Photo

Harvest Moon SNES tileset.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you want/use a HM tileset.

So, should i make a HM tileset.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:18 PM

Ripping tiles from a ROM isn't too difficult if the emulator has a tile viewer. Usually, though, the graphics are seperated into 8x8 pixel tiles, but you can easily put the tile page into Paint or a similar program and put the tiles together to make 16x16 pixel tiles.

#17 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:21 PM

Do you know which emulators have tile viewers?
BTW I'm not asking for a link just a name so I can google it.

EDIT: oh ya I'm using ROMview and the tiles seem t be in 8x8 format but the problem is that it isn't ripping all of the tiles.

Edited by Evan the great, 17 February 2007 - 02:24 PM.

#18 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:40 PM

I don't know of a good SNES emulator... Normally I rip from GBA games. I use Visual Boy Advance, which is undeniably the best GBA emulator. It has a Tile Viewer, Palette Viewer, and Map Viewer; 'tis quite useful for tile ripping.

#19 Valerie

Valerie

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:01 PM

I found an unpassworded version of my quest, I opened it up and took screenshots of the tile pages with the (hopefully) correct Cset. There are some pallettes missing I think, ZC didn't have enough room to fit some of them, like the place where you can take a bath in a big pool, the pallette for that seems to be missing, though the tiles are in this zip file. Lots of the tiles look odd in these pics, but you can still grab them and the Cset into ZC from them, though some pallettes are missing, don't know how many for sure, I never had them all ripped. As far as I know all of the outdoor tiles are here, and some indoor. Also please give me credit if you use these, say my name as something like "Valerie (VEL)" I originally ripped most of these from screenshots that I took when using the Zsnes emulator.

Valerie's Harvest Moon Tiles of DOOM!!!!

Edited by Valerie, 17 February 2007 - 03:01 PM.

#20 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:23 PM

OHhhhh thank you sooo much Valerie!!!

#21 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:29 PM

Evan the Great: Yeah, ROMView is pretty much your only option for ripping graphic data directly from an SMC. The SNES uses 8x8 blocks instead of 16x16, but that's what the overlap feature in ZC is for. It depends on the game, but some ROMs will already have everything laid out in 16x16 blocks for you (BS-Zelda rips in perfectly...). I've never looked at Harvest Moon, but some ROMs (Like TotR -___-) the 8x8 blocks are arranged in a total mess and you'll have to do a lot of work yourself. Also, the images saved in ROMView will have the palettes intact, just in case you didn't know that...

Sharon: Do you know of any way to rip things from the tile viewer and the palette remaining unaltered? Every time I save as a BMP (or a PNG) the palette is condensed and all screwed up.

#22 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:56 AM

Wow! Thanks Valerie! I *might* have some use for these

QUOTE(Sharon Daniel @ Feb 17 2007, 07:40 PM) View Post
I don't know of a good SNES emulator... Normally I rip from GBA games. I use Visual Boy Advance, which is undeniably the best GBA emulator. It has a Tile Viewer, Palette Viewer, and Map Viewer; 'tis quite useful for tile ripping.

I agree. Minish Cap's graveyard is giving me problems with these though icon_confused.gif

Sharon: Do you know of any way to rip things from the tile viewer and the palette remaining unaltered? Every time I save as a BMP (or a PNG) the palette is condensed and all screwed up

This is what I do.
First I go to the pallete viewer, and find which CSet I want in ZQ.
I then open ZQuest, and go to a blank level pallete.
On the Pallete Viewer, click on the colour you want. You should then see at the bottom a large square with the colour in and three RGB numbers next to it.
In ZC, use the Numeric Keypad to make this colour using DOUBLE of the RBG numbers you see next to the colour square, and this should get you the exact same colour.
Repeat 15 more times for the other colours. icon_wink.gif

Edited by Limzo, 18 February 2007 - 09:00 AM.

#23 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 18 February 2007 - 02:11 PM

Update! I should have some scrrenies up soon!

EDIT:YAY IPB ImageIPB Image

ENJOY icon_wink.gif

Edited by Evan the great, 19 February 2007 - 01:59 AM.

#24 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:28 AM

I think I have all the farm tiles combo'd now and now I'm starting work on the inside of the main character's house.

