Sorry :( Nintendo told me that we aren't allowed to use their char

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 21 January 2018 - 04:09 AM

So when I sent them a message asking if I could make a fan game...

"We applaud your efforts at game development and encourage you to become a developer if he hasn't already done so. Please understand, however, that you do not have our permission to develop software using Nintendo trademarks—even if you have become a licensed Nintendo developer. Games featuring Nintendo trademarks are usually developed internally or by business partners. Please focus your efforts on creating your own intellectual property as you develop your software."

Well, guys, I guess it's official. If you release a custom quest it can't have any Nintendo trademarks or other owned stuff in it. Because as Bible says "Render unto Caesar's what is Caesar's, and render unto God what is God's".
  • Shane, coolgamer012345 and Matthew like this

#2 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 21 January 2018 - 04:22 AM

With this, it has been asked since the beginning of ZC. Zelda Classic has been around since early 1999, so almost 20 years now, and people have been releasing quests using the world and characters from the Zelda series. Nothing has come of it this entire time. Zelda Classic has been covered in magazines, along with being part of an episode of The Screensaver on the now non-existant TechTV. We've been around for this long, so I am pretty sure Nintendo knows about us, and at this point in time, we serve no threat to their IP. I wouldn't exactly go straight up to Nintendo, and ask them flat out if I could use their IPs, because obviously the answer would be no. I would recommend not bringing Zelda Classic to their attention, as it could lead to the end of ZC and the many quests that have been made, or are being made. We're here in our quiet corner of the internet, minding out own business.

• Anthus, Adem, Shane and 5 others like this

#3 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:20 AM

This is pretty funny ^ _ ^  "Because as Bible says "Render unto Caesar's what is Caesar's, and render unto God what is God's". "

The thing is there is no way Nintendo can tell you it is ever okay to make games with their IPs, especially if you don't specify that it isn't for profit. Nintendo and basically all companies do tolerate some fan made content though because it only benefits their brand. It's like fan art of IPs. It's technically not legal but companies don't go after artists like that because fan art overall helps people channel their passion for an IP. Zelda Classic does basically the same thing. If you are worried about legal ramifications, nothing will happen for so many reasons. If you're worried about ethical concerns, I reaallly don't think creators of the games care at all and they would probably think it is good that other people love their ideas enough to make up their own stories using them. Like most artists love fan fiction, fan games, fan art, and so on. It's somewhat of an honor to develop a fandom enough to make stuff like that. Do whatever you want though. People will continue using NIntendo stuff in Zelda Classic.

-Strike
  • Neppy, Shane and Matthew like this

#4 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

Stuff like fan art is legal as long as you're not making profit. But I can see how distributing it to the public could cause competition concerns and C&Ds.

#5 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:12 PM

Stuff like fan art is legal as long as you're not making profit.

This isn't true. Distributing fan art (i.e. uploading it to the internet) is not legal, even if you're not making profit. Companies would be within their legal rights to shut down any fan art. But they usually don't do it, because the cons (upsetting fans and looking bad) greatly outweigh the pros (none, pretty much).

• strike, Matthew and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#6 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:19 PM

I've always wondered why ZC is in this weird safe copyright purgatory. Not that I'm complaining, but when Mario Maker came out, I got kind of worried. "What if they want to do a Zelda Maker?" Having a free thing that does that might not help them too much. They shut down AM2R, a free game, after 10 years. They took down Flappy Birds, another free game that used graphics very similar to SMW. They are consistently going after flash games using Mario, and other characters. AM2R and FB were hugely popular, and had hundreds of thousands of downloads. Crappy flash games on NewGrounds might cloud the brand. ZC isn't that big, so maybe that's why?

Maybe they just don't care? Even that's a weird reason, cause legally, companies are required to protect their IPs even if they don't want to. Maybe it is because ZC, even though it is obviously Zelda, was made from the ground up? Didn't work for AM2R. Idk.

Or maybe.. Maybe.. Reggie, and Miyamoto like playing ZC quests, and secretly harvest ideas for their games! It's well known that Miyamoto was active here a few years back.

• Timelord likes this

#7 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:25 PM

Where did Nintendo say anything about the bible?

#8 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:28 PM

It's well known that Miyamoto was active here a few years back.

Oh yeah, that one quest he made..."The Legend of Zelda" I think? That was pretty cool. Anybody know what happened to it?

• Anthus, Adem and Matthew like this

#9 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:35 PM

I guess I'm going to get in trouble by Nintendo. Better get a good lawyer.

#10 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:21 PM

This isn't true. Distributing fan art (i.e. uploading it to the internet) is not legal, even if you're not making profit. Companies would be within their legal rights to shut down any fan art. But they usually don't do it, because the cons (upsetting fans and looking bad) greatly outweigh the pros (none, pretty much).

I never said distributing fan art was legal, I said making it was legal  :whap:

If you read closer, you'll see that I said distribution was likely to cause issues, but said nothing about the legality of distribution.

#11 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:40 PM

"Render unto Caesar's what is Caesar's, and render unto God what is God's".

We're not making any money off of it, so there's nothing to render.

#12 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 21 January 2018 - 04:49 PM

Unless we get a C&D, I'm staying here.

If not, ZoriaRPG is getting together a bunch of open assets, so if we get the C&D, we can (eventually) switch to those. We'd probably have to shut down for a little bit, but it would smooth itself out.

• Neppy likes this

#13 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:52 PM

I don't get what Nintendo not giving us a DMCA has to do with whether we are respecting their wishes or not.

We're not making any money off of it, so there's nothing to render.

What I meant was that since they owned Zelda, you had to respect how they wanted you to use it.

#14 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:52 PM

I don't get what Nintendo not giving us a DMCA has to do with whether we are respecting their wishes or not.

What I meant was that since they owned Zelda, you had to respect how they wanted you to use it.

This is so true. I'm dropping all my projects right now.

#15 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:58 PM

It might be a matter of respect for laws but not for Nintendo. 

-Strike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users