Photo

Screenshot of the Week 551

Jared Joelmacool Shane Cukeman

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 551 (60 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:59 PM

Cukeman. Not an easy decision for me, but this is a little easier than last week. I for one love the classic tilesets a bunch, but i do understand everyone's concerns.

You know, I really like classic too. Even though I voted Shane, I've come to like classic shots more and more over my two years of ZC. I probably would have voted for him if Shane didn't compete

Edited by FlameCursed, 21 March 2016 - 03:59 PM.

• MermaidCim likes this

#17 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:24 PM

Voted for Jared.

Joelmacool - it's a really great shot. 5/5 on the overall structure and design. If NPCs and Link were in the shot, that would make it even better.

Jared - the triforces in the pavement is a nice touch. This is a very nice city shot and I'm glad you figured out how you wanted to do it. You really need NPCs and Link in the shot though, but maybe that's redundant to say at this point.

Shane - excellent, I also like the whole part where you use a key to enter the dungeon. Link's presence in the shot would have given you a few more points for me.

Cukeman - out of all the shots, I'd want to play this quest the most. Also, props for the submitting the riskiest shot.

I'm actually very impressed by the turnout this week. All around fantastic shots.

• MermaidCim and Jared like this

#18 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:11 PM

the one of cukeman is the more original, this time  i voted for him.

Shane : nice colors, i really like a lot of your screenshots with these colors

Joel and Jared  : nice towns ! but maybe add some inhabitants  would have enlivened the scene

• MermaidCim likes this

#19 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:16 PM

Okay, I'm just going to comment now. Why are so many people talking about no NPCs in the town? They're not the focus of the shot. It's called screenshot of the week, not NPC of the week.

The focus is to show off the screen design, not playability.

• Shane and Orithan like this

#20 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:23 PM

Okay, I'm just going to comment now. Why are so many people talking about no NPCs in the town? They're not the focus of the shot. It's called screenshot of the week, not NPC of the week.

Probably because NPC's are part of the aesthetic. Without NPC's in a place usually populated with people, the town seems more like a ghost town rather than the bustling and lively city it should be. That's just my own two cents though. They're all nice screens, regardless.

• The Satellite and Cukeman like this

#21 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:56 PM

The term 'screenshot' dates back to the days before we had screen capture devices, when people would literally take a photo of their television screen. Naturally you would see the character, NPCs, enemies, HUD, etc. No one got to see in-development game content*. So, yeah screenshot means "image of gameplay". I get that's not what your going for in this particular case, but it is the title of the contest...

*Of course nowadays we can take screen captures in-game (and we can even turn off layers to isolate the background if we want).

#22 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 22 March 2016 - 04:30 AM

It's all about the presentation.

Essentially with no characters in the shot, it makes it hard for me to discern a story. I end up seeing a well-constructed game designer's mock of a city street. I would be much more impressed by a shot that convinces me there's something happening in that world.

Overall, I would really suggest having Link in the shot at the very least. You know what would make an incredible presentation of your screenshot? Link standing beneath the light of a street lamp on the quiet, empty, nighttime streets of Hyrule Castle Town. Maybe an NPC stands in the shadows? Such a scene would make me wonder what sort of strange things are happening in Castle Town's underbelly, ultimately making the shot more compelling and more charming.

Another presentation could be simply Link walking through the bustling midday streets of Castle Town. Would make me wonder what the story of NPCs are and would make me wonder what sort of things I can do in Castle Town.

Your screenshot is well designed and the graphics are appealing. The NPC suggestions would mostly help your presentation. And since this is a contest, great presentation can really help the wow factor in your shot.

By the way, having Link/a protagonist in your shot would improve the presentation of nearly everyone's shots this week. Cukeman nailed it on the presentation this week. I love that there are a whole bunch of gorons walking to that race track, it makes me wonder what the race is like, it makes me want to explore the world he's conveying more.

I also love that Link is standing next to that one goron, it makes me think Link is engaged in some sort of conversation with that goron, as he asks what all the fuss about the races is. I ultimately didn't vote Cukeman mostly because the tileset isn't entirely appealing to me, but that came down to personal tastes.

Edited by Strato, 22 March 2016 - 04:31 AM.

• MermaidCim, The Satellite, Jared and 5 others like this

#23 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:41 PM

there was not bad intention in my comment, maybe is just a my way to see the things but people ( NPC or not ) are part of the town.

The screenshot of Joel has smoke coming out of the chimney and i, imagining being inside as a player, realize that even if people are locked in the houses they are "present", even if I would like see at least a person ( eg  a fisherman near that river)

Your town is really nice but the only sign of  presence of human beings is the good condition of the city, which shows that the site is not abandoned, I do not see what's so wrong with saying that I would have liked it more if there was someone, maybe two people talking to each other or few children playing in the street..

A screenshot of a ruin on a mountain don't need people, 'cause is supposed that is in a isolated place.

Edited by Dark Ice Dragon, 22 March 2016 - 02:46 PM.

#24 MermaidCim

MermaidCim

Yes I'm that guy who dreamt Dani was Zelda. LOL Cimfam/zelda

• Members

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:04 PM

It's all about the presentation.

Essentially with no characters in the shot, it makes it hard for me to discern a story. I end up seeing a well-constructed game designer's mock of a city street. I would be much more impressed by a shot that convinces me there's something happening in that world.

Overall, I would really suggest having Link in the shot at the very least. You know what would make an incredible presentation of your screenshot? Link standing beneath the light of a street lamp on the quiet, empty, nighttime streets of Hyrule Castle Town. Maybe an NPC stands in the shadows? Such a scene would make me wonder what sort of strange things are happening in Castle Town's underbelly, ultimately making the shot more compelling and more charming.

Another presentation could be simply Link walking through the bustling midday streets of Castle Town. Would make me wonder what the story of NPCs are and would make me wonder what sort of things I can do in Castle Town.

Your screenshot is well designed and the graphics are appealing. The NPC suggestions would mostly help your presentation. And since this is a contest, great presentation can really help the wow factor in your shot.

By the way, having Link/a protagonist in your shot would improve the presentation of nearly everyone's shots this week. Cukeman nailed it on the presentation this week. I love that there are a whole bunch of gorons walking to that race track, it makes me wonder what the race is like, it makes me want to explore the world he's conveying more.

I also love that Link is standing next to that one goron, it makes me think Link is engaged in some sort of conversation with that goron, as he asks what all the fuss about the races is. I ultimately didn't vote Cukeman mostly because the tileset isn't entirely appealing to me, but that came down to personal tastes.

agreed. The presentation is very important. NPC suggestions do help with your presentation

That said, my vote simply came down to what jumped out at me most.

#25 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:15 PM

With 41.82% of the vote, the winner of Screenshot of the Week 551 is Jared!

Jared.png

Congratulations!

Voting totals:
- Joelmacool (4 votes [7.27%])
- Jared (23 votes [41.82%])
- Shane (19 votes [34.55%])
- Cukeman (9 votes [16.36%])

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jared, Joelmacool, Shane, Cukeman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users