Photo

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

• Please log in to reply
1333 replies to this topic

#1321 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:27 AM

I guess results will vary, because I didn't think he was that hard the third time, nowhere near the "hardest bosses" list for me. Very fun boss, but not necessarily hard for me. icon_shrug.gif

#1322 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:08 AM

Yeah Girahim fights were all piss easy, even the last one with him was easy.

#1323 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Jan 17 2012, 02:04 AM) View Post

So... don't let moblins hit you? Are they the ones with metal shields? You're supposed to dash up and over them, then hit them in the back. Once I figured that out (ironically Fi told me), they turned out to be pretty easy. At least they take fewer hits once you upgrade to the Master Sword. icon_razz.gif

Well when I said "get hit" I meant anything that causes you to fall off the platform. That includes jumping back too much or letting the enemy advance to the point where his spear reaches the end of the platform which is exactly what happened to me because I for whatever reason wasn't able to get my wiimote to do a horizontal slash and cut through his wooden shield. Also I stand by my previous statement that the tears in the Silent Realms shouldn't stop the guardians approaching. They were all piss easy.

#1324 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE(Russ @ Jan 13 2012, 05:38 PM) View Post
So then where do Wind and Earth come in? Wind seems to be tied in with the forest a lot (Wind Temple and Skyview Temple both have heavy forest themes going on in them too), and Earth appears to maybe have some shadowy connections. Not to mention, they both seem to be tied into the Master Sword, given that those two elements (or sages) are needed to power the Master Sword in WW, and Zelda needs to bathe and the Skyview (wind) and Earth Springs to restore the Master Sword in SS. And then "Unite earth and sky"... connection?

The "real" answer, I think, is that OoT probably had its Earth and Wind temples cut from the game during beta. I think it's worth noting that Wind Waker had both an Earth Temple AND a Wind Temple, and they were paired together during a specific leg of the game (reawakening the Master Sword). In my mind, they were probably making up for the lack of Earth and Wind in OoT, just as TP made up for the lack of a light temple in OoT. Perhaps those two temples were loosely based on their old plans for an OoT Earth Temple and Wind Temple.

But still, OoT was released, and the medallions were set as forest-fire-water-shadow-spirit-light (even though light didn't have a temple), without ever saying that Earth and Wind were missing from that group of six. Also, those medallions have shown up in later games: TP and SS, at least, and I'm not sure about WW (though the Goddess emblems on WW's pearls were brought back in SS). I suppose wind was represented by forest, and earth was represented by fire. Not ideal, but still related.

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Jan 13 2012, 05:58 PM) View Post
Oh I agree entirely, and I know exactly what you're talking about, being a Soulcalibur player as well. Guard Impact is lovely, and shield-bashing Demise's strikes is kinda fun, since there's a little sound that accompanies it that adds to the atmosphere. I like manipulating music in Zelda fights. icon_heh.gif

Yes, indeed. icon_biggrin.gif I love that back-and-forth. It is quite satisfying. And yes, SS did a good job subtly invoking the sword strike orchestra hits from Wind Waker without making them TOO obtrusive.

Now that I know HOW to do it, I will have to work towards going on the offensive against Demise with long strings of shield bashes and sword attacks.

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Jan 13 2012, 05:58 PM) View Post
That's exactly why I started reading them that way. icon_blah.gif
Well then... all is as it should be!

QUOTE(franpa @ Jan 14 2012, 02:22 PM) View Post
It's only skillful if you beat him without the Hylian Shield, otherwise there's no repercussions for failing to time well.

If you're late, or attack when you should block, there certainly is a repercussion... a Dark Master Sword to the face. Also, even a regular shield block (rather than a shield bash) results in Link staggering for a moment and dropping his shield guard. Plus it throws off your rhythm, and rhythm is very important in the parry/counterattack game.

QUOTE(Yoshimi @ Jan 15 2012, 12:22 PM) View Post
If the harp was used like the Ocarina (for example the exzessive use of Zelda's Lullaby or the Song of Time) then this would probably have been a nice concept. But you used every harp song only like, one time? I believe to recall playing the Ballad of the Godess twice-ish but I'm not sure even. Things don't have to be that complicated all the time. It would probably just have been distracting if it was too complex.

