Photo

Screenshot of the Week 51

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Which pic? (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Which pic?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 16 March 2004 - 06:14 PM

It's time for this session of "I can't draw worth anything, but I'll review these screenshots, anyway"... with your host, Nick.

Ccc:

This screen probably functions well for what it does. However, on the "SoTW" style view, the screen is symmetrical. This is the #1 thing that shouldn't happen in a shot being critiqued for looks. Work on that and it'll be a decent entry. icon_wink.gif

PrettyBoy:

This shot blew me away. The colors, tiles, ect are friggin awesome looking. *vote*

codelinker8705:

Tip: The same screenshot doesn't give you any better chance for winning, IMO. I think I already critiqued this shot, so I don't need to do it again this time... even if it does have a new layer and trees. icon_shrug.gif

user posted image user posted image

Mr.Z:

Uh... are you okay? icon_odd.gif

#17 blckscab

blckscab

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 16 March 2004 - 06:36 PM

prettyboys Screeny kicks @$$ icon_eek.gif

#18 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 March 2004 - 09:28 PM

O_O Wow, PB is kicking some serious arse. Hands down, he already won. That shot deserved every one of those votes. I've never seen someone ahead by so many votes before... wow. Once again, good job PB.

#19 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 16 March 2004 - 11:36 PM

Alrighty, here I go.

Ccc- Not too bad of a shot, some things could be added to it so it isn't too plain. I also think the floor is a bit bright.

PrettyBoy-Awesome pic. I love the colors used and good setup of the room. icon_wink.gif *votes*

codelinker8705-Good improvement from before on this shot.

Mr. Z-This is just pure craziness. I have wondered how it would be doing that. icon_lol.gif

#20 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE(Teilyr @ Mar 16 2004, 10:33 PM)
Forget that.  The purple floor is perfect for that color scheme.  In the long run, something that small won't make much of a difference, anyway.

By the way, what kind of details were you talking about, Petoe?  What is that screen missing?

Well, if you want to know...
Yes, the screen would have been better with more details. With details I mean that more different tiles could have been used, you know? Some cracked tiles here and there maybe... I dunno. But the shot lacks something.
Uh, a picture tells more than thousand words. I have a same kind of tileset under work so I'll show you what I mean when I have time. icon_wink.gif

#21 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 17 March 2004 - 12:36 PM

Well, remember, it's entirely relative to other shots. (I'm assuming that you, (Petoe,) voted for CodeLinker's shot/shots.) So suppose he added more detail, and it was this change which you appreciate. Is that a possible detail to you, Petoe? Or is it that which already is original, needs more detail despite being original. Because I'm honestly perplexed. icon_shrug.gif

I really did vote for PrettyBoy's shot because it was almost completely original, and phenominally hand-drawn. I can only hope to do that one day myself.

#22 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 17 March 2004 - 01:56 PM

Ok, I try to understand you, BH4, and all the other people who are like "OMG! thats soo awesome!!!" But the reason why PrettyBoy's shot isn't that impressive to my eyes is that I'm doing a same kind of set as PB, so I know that it is possible to make a better shot with those tiles. I've done it, and I will prove it to you all here at SOTW when I have time.

So here you have it. Though I love originality, those tiles weren't original to me. And I doubt they're hand drawn. Looks like they're ripped from Golden Sun. :\ That's why I voted coderlinker's shot. They both were as good to my eye. PB's shot was actually prettier, but the forest temple screen (or wherever it's from) just looks more interesting.

#23 PrinceMSC

PrinceMSC

Remember the Name

• Members

Posted 17 March 2004 - 04:33 PM

Those tiles are hand made except for Link, the skeletons, and the floor. And Petoe when you do submit a similar screen shot like mine, let me know so we can see whose is better through votes.

And the floor of the dungeon can either be purple or green. It cannot be blue because it will clash with the water. It cannot be orange or red because it will clash with the lava. It cannot be gray because it will clash with the walls. And it can't be brown because I have a verity of tiles that are brown it will clash with. I picked purple over green because you are out in the overworld where you see green all the time.

~PB~

#24 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 March 2004 - 05:50 PM

So here you have it. Though I love originality, those tiles weren't original to me. And I doubt they're hand drawn.

Well Petoe, that seems kind of odd. Because SoTW is something where you vote for the shot that looks "best". Those tiles are hand drawn. PB does such great tilework it can almost look like it was from an actual game. You love originality, which is why you picked Code's, correct? Well, those are all tiles from LTTP, and PB's custom made tiles look similiar to GS. So, wouldn't you say his was original as well?

And the floor of the dungeon can either be purple or green. It cannot be blue because it will clash with the water. It cannot be orange or red because it will clash with the lava. It cannot be gray because it will clash with the walls. And it can't be brown because I have a verity of tiles that are brown it will clash with. I picked purple over green because you are out in the overworld where you see green all the time.

