• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:59 PM

Be creative and make it enjoyable for yourself. ;O

Edited by Avataro, 01 November 2017 - 08:10 PM.

• Rastael, Shane, Eddy and 4 others like this

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:16 PM

"Just keep making screens" seems to be a workable strategy. Sure beats "Get hung up on game design rules and never finish the thing." :P

• Anthus, Rastael, Russ and 6 others like this

#3 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:26 PM

Well that's a good idea too I guess. Especially if you wanna make steady progress.

#4 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:30 PM

Simple way to cure cancer: Be creative and make it enjoyable for yourself. ;O

I mean, I appreciate the sentiment and it's good to motivate people to create... but it's not exactly true now is it? :P I'd argue that there is no "simple" way to make your quest great. Great quests take talent and, more importantly, effort.

Instead I'd like to offer a more realistic (though perhaps not as motivating) statement: don't strive to make a "great" quest, strive to make a quest to the best of your ability that you can be proud of. If, at the end of the day you can look back and say "Heck yeah, I made that." you've succeeded.

Oh and one more thing: over-ambition and a desire to make a "great" quest is, at least 95% of the time, a quest killer. The vast, vast, VAST majority of quests never get completed, and this is almost always due to lofty ambitions. If you want to complete your quest, start small. Aim for a short, tight experience that you can realistically complete in a few months at most, well before fatigue starts to sink in. A small quest that gets finished is better than 100 "great" quests that never see the light of day. If, after your small quest, you want to push yourself further, THEN aim bigger.

• Anthus, Sheik, Avaro and 1 other like this

#5 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:50 PM

While yeah, I kinda agree with what you are saying i still stand by what I posted. This isnt about how to finish your quest, but about how to make it better quality wise.

#6 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:59 PM

Ah I see what you're saying. In that case I can't argue - something that's creative and fun will generally make your quest better. :P

EDIT: Though on that note, I'm still going to repeat myself: "A small quest that gets finished is better than 100 "great" quests that never see the light of day.". Being creative and having fun CAN make your quest better... but what's the point if the quest is never released?

Edited by NoeL, 01 November 2017 - 09:02 PM.

#7 TheRock

TheRock

Go glitches

• Members

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:04 PM

Make every screen have it's own identity.

#8 Tabletpillow

Tabletpillow

Hi

• Members

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:34 PM

How to make your quest great:

Spoiler

• Eddy, David and Naru like this

#9 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:46 PM

Make ZQuest great again.

• Shane, Eddy, Sheik and 3 others like this

#10 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:52 PM

A good rule of thumb is, don't make a new quest file for every new idea, or graphic you want to test. Also, don't tell yourself you'll combine it all later, cause you probably won't.

• Avaro, Jenny and Lüt like this

#11 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:39 AM

Simple way to cure cancer: Be creative and make it enjoyable for yourself. ;O

I mean, I appreciate the sentiment and it's good to motivate people to create... but it's not exactly true now is it? :P I'd argue that there is no "simple" way to make your quest great. Great quests take talent and, more importantly, effort.

Instead I'd like to offer a more realistic (though perhaps not as motivating) statement: don't strive to make a "great" quest, strive to make a quest to the best of your ability that you can be proud of. If, at the end of the day you can look back and say "Heck yeah, I made that." you've succeeded.

Oh and one more thing: over-ambition and a desire to make a "great" quest is, at least 95% of the time, a quest killer. The vast, vast, VAST majority of quests never get completed, and this is almost always due to lofty ambitions. If you want to complete your quest, start small. Aim for a short, tight experience that you can realistically complete in a few months at most, well before fatigue starts to sink in. A small quest that gets finished is better than 100 "great" quests that never see the light of day. If, after your small quest, you want to push yourself further, THEN aim bigger.

Avataro's just trying to be clever, I believe you're overthinking it. :P

#12 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:51 AM

Reminder on how to make your quest great: Accept that it won't be great.

• Rastael and Matthew like this

#13 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:20 AM

A few Peahats never hurt!

#14 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:08 AM

Eddy's Troll Day is creative and enjoyable for me so that means it's a great quest

Mission accomplished! 

• Shane, Eddy and Jenny like this

#15 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:21 PM

I know I'll never make a quest as great as the DayDay series.
  • Shane, Eddy, Jenny and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users