Can you create your own CSet?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 04 March 2023 - 03:54 AM

Or are there any other ways to pick your colors? I tried editing existing csets, I hit "Done", and then all of my changes went down by the wayside. They didn't show up at all.

I need certain colors for a lot of enemies that I'm making, as well as a few items too, if i somehow learn how the item editor works.

Also, I need tiles. Lots of them. I'm not taking the easy way out and using Cambria though.

Can any of you please tell me how to pick colors, if it's even an option?

Thanks,

boko

Edited by Bokoblin, 04 March 2023 - 03:54 AM.

#2 Naldrag

Naldrag

Certified Idiot

• Members

Posted 04 March 2023 - 04:32 AM

Are you editing DMap palettes or just the main palette?

• Taco Chopper likes this

#3 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 04 March 2023 - 12:33 PM

main palette, I'm making sprites for overworld enemies

#4 Naldrag

Naldrag

Certified Idiot

• Members

Posted 04 March 2023 - 01:53 PM

Enemies use C-Sets 7-9

• Shane likes this

#5 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 04 March 2023 - 02:42 PM

I want to make my own cset, the colors I need aren't in any of the csets
did you even read the post naldrag?
how do I do that

#6 Naldrag

Naldrag

Certified Idiot

• Members

Posted 04 March 2023 - 02:47 PM

...You edit them?  You can't MAKE your own C-Sets, that's not how Zelda Classic works.  The information I provided is how you have to do it, being dense isn't gonna get you anywhere.  Besides even if you could as I said the enemy palettes are tied to C-Sets 7-9.

Edited by Naldrag, 04 March 2023 - 03:00 PM.

• Shane likes this

#7 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 March 2023 - 03:11 PM

Also, I need tiles. Lots of them. I'm not taking the easy way out and using Cambria though.

Sounds kind of counter-intuitive given how much help you've been needing.

• Naldrag likes this

#8 Naldrag

Naldrag

Certified Idiot

• Members

Posted 04 March 2023 - 03:27 PM

Sounds kind of counter-intuitive given how much help you've been needing.

I think they're basically making an edit of 1st.qst with "more content" because someone had to tell them how to make it not be recognized by ZC as an "official quest".  Which now that I even think about it, would that be something that can even be submitted as a quest on the first place? Well, I guess if it has a substantial enough of a difference as Russ said, it'd be fine.

Edited by Naldrag, 04 March 2023 - 03:44 PM.

• Shane likes this

#9 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 04 March 2023 - 03:45 PM

If you need tiles, the loose tiles database here on the site has a wide collection, and you can search tags such as whether it's classic, gameboy, or etc. There aren't many classic spriters around, but classic's quality means that you can probably do a low effort spriting attempt and most people won't bat an eye.

I highly recommend you don't edit 1st.qst if you want to make a Z1 remake and have new tiles, as the tileset used for 1st.qst is very outdated and doesn't have a lot in it. Instead, try using this: TLoZ 2.5 Classic + Koten 1.3 - Quests | PureZC

That's a remake of the 1st and 2nd quests done in either the new 2.50 classic tileset, or the koten tileset (your choice). There may be a few inconsistencies (such as the dropset), but you'll find the organization better overall.

ZC is limited to 256 colors; you cannot "add" csets. Generally speaking, if you want global colors, you want to edit CSets 7, 8, 10, and 11; 0, 1, and 5 can also be edited but keep in mind the subscreen uses these colors so make sure you edit the subscreen accordingly. ZC has level palettes which swap out Csets 2, 3, 4, and 9 (as well as 1, 5, 7, and 8 in the newer dev builds); 9 is intended to be used for enemies who are limited in where they appear and need special colors, or enemies which change their color depending on the level. You might be able to get away with some sleight of hand with this knowledge to "fake" having more colors, but if you look at stuff like mine and FireSeraphim's Hyrule Fantasy project (a Z1 remake made in a much more pretty tileset), we managed to get some really nice looking enemies with only the colors in CSets 7 and 8, so I have faith you can do it too if you manage your colors well. 

If I were to guess why your changes were lost; were you writing over Csets 2, 3, 4, 6, or 9? Those Csets get overwritten by level palettes or, in the case of cset 6, link's palette. I hope it's something like that and not a possible new bug.

• Joelmacool and David like this

#10 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 04 March 2023 - 03:45 PM

I think they're basically making an edit of 1st.qst with "more content" because someone had to tell them how to make it not be recognized by ZC as an "official quest".  Which now that I even think about it, would that be something that can even be submitted as a quest on the first place?

jakey, buddy, don't get your panties in a bunch here

im just asking a question

its always the anime profile pics...

• Mitchfork likes this

#11 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 March 2023 - 03:47 PM

jakey, buddy, don't get your panties in a bunch here

im just asking a question

its always the anime profile pics...

They were just clarifying to me why you couldn't use Cambria since I am out of the loop on your situations. No need to get defensive. 

#12 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 04 March 2023 - 03:53 PM

Yeah no, everyone chill out. Bokoblin, you've been responding rudely to people trying to help you; this is meant to be a cordial place and should not be the site of hostility. Name calling based on profile pics is uncalled for, and snapping at people will result in less people wanting to help you. I'd also like to point out that you started the hostility here with "did you even read the post naldrag?", which was a bit rude. Naldrag, your response was a bit snippy and I'm not happy with it either, as calling people dense is uncalled for and only serves to escalate things.

Let's all take deep breaths here and calm down. 

• Naldrag, Joelmacool and David like this

#13 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 04 March 2023 - 04:01 PM

it is not a remake, for one

does a remake triple the open world? does a remake double the enemies? does a remake add new bosses? no.

do some people have no idea what they are talking about? yes.

ill put it up on quest projects after i finish the faron region so everyone can see that i'm not trying to remake 1st.qst.

i'm trying to expand upon it, think of it like a dlc.

#14 Naldrag

Naldrag

Certified Idiot

• Members

Posted 04 March 2023 - 04:16 PM

Naldrag, your response was a bit snippy and I'm not happy with it either, as calling people dense is uncalled for and only serves to escalate things.

You're right it was rude of me.  Sorry, that I got a bit carried away there.

Edited by Naldrag, 04 March 2023 - 04:16 PM.

#15 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 04 March 2023 - 04:17 PM

sorry bros

im working on a lizalfos sprite rn, how do i show it to yall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users