Oh, of course. The entire idea of creating a new music system is to USE it more often. And since you didn't have to choose which song to play (you just start strumming), the songs that you learn aren't terribly important in SS; they're mostly just a way of opening the path to the next dungeon.

Oh, I did adapt to using my left hand just well. In fact, I like the Wii-idea of having essentially two controlers that work together as one. My problem with the shield is that raising the nunchuk reacts very unreliably for me. In two out of three times it would have no effect for me. It gets tricky with the timing on the later enemies if you essentially have to wave you left hand up and down three times to perfom one block.

Have you tried shaking the nunchuk rather than just raising it? I don't have trouble performing a block that way, but if I don't watch myself, Link will attempt to deflect twice. It's not extremely dangerous, but it's awkward and can throw me off while I'm rethinking my next move.

Left hand? Are you left-handed? Did you switch Wii remote to your left hand?...

I never was a big shield-user in any of the Zelda games, though. I use items like the Mirror Shield if I have to in order to solve an important puzzle but that's about it. Backflipping or the Roc's Feather is all I need and it just comes so much more natural for me. icon_shrug.gif It's Jumpstyle Zelda!!111 icon_deformed.gif

I can understand not feeling too attached to the shield, as so many Japanese games have sword users without shields (it's more traditional in Japanese one-on-one combat). But since Zelda is one of the few Japanese games where shield use CAN be a big thing, I tend to want to use it whenever it seems useful. icon_smile.gif

#1325 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:19 AM

I have the motion control thingy in my right hand and the nunchuk in my left hand. I am right handed. That's correct, isn't it?

#1326 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE(Yoshimi @ Jan 17 2012, 11:19 AM) View Post

I have the motion control thingy in my right hand and the nunchuk in my left hand. I am right handed. That's correct, isn't it?

Yep! Are you having problems?

#1327 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:59 PM

No, Radien asks wether I'm lefthanded for some reason.

#1328 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

Oh yeah, speaking of tactics to use on Demise, here's a video of a guy beating him in 28 seconds: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Jv2LpojCNcI

#1329 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE(Yoshimi @ Jan 17 2012, 03:59 PM) View Post

No, Radien asks wether I'm lefthanded for some reason.
Oh! My bad. I didn't read the last few posts.
QUOTE(The Satellite @ Jan 17 2012, 04:28 PM) View Post

Oh yeah, speaking of tactics to use on Demise, here's a video of a guy beating him in 28 seconds: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Jv2LpojCNcI

That was incredibly impressive. I wonder how many takes that required. icon_razz.gif

#1330 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:45 PM

Also, I'm guessing your thinking it's going to be the usual Forest-Fire-Water thing. Taking it you'll be in for a shock when you'll reach the third dungeon. icon_razz.gif

wasnt shocked sorry

#1331 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:59 PM

i was :gonk:

#1332 Professor Bedwetter

Professor Bedwetter

Strangers when we meet

• Members

Posted 03 December 2022 - 12:10 AM

shocks ya

#1333 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 19 December 2022 - 09:54 PM

I'm replaying this on dolphin and idk it's alright. There's still some problems with the structure, but the world is pretty, and the dungeons are decent. Also it's nice not using motion controls and yes I know the HD version has buttons too but who cares.

• Shane, Eddy and Jared like this

#1334 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 21 December 2022 - 12:06 AM

My last post in this thread was almost eleven years ago.

Anyway I don't remember when I last played this but I plan to play it again sometime next year, pick up the HD version and give that a whirl. Every time I watched someone stream that, the 60fps really threw me for a loop. Every time. Anyway there was a point in those eleven years I turned against Skyward Sword, and we'll see if the HD version alleviates anything? But a lot of my issues were with, as Anthus said, the structure. The dungeons are amazing, the graphics are nice, the music is great, story and characters are decent, everything else is mediocre to bad. The sky sucks, the "overworld" is tedious because it pretends to be dungeons between the dungeons... I never even disliked the motion controls. Except when drawing. Or swimming.

My succinct opinion on Skyward Sword boils down to "I love the dungeons, I hate getting to them."

Time to make my supercut of Skyward Sword that's just the dungeons.

• Anthus, Shane and Eddy like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users