I'll have some more screen shots up soon icon_wink.gif

#25 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:48 AM

Some of those Harvest Moon tiles are awesome. icon_smile.gif I think you should go for it.

However, don't set your plans in stone. It's not necessary to go all-or-nothing when it comes to tiles. Just start ripping stuff and putting it into a ZC-friendly format. Remember that a tileset requires a very large amount of planning and organization to be complete; if that doesn't end up being conducive or a useful thing to do, then scrap the idea and focus on simple rips.

At that point you can just put the tiles (and various palettes) into ZC-compatible GIF files and submit them as loose tiles. If that's not enough to transmit all the content you've compiled, then a QST file could be useful. Just don't try to make it a functional tileset unless it lends itself to that usage. After all, you can either build with it as-is, or you can't, so why not be straight with the developers and tell them whether or not it's fit for questbuilding?... They'll thank you in the end. (And if they don't, then screw 'em. icon_razz.gif )

QUOTE(Evan the great @ Feb 17 2007, 11:03 AM) View Post

Valerie I only have one question for you...HOW DOD YOU RIP THOSE TILES SO F***ING NICLY???

I'm trying to use ROMview and all the tiles come out pretty crappy.

It's either an accurate representation of the tiles, or its not. icon_confused2.gif

When in doubt, sometimes it's best to go into the emulator, turn various layers on and off, and rip directly from the screen captures. If you have a suitable paint program, then that'll often produce the best results, even if you have to end up recoloring tiles and rearranging the palette once you get it into ZQuest.

#26 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:08 AM

ROMView gives the data exactly how it is in the SNES's VRAM. It depends on the game as to how easy it is to rip from in the program. In some ROMs, the programmers were nice enough to lay everything out in terms of 16x16, and in the direct form they appear in on the ROM. Take BS-Zelda for an example:

IPB Image

The majority of the tiles here are layed out in 16x16 and are ready to be ripped into ZC within a few seconds. Simple, right?

Well, in other ROMs the programmers were lazy and the 8x8 tiles are arranged in a total mess where you can't tell what is what. Like TotR...

IPB Image

Ouch... I've seen worse, although this is definitely not as easy as BS-Zelda was. For this ROM, we'll have to make use of the Step utility in the grabber (press the "S" key, and drag the mouse around :O), and use the overlay tool and the Alt-Arrows to put everything in order ourselves. Also, here's another tip. Click on the box in the tile editor with the white boxes so it becomes a rectangle, and now you can select rectangular shapes instead of just rows. Now that it's selected, use the Alt-arrow keys and be amazed, everything in the image moves! Select more tiles then there are in the image and you can move a large object around easily.

#27 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:40 AM

Revfan9:

I think BS Zelda was probably like that because it was a reprogrammed version of the original Zelda, which only dealt with 16x16 pixel tiles and nothing else (neither bigger nor smaller).

I hope your instructions are useful to others. icon_smile.gif If you end up writing much more than that, consider putting it into tutorial form so it can be archived somewhere...

#28 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Feb 21 2007, 04:40 AM) View Post

Revfan9:

I think BS Zelda was probably like that because it was a reprogrammed version of the original Zelda, which only dealt with 16x16 pixel tiles and nothing else (neither bigger nor smaller).

Well, that kind of makes sense, as the SNES's processor is backwards-compatible with the 6502, although there would be a bit of coding still involved.

Anyhow, the "R" key when ripping from screenshots (if you already have the palette) is your best friend if you can't make out what something is suppossed to be.

#29 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Feb 21 2007, 09:40 AM) View Post
Revfan9:

I hope your instructions are useful to others. icon_smile.gif If you end up writing much more than that, consider putting it into tutorial form so it can be archived somewhere...

icon_cry.gif

What about my information right up at the top of the page? icon_cry.gif

Can GBA ripping and SNES ripping not go together?

#30 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:41 PM

Well, ROMView gives you the direct palette the SNES uses when you save the image. ZC's Cset system was designed to work the same way as the SNES (except on the SNES, you can change out all of the Csets), so you've already got the tile's original Cset, without having to copy RGB values, which is annoying. Maybe we'll get a utility with GBA palette ripping abilities equivilant to ROMView someday...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users