• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:33 PM

Hey guys!

So its been a long time. Its been a long, LONG time. But Ive recently had an urge that was calling me back to ZC. And Ive got more to say to you guys than youd care to hear, so I'll try to be short . :augh:

Ive been through a lot of personal stuff the past couple years, and I never really had access to my old computer and my quest files. I've held off on making a post for this, but Ive redesigned a couple of my areas and made some new ones as well. Basically, I think Ive made enough progress that I feel confident making an update (thats also why you rarely see updates from me).

So my first demo came out a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, the only thing available to show was the opening cutscene to the game. I didnt have enough solid content to make it worth playing any of it. But a lot of progress has been made since then, and I can say confidently that I am coming close to releasing a demo for The Fight For Balace,

This is a very brief explanation of the games progression:

Start:
Dungeon 1
Dungeon 2
Dungeon 3
Branch
Final Dungeon

Dont be fooled by the small list, the game has a lot of content to it. The "Branch" section is where the entire world opens up, and you can continue your quest for the 100%, or "Good/True Ending". There are more dungeons and areas to travel through, but they wont necessarily be required to beat the game (AKA a "Bad Ending").

If everything goes as planned, Id like to have everything up to the dungeon 3 boss finished for the demo. And playing everything up until the end of the 2nd dungeon gets me about an hour of gameplay if I 100% it, so there will at least be a decent amount of content for you guys. Theres just a couple more roadblocks in my way. The main one is figuring out how to design the 3rd dungeon. I need some interior tree wall-tiles unless I can think of a good subsitute, which I may have an idea on.

But hey! If you've read this far, I want to thank you, so I will! Here is a couple sneak peaks at what I have been up to recently, I hope you enjoy! And if you have any questions or critique, please feel free to let me know!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Updated shots for dungeon 2 - The Sand Shrine:

Posted Image Posted Image

A snippet of my latest map - The Elderwood. Its believed that the Elderwood is the area where all life on Ondore was first created. There are going to be shadows over several of the screens from the giant tree, but they are not yet implemented:

https://i.imgur.com/3PloAky.png
  • Anthus, Russ, Shane and 6 others like this

#2 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:18 PM

Oh man, it's great to see you back and it's good to see you haven't given up on this. PTUX/Pure Rememberance have become underused as of late and seeing it make a comeback along with this project is refreshing news. :)

• Anthus, Octorockoncrack and Deedee like this

#3 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:13 AM

I was wondering what happened to this quest, but hey nice to see there has been quite a bit of progress on this! Looking forward to trying out that demo when it comes!

• Octorockoncrack and Shane like this

#4 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:21 PM

Thank you guys. Its humbling to know that you guys are still interested in this, even though its been put off for so long. Theres been too much work put into this to turn back, but theres a lot of work to be done as well.

Since Im here, theres one other thing that I wanted to point out for this post. As I explained earlier, I plan on releasing a demo once everything up to the 3rd boss is finished. To get to that point, this is the list of things that need to be done before that demo can be released:

-several cutscenes still need to be made/edited (most of these are very minor, and I already know exactly how to make them, but there are a couple more complicated/important cutscenes that still need to be developed)

-the very end of dungeon 2 (mostly cutscene)

-connect the end of dungeon 2 and The Elderwood (cutscene/secret carry-over)

-caves in The Elderwood

-dungeon 3: The Great Maple (this is a big one)

-block overworld areas that can be accessed with the dungeon 3 item

-cutscene before the dungeon 3 boss (this is another big one because it explains a lot about the story/plot of the game. It is really a turning point in the quest. Think about it like OoT. You beat the first 3 dungeons, then the story kicks in to full-gear after that)

-any changes or tweaks that need to be made before the demo is released (mostly cutscene)

Since I sometimes feel like I am stingy with my content, so heres some more stuff!:

Music (MIDI versions, of course):

Title Theme: https://youtu.be/w7EHWtZPsCw

The Great Maple (Dungeon 3): https://youtu.be/LWkuo3xGRPE

5qkvOV3.png UhoeWLr.png BZ3HAiP.png

J8HSiQv.png IJQwKm8.png

This quest project has been up for quite a long time, but things are really starting to take shape within just the past couple of weeks. If I can keep this progress up, you should at least get a demo before the summer is here. There is no possible way to guarantee that it will be something that you like, but I can guarantee that you will see that this quest is very unique, and will set itself aside from other quests. You guys have been extremely patient, just hold on a little longer...just a little longer...

