Item Drop Sets and Magic

items magic dropsets

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 silvershot

silvershot

• Members

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:39 PM

Hi. First, I can't thank everyone enough for developing a system like this. I am creating an all new quest for my sons and am basing it on the Original Zelda. All the screens and levels will be custom, but are based solely on the original gameplay and design. To this end, I have created a custom item for enemies to drop. It is a Superman symbol that will restore all hearts when picked up.

I want these to be dropped sporadically by Blue Dark Nuts and Blue Wizzrobes. Along the way, I noticed that the Blue Dark Nuts have a default drop set of Magic + Life. As I'm not including any magic items (items, meters, etc) in the quest, this leads to a few questions:

1. Does the quest, by default, have magic items involved?

2. Will these enemies drop magic items if I don't go in and change their drop sets?

3. If it does have magic items, is there a way to easily disable all magic aspects?

I have been having a lot of fun creating this - I am brand new to this and have been learning by following the tutorials you all have provided and by good old-fashioned trial and error. Any help and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by silvershot, 16 March 2020 - 02:40 PM.

• Avaro likes this

#2 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:45 PM

If an enemy has an item drop set that drops magic jars, it will drop magic jars even if your quest doesn't have a magic meter or items that use magic.

There are no mandatory items, you can make a quest that doesn't even have a sword if you want to.

You can edit the default enemy drop sets or create new ones, so if you don't use magic, just give your enemies drop sets that don't include magic jars.

#3 silvershot

silvershot

• Members

Posted 16 March 2020 - 09:10 PM

Thanks! I figured that was the case, but was hoping there was an easier way than going into each enemy individually and altering the item drop set.

#4 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 17 March 2020 - 04:24 AM

Another option is to just edit the drop sets that give magic, and remove the magic items from them. However I'd still recommend minding the item drop sets of the enemies in your quest, as this definitely influences the difficulty balance.

#5 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:41 PM

I'm pretty sure that magic will not drop if the Quest Rule "Enable Magic" is disabled; similarly, Arrows will not drop if "True Arrows" is disabled.

Also, as of version 2.55, there is a quest rule "Reroll useless drops". If this is enabled, then, drops that are not useful will not drop from enemies; for example, if your wallet is full, no rupees will drop; if your health is full, no hearts will drop.

#6 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 19 March 2020 - 05:43 AM

Also, as of version 2.55, there is a quest rule "Reroll useless drops". If this is enabled, then, drops that are not useful will not drop from enemies; for example, if your wallet is full, no rupees will drop; if your health is full, no hearts will drop.

Off-topic: does that also apply if you can't hold any arrows/rupees/etc.?

#7 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:09 AM

Off-topic: does that also apply if you can't hold any arrows/rupees/etc.?

If your max is 0 and you have 0, you are full. Same as if your max is 10 and you have 10, or if your max is 255 and you have 255.

#8 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:22 AM

Venrob is right, I actually didn't know that. So all you have to do is indeed to uncheck the "Enable magic" rule.

• Emily likes this

#9 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:26 AM

Also, I believe that if "Enable Magic" is unchecked, any items which are set to consume magic (i.e. Lens of Truth) will instead consume Rupees to function. The true arrows rule being off, likewise, makes them cost rupees, but that's a bit more obvious given that that's the NES default.

#10 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 10 April 2020 - 09:41 AM

Out of curiosity, since this is called "reroll" useless drops and not "cancel" useless drops, what happens if there are no possible useful drops for you in the dropset? Does it drop nothing, even if it normally has a 100% chance of dropping something?

#11 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:34 AM

Out of curiosity, since this is called "reroll" useless drops and not "cancel" useless drops, what happens if there are no possible useful drops for you in the dropset? Does it drop nothing, even if it normally has a 100% chance of dropping something?

It basically does cancel the useless drop- what it does is, in the calculation of what to drop, it reads '0' as the weight for useless things. So, if it reads 0 for everything, it's the same as an empty dropset- drops nothing.

#12 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 13 April 2020 - 02:14 PM

It's actually even different in my quests. I have magic enabled. However, as long as I actually don't have at least 1 possible magic unit in my magic meter, the magic jars will NOT drop. They WILL drop after I picked up my first magic container.

#13 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 14 April 2020 - 03:07 AM

It's actually even different in my quests. I have magic enabled. However, as long as I actually don't have at least 1 possible magic unit in my magic meter, the magic jars will NOT drop. They WILL drop after I picked up my first magic container.

Is that with "Reroll Useless Drops" on? Because, that's what that QR does. If not, then huh, learned something new.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: items, magic, dropsets

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users