Photo

What did you like or dislike about Zelda 2.

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:50 PM

I'm going to start by saying first that I plan on remaking Zelda 2, have been working on the spells this weekend, and I was wonder what you guys liked or disliked about the game. And feel free to write a paragraph or two. The more information you give me the better my quest will be!

Edited by blackbishop89, 03 July 2011 - 02:55 PM.

#2 Majora

Majora

Unironic Marxist-Leninist

• Members

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:57 PM

Like: Everything

Dislike: the "OMG TOO HARD" whiners.

#3 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:01 PM

I pretty much loved everything about it too. The way to the final temple, as well as the temple itself was a bit too hard though.
But, being made in ZC, it would be easier I assume.

Edited by Lynker, 03 July 2011 - 03:01 PM.

#4 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:19 PM

Yeah them Fokkas "The bird knights" are a pain in the ass. As are the orange heads that float around. Dark Link is easy though if you know the trick to beating him. icon_smile.gif

#5 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:35 PM

Okay the only thing i did not like about zelda 2 was the stupid dark nuts
And the last dungeon
----------------------------
Great minds think a like
i had the same ideal
a zelda 2 type game for zc icon_biggrin.gif

#6 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE(linktopower @ Jul 3 2011, 02:35 PM) View Post

Okay the only thing i did not like about zelda 2 was the stupid dark nuts
And the last dungeon
----------------------------
Great minds think a like
i had the same ideal
a zelda 2 type game for zc icon_biggrin.gif

I love Iron Knuckles! But I understand. They can be difficult to defeat.

The trick to beating them is the almighty jump slash. Only problem is that if your in close corners your pretty much screwed. Like in the room before the boss of Island Palace.

#7 Dwiese1998

Dwiese1998

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:03 PM

I LOVED every moment you shouldnt change anything... well i had a bit of trouble killing off dark link but thats about it... (BTW I didnt use the left corner stabbing glitch like many other people...) icon_cool.gif icon_smile.gif icon_razz.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_slycool.gif

#8 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE(Dwiese1998 @ Jul 3 2011, 04:03 PM) View Post

I LOVED every moment you shouldnt change anything... well i had a bit of trouble killing off dark link but thats about it... (BTW I didnt use the left corner stabbing glitch like many other people...) icon_cool.gif icon_smile.gif icon_razz.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_slycool.gif

Well I'm going to change two major things. No experience system for one. It sucks, two I'll be doing it in classic z1 perspective. With NO side view areas. Well none that I want to add. I also plan to have ALL the original enemies. Including those freaking bird knights.

Edited by blackbishop89, 03 July 2011 - 05:16 PM.

#9 symbiote01

symbiote01

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:20 PM

Nice. How do you plan on dealing with the variable defenses of the Dark Knuckles (shield up/shield down)? My favorite part of AoL was the DownStab with one boss in particular, the IronKnuckle on the horse. Get him to come at you on the far left of the screen, do a down-stab, and pogo-stick your way to victory.

I think I liked the experience point concept... I always skipped the early ones to get the first couple of sword upgrades first.

I hated the jumping guys (Rat Heads) in the dungeons that stole your exp at an alarming rate, and didn't give you any if you killed them. Yeah, that was broken.

There's a chimney in the mountain town on the island, that when you go down it you end up in the middle of the ocean between the island and the mainland, and you can't go on. Glitch.
Also, go into the temples and forget to get the item, but beat the boss? Too bad, no item for you. Glitch.
For that matter, go into the first temple, get all the keys you can, then go beat the boss in the second temple easily, without having to collect anything. Oops- now you don't have enough keys to beat the first temple, so you can't win. Glitch.
One of my favorite NES games, but it had some big glitches.

#10 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE(symbiote01 @ Jul 3 2011, 05:20 PM) View Post

Nice. How do you plan on dealing with the variable defenses of the Dark Knuckles (shield up/shield down)? My favorite part of AoL was the DownStab with one boss in particular, the IronKnuckle on the horse. Get him to come at you on the far left of the screen, do a down-stab, and pogo-stick your way to victory.

I think I liked the experience point concept... I always skipped the early ones to get the first couple of sword upgrades first.

I hated the jumping guys (Rat Heads) in the dungeons that stole your exp at an alarming rate, and didn't give you any if you killed them. Yeah, that was broken.

There's a chimney in the mountain town on the island, that when you go down it you end up in the middle of the ocean between the island and the mainland, and you can't go on. Glitch.
Also, go into the temples and forget to get the item, but beat the boss? Too bad, no item for you. Glitch.
For that matter, go into the first temple, get all the keys you can, then go beat the boss in the second temple easily, without having to collect anything. Oops- now you don't have enough keys to beat the first temple, so you can't win. Glitch.
One of my favorite NES games, but it had some big glitches.

Variable defenses won't be included but you can break shields with the hammer. But I might remove that to make it more interesting.

Yeah the rat heads "Tinsuits" are pains in the ass. So are moas "Those eye enemies from the graveyards" I hate those things. I might incorporate the downward and upward stab. I'll have to rework the jump spell though.

As for all those glitches. I plan to try to keep it bug free. So that's nothing to worry about. icon_wink.gif

Edited by blackbishop89, 03 July 2011 - 07:34 PM.

#11 randy

randy

Senior

• Members

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:08 AM

The biggest thing I disliked was navigating some of the larger palaces. Too much of a pain without any form of map system, especially considering how much all the rooms looked a like after awhile. Also the sword beams and some of the spells seemed useless at times.

I loved the exp system (which btw I remember see a script somewhere that you could use), I could focus on upgrading whatever stat on wanted and often meant I could have a more powerful sword before I normally would if I had to wait to pick up a new weapon. Also the combat system was more in depth then the first game and alttp. You could use the stomp boots to act like the downward thrust. Also I loved the large epic overworld. To this day its still the largest overworld used in a zelda game.

#12 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE(randy @ Jul 4 2011, 08:08 AM) View Post

The biggest thing I disliked was navigating some of the larger palaces. Too much of a pain without any form of map system, especially considering how much all the rooms looked a like after awhile. Also the sword beams and some of the spells seemed useless at times.

I loved the exp system (which btw I remember see a script somewhere that you could use), I could focus on upgrading whatever stat on wanted and often meant I could have a more powerful sword before I normally would if I had to wait to pick up a new weapon. Also the combat system was more in depth then the first game and alttp. You could use the stomp boots to act like the downward thrust. Also I loved the large epic overworld. To this day its still the largest overworld used in a zelda game.

Actually I disagree about both those. I love the dungeon design of Zelda 2, and the spells are actually very useful with the exception of Spell and Thunder... Which of course have only one use in the entire game.

#13 randy

randy

Senior

• Members

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:49 AM

I don't dislike the dungeon design, only the lack of a map system to help navigate through the dungeons (like other zelda games). I felt the only useful spells where Jump (and later fairy) and life. The others I never felt the need to use outside of their required uses.

#14 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:20 PM

I mostly disliked the side-scrolling. A lot of people feel it's what made the game interesting, but it was just aggravating. I would, however, like to see the level up system again. That was spiffy.

Good luck!

#15 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:41 PM

@randy
You forgot to mention Thunder, instant moa slayer.

@Rem
Your like the fifth person to say they like the level up system. It might be possible to incorporate such a system but it would be a pain in the ass.

Edited by blackbishop89, 04 July 2011 - 02:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users