the screen. What you did to design it is very appropriate. My vote went here.

Sheik - 7/10
Another quality gameboy screen. While it looks like something I have seen many times before (thus it's not all that interesting), there really isn't anything for me to criticize designwise.

Dawnlight - 7/10
Looks very appealing and well organized. No complaints here either.

Molten Onyx - 7/10
Superior graphics, overall pleasantness, and certainly unique. Good design, but I can't be convinced it was the biggest effort of the five.

Moo2wo - 7/10
It also looks like more of what I have seen many times, but it is still a well designed screen. The grass details are stellar.

#37 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:54 AM

I don't know they were all good but i just had to vote for jupiter

#38 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:10 PM

Voted for Jupiter. It was really tough.

#39 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:59 PM

Thanks to the people who liked mine. I would reply to the individual comments, but that would take a while.

#40 lightdestroyer

lightdestroyer

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:41 PM

Jupiter : Mrm...the houses bothers me a little. They seems a little big for my taste. But it's a solid shot, nice job.

Sheik : Well, the screen is a lot like the GB ones : simplistic, easy to travel through and nice to the eye. But I'm not a fan of this tileset.

Dawnlight : Wow...just wow. I had to vote for this. I adore the atmosphere in this shot, the details are well used and the colors give a soothing feeling. Though, it would be a good idea to vary the tints of the trees and the fairies.

Molten Onyx : I always loved Chrono Trigger and this screen is well made. However, it doesn't have enough eye-candies. I'm sure it would be nicer with some bushes.

Moo2wo : I think the MC Octorok is a little too style-clashy. He doesn't have a black outline. Except from that, I like it.

#41 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:12 PM

It's great to be back into showing some SotW screens. I'm always the underdog (as usual icon_razz.gif). Thanks for the comments guys!

#42 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:30 AM

QUOTE(lightdestroyer @ Apr 14 2010, 04:41 PM) View Post

Molten Onyx : I always loved Chrono Trigger and this screen is well made. However, it doesn't have enough eye-candies. I'm sure it would be nicer with some bushes.

Maybe people should read before posting? I made a mistake once I not saying where but a few people might know. As MO says: Chrono Trigger is a low-detailed-eye candy quest and if you add to much it kills the screen I don't play it but I well know it.

Edited by Midnight_King, 15 April 2010 - 03:33 AM.

#43 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:36 AM

Jupiter:

Hmm, Golden Sun cottages. Interesting. I actually ripped those myself, separately. Since I don't remember ever posting anything, you must've ripped them from Golden Sun yourself. My compliments on figuring out the proper tile pattern, but the coloring could use work. Why are the beams green? They should look wooden. I recommend using 8-bit if possible, or else you won't have access to enough colors for these tiles. Either that or use the same browns on the rooves and the beams.

Sheik:

Nothing at all wrong with having a screen like this in your game, but why showcase it? There just isn't enough going on here. Besides the owl statue, it's just two enemies walking around, and Link doing... something.

And you lack a subscreen. This is a problem with numerous entries this week.

Dawnlight:

Much the same as Sheik, you have a great screen design, but there's nothing going on. No subscreen, no player character, no dialogue. You have fairies, which are more interesting than enemies, but nothing's happening, so it's nothing but landscape.

The atmosphere, however, is pretty nice. Just make sure you do something with it and this little pathway will be a good locale.

Molten Onyx:

I see CT mountains and Glenn... and not much else. Excellent rip job, but this screenshot shows off a tileset, not a quest. Judged as a gameplay shot, it's just an empty cliff path, albeit a well-drawn one.

And once again, no subscreen.

Moo2wo:

Hmm, nice palette. It breathes new life into old tiles. And while there's nothing terribly surprising going on on this screen, at least there's enough for the viewer to imagine actually playing it. I see enemies, a bombable cave, and heart piece I would want to track down if I were playing.

And you have a subscreen. With decent, functional-looking icons. Great.

Despite its simplicity, I'm going to go with Moo2wo's screen on account of its completeness and appealing asthetics. It just looks the most compelling as something one might consider playing.

#44 lightdestroyer

lightdestroyer

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE(Midnight_King @ Apr 15 2010, 04:30 AM) View Post

Maybe people should read before posting? I made a mistake once I not saying where but a few people might know. As MO says: Chrono Trigger is a low-detailed-eye candy quest and if you add to much it kills the screen I don't play it but I well know it.

Heh, I don't want to insult you but you shouldn't answer me like that. I perfectly know Chrono Trigger and screens aren't empty like this one.

#45 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Apr 15 2010, 09:36 AM) View Post

Jupiter:

Hmm, Golden Sun cottages. Interesting. I actually ripped those myself, separately. Since I don't remember ever posting anything, you must've ripped them from Golden Sun yourself. My compliments on figuring out the proper tile pattern, but the coloring could use work. Why are the beams green? They should look wooden. I recommend using 8-bit if possible, or else you won't have access to enough colors for these tiles. Either that or use the same browns on the rooves and the beams.

Thanks for the compliments and advice. Much appreciated (hope you're feeling well, btw).

Yes, I ripped them myself and made some (minuscule) edits icon_wink.gif . I posted a link to a site with all the Golden Sun graphics in the "Custom Tile Showcase" about a week ago if anyone else is interested. These are using the exact same number of colors as the source art from GS (depending on the colors I use I layer on the crossbeams and parts of the roof), so 8 bit is not necessary...and it reduces the options if one wants to use different colors.

I've fessed up to the fact that some different colors would help the shot, but I am *highly resistant* to the belief that the crossbeams must look like plain wood. I have no problem wood, don't get me wrong, wood is good. But many of yous probably live in a painted dwellings...if not all of you. The pyramids in Egypt were painted once upon a time people...certainly some houses in a fantasy game that features walking red & blue octopi that shoot rocks from their snouts can handle colored painted wood...it's not even unrealistic...there are numerous farmhouses with painted crossbeams in my home town.

But to each his own.

With that same spirit, I don't understand why lack of a subscreen matters much for this competition. Yeah, a cool subscreen is a plus...but I'm more interested in aesthetics and layout--no subscreen is not a minus in my book, but [repeat paragraph four]. icon_lol.gif

Edited by Jupiter, 15 April 2010 - 11:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users