Edited by Octorockoncrack, 26 March 2018 - 09:20 PM.

• Shane, Eddy, Sheik and 1 other like this

#5 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:37 PM

Man, you know how long I've been waiting for your quest. Glad to see it continuing and I'm SO excited for your demo! Good luck on finishing it up!!

#6 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 28 March 2018 - 05:27 PM

So, just checking in to make a small update.

As far as the demo is concerned, I should have all of the caves areas done, unless I want to start making the library or milk bar before the demo. Forest area is just about done as well, only a couple minor things to add.

From there its just a matter of making the entrance to the forest, Dungeon 3, and cutscenes.

• Eddy and Jared like this

#7 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:38 PM

This looks like something I'd play. I have a soft spot for PTUX, and I'm glad to see it being used for what looks to be a well made and interesting adventure. 

• Octorockoncrack and Jared like this

#8 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:49 AM

I need some interior tree wall-tiles unless I can think of a good subsitute, which I may have an idea on.

These are from Gunple:

http://www.vgmaps.co...)-WoodTower.png

Anthus (I believe) ripped and complied them:

ZKDrPtI.png

Wonderful project. Loving the looks of everything.

Edited by Sheik, 30 March 2018 - 03:55 AM.

• Anthus and Octorockoncrack like this

#9 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:37 PM

These are from Gunple:

http://www.vgmaps.co...)-WoodTower.png

Anthus (I believe) ripped and complied them:

(pic)

Wonderful project. Loving the looks of everything.

Those could definitely help, thanks a ton! Tiles and scripts always seem to be my biggest challenges, so thats a huge help.

My original idea was to try and make walls out of the overhead tree tiles from Alttp (Zoras River). I figured I could try and stack them like the GB cave tiles, then darken the bottom wall tiles. But for it to be inside a giant tree, theres bound to be a wooden wall somewhere, so the leaves wouldnt really work anyway.

Anyways, I ramble. Thanks again for the materials and the kind words! Ive got some tile work to knock out before the next things on my list can be done. 

#10 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 30 March 2018 - 02:18 PM

One caveat with the Gunple tiles is they use a lot of colors, and you may need to recolor dungeon objects, and make alternate versions to work with this palette.

edit: I went ahead and submitted the tile package. Again, they are not exactly easy to use with other sets. [link]

• Octorockoncrack likes this

#11 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 31 March 2018 - 02:30 AM

One caveat with the Gunple tiles is they use a lot of colors, and you may need to recolor dungeon objects, and make alternate versions to work with this palette.

edit: I went ahead and submitted the tile package. Again, they are not exactly easy to use with other sets. [link]

I was able to get it so the walls fit on one cset. So if I need to use any normal dungeon objects or something similar, they can use one of the other 2 csets (Cset 9 is used in all areas). Just need to recolor them to make it darker. Problem is, I want to try blending it with some other tiles to really give it the feeling that I want to. But hey, Id much rather have that problem than not have any tiles to work with at all lol.

To give another update, I got some good cutscene work done today. Once I get a little bit more done and I feel comfortable with it, I will release another teaser for you guys, so stay tuned! :D

• Anthus likes this

#12 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:29 AM

Well, yesterday I said Id be able to show some sort of teaser if I got far enough, and I think I've done just that. 

Now, this video quality is crap. Ive been messing around with some different software, so Im still working on getting the quality right. But itll have to do for now. Id rather invest more time into getting the demo out rather than fiddling with video software that I might use every now and then.

Anyways:

https://www.youtube....h?v=b3MaBDBe7IY

• Shane, Sheik, Jared and 1 other like this

#13 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 April 2018 - 02:45 AM

Nicely done, looks fun to play, too. :)

#14 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:00 AM

Very awesome! I love your Paper Mario sound effects, and I love your music choices. Love DK64. :)

#15 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:06 PM

Just posting to make a quick update. Progress has been pretty steady

Heres something to show some more of the progress ive made, Im particularly proud of this little cutscene, even though it isnt finished yet:

https://www.youtube....h?v=mD4C_FhY4b8

• Anthus, Shane, Jared and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users