Hmm, good point. Now when try to picture the shot with different colors, it would look a bit odd, such as the gray making it look too much like an old newfirst quest... IMO green wouldn't go that great with the dungeon if it was bright. Sure there is lava in the room, but a bright color like that could eventually get annoying.

#25 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 17 March 2004 - 07:35 PM

*sigh*
Some people are taking my comments too seriously. icon_rolleyes.gif It's just my opinion, but it's as valid as anyone else's. I happen to be "a graphics person" myself too, so that's why I'm not so easily floored. Why should I agree with everyone else? Is it so horribly wrong if I didn't vote PB's shot? Unlike some people, I dont' just take a quick look at the screenshots. Instead, I try to analyze the shot very carefully and when I review the shots, my only criteria isn't what tiles are used, but how well they are used too.
I have yet to see a perfect shot, so keep submitting, people! icon_razz.gif

And what is wrong with my posts? Do people ignore me, can't people understand English, or does my English suck so much that I'm always misunderstood. I said coderlinker's and PB's shots were both good, and because it was a tie, I just decided to give my vote to coderlinker because he tries so hard and the shot is just nice to look at. So don't worry, I have nothing against PB because he is... well, PB. After all, he makes good tilesets and we'll never have enough of good tilesets. icon_smile.gif

And Petoe when you do submit a similar screen shot like mine, let me know so we can see whose is better through votes.

I don't need PureZC members to decide who is better. I can never take SOTW results seriously because after following the poll results so many months I know the competition wouldn't be fair. I'll never submit any shots to SOTW again because people rarely have anything intelligent to say, but since I opened my very big mouth, I have to submit some of my latest work to prove that I didn't just make up the stuff about making better looking shots with "the same kind of set as PB's making". So sooner or later, you'll see... icon_wink.gif (If the damn school wouldn't keep me so busy)

#26 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 March 2004 - 08:00 PM

Some people are taking my comments too seriously.  It's just my opinion, but it's as valid as anyone else's. I happen to be "a graphics person" myself too, so that's why I'm not so easily floored. Why should I agree with everyone else? Is it so horribly wrong if I didn't vote PB's shot?

Not really. I didn't expect everyone to vote for Prince's shot (Even though he is wrecking all the others right now up to this point), I was just saying that his shot could be considered original as well.

This is if you are refering to me.

#27 HydraPheetz

HydraPheetz

pwhoar

• Members

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:56 PM

PrettyBoy, OMGWTF that is the best shot... evar. codelinker's was also good, his came second on my list.

Ccc ... Good.. and I like the tiles.

Z; PATRAS!!!! Also, nice test of the 10 Patra 3's in ZC, with that many on the screen at once...

#28 Breadguy

Breadguy

Warrior

• Members

Posted 17 March 2004 - 11:52 PM

Dang, everyone has argued back and forth since I have been gone. I haven't checked out the posts lately. But I decided to log on after screaming at my little brothers, before they go to bed. Anyway, I think PB screen is great. I'm not a real good judge at looking at screen shots. So if you ask me, I think mine and PB screens are the best so far. I mean, PB has some great tile making abilites. I really want some of his tiles actually. I was talking to him about getting some codes, so I can have some of his art work. He is awesome at making tiles, no doubt about that. But my screeny is pretty good to you know.. And I think most of the time, I have noticed that most of the people here, vote for people that have been here at Purezc, alot. That's not right. I mean that's just my opinion. Everytime I come in here to vote, I notice that a screen shot that really stinks, gets the vote. I mean, come on give some else a chance to win. Not just your friends. That's just what I have seen in the past. And the members really suck up to them. Just like when WB posts a SSOTW. (Not to be saying your screen shots are not good, cause mine are not either) But, sometimes other people have great shots, and the other screen shot doesn't looks so great, and the Purezc veteran gets the win. I know this cause many of my friends come over my house and I show them the screen shots, and there like "man, that screen shot should have won." I'm like yeah. Anway, that's my piece on this issue.

Edited by codelinker8705, 17 March 2004 - 11:55 PM.

#29 IaN

IaN

Warrior

• Members

Posted 18 March 2004 - 08:14 PM

Ccc: It could have been wokred on a bit more, but at least you tried.

PB: It's an awesome shot, but the purple floor just ruins it for me. I just don't think it goes together with the grey walls and red lava. I can't explain why, it's just something that makes me want to recolor t myself. If it was green, I think it would have looked much better.

CL: Another good shot. It may be a repeat, but the shadow REALLY adds to it.

Mr. Z: Uhmm.....no comment....icon_eyebrow.gif

*nulls vote*

#30 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 March 2004 - 09:12 PM

This topic is still open o_O?

Praethus should be closing this any time now... PB already won from the start anyways.

And even again, good job PB on a fantastic shot. icon_biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users