2.55 Confirmed, Also Leveling

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 01 February 2020 - 01:27 PM

So the latest version is up. I'm gonna start calling these Alphas now, as I've passed 70% of planned areas completed. In addition, some features have seen further development toward being finalized.

But first off, development is now confirmed to be moved over to 2.55. Even though I've barely touched the mass of new features, the ones I've been using have made the newest content far more interesting than it could have been. Let's just say you'll want to use that double damage Lightning weakness in some areas.

At the moment, the quest was made in 2.55 Alpha 47, but also tested in Alpha 48. Should you use a later version, be sure to mention it if anything strange comes up.

So the EXP Challenge is still going, as there have been no screenshots of Max Level times posted. That said, the Leveling system is a bit more finalized now. Level cap is 45, with more levels in every stat. There are no Life, Magic, or Armor increases to find, as you get all of those from leveling. I've removed the duplicate "8th Weapon Skill" from leveling Skill, and instead added some other small bonuses to obtain. You can get a rate of fire increase for all weapons, critical hits for all weapons (weapons with crits built in are basically rolling for two damage bonuses), and a Class Bonus based on the character's Weapon of Choice - Melee, Ranged, or Magical. These give a small bonus related to what the class makes use of.

Spoiler

Anyway, this means the new challenge is to reach Level 45 as quickly as possible and post a screenshot of your in-quest time. There are still options to try other rates of Exp Curves, though the default is probably gonna be the one refined into the final version.

There are now 200 different weapons to find. With the new areas, you can check 300 item locations (312 if Item Rando is on).

Bosses are starting to get some refinement. Just like the player character, they too fall into Melee, Ranged, and Magical. This adjusts their HP, Damage, and Rate of Fire, and fully scale based on their Level. Boss Levels are increased by difficulty. They also have different attacks based on their type, with plans to add more attacks later on. This does mean their current difficulty will change as new attacks get added, and I have plans for the second boss set to use a larger attack library.

Going forward, I'm gonna be starting on Late Game Underworld areas with higher leveled bosses and an exit intended to connect to Late Game Overworlds. These will have a different flow than the current Late Game Underworld areas as a result. I have a few more Mid Game Overworlds left to add, then the Late Game Overworlds will be created. These Overworlds are where I plan to put a couple of important Passive Abilities that are currently in placeholder locations after the later bosses. And of course, connections to the final area.

I'm still full of ideas for more Weapons, but suggestions for some are always welcome. At some point I'll need to come up with another several hundred item locations for all of them to reach maximum level, but... I'll get to that at some point.

#2 Lordkronos

Lordkronos

Hero of Dark World

• Members

Posted 01 February 2020 - 02:11 PM

So the latest version is up. I'm gonna start calling these Alphas now, as I've passed 70% of planned areas completed. In addition, some features have seen further development toward being finalized.

But first off, development is now confirmed to be moved over to 2.55. Even though I've barely touched the mass of new features, the ones I've been using have made the newest content far more interesting than it could have been. Let's just say you'll want to use that double damage Lightning weakness in some areas.

At the moment, the quest was made in 2.55 Alpha 47, but also tested in Alpha 48. Should you use a later version, be sure to mention it if anything strange comes up.

So the EXP Challenge is still going, as there have been no screenshots of Max Level times posted. That said, the Leveling system is a bit more finalized now. Level cap is 45, with more levels in every stat. There are no Life, Magic, or Armor increases to find, as you get all of those from leveling. I've removed the duplicate "8th Weapon Skill" from leveling Skill, and instead added some other small bonuses to obtain. You can get a rate of fire increase for all weapons, critical hits for all weapons (weapons with crits built in are basically rolling for two damage bonuses), and a Class Bonus based on the character's Weapon of Choice - Melee, Ranged, or Magical. These give a small bonus related to what the class makes use of.

Spoiler

Anyway, this means the new challenge is to reach Level 45 as quickly as possible and post a screenshot of your in-quest time. There are still options to try other rates of Exp Curves, though the default is probably gonna be the one refined into the final version.

There are now 200 different weapons to find. With the new areas, you can check 300 item locations (312 if Item Rando is on).

Bosses are starting to get some refinement. Just like the player character, they too fall into Melee, Ranged, and Magical. This adjusts their HP, Damage, and Rate of Fire, and fully scale based on their Level. Boss Levels are increased by difficulty. They also have different attacks based on their type, with plans to add more attacks later on. This does mean their current difficulty will change as new attacks get added, and I have plans for the second boss set to use a larger attack library.

Going forward, I'm gonna be starting on Late Game Underworld areas with higher leveled bosses and an exit intended to connect to Late Game Overworlds. These will have a different flow than the current Late Game Underworld areas as a result. I have a few more Mid Game Overworlds left to add, then the Late Game Overworlds will be created. These Overworlds are where I plan to put a couple of important Passive Abilities that are currently in placeholder locations after the later bosses. And of course, connections to the final area.

I'm still full of ideas for more Weapons, but suggestions for some are always welcome. At some point I'll need to come up with another several hundred item locations for all of them to reach maximum level, but... I'll get to that at some point.

You Mentioned a Higher Version of Zelda Classic so need i a New Version Now or Works 2.53 still and i have made the challange i have sendet videos but i can make a screenshot quick :D

zc-screen00166.png

#3 Eppy

Eppy

Alisa~

• Members

Posted 02 February 2020 - 06:03 PM

I got sick twice and forgot to finish my last run. Need to pick another one up.

#4 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:38 PM

So to clarify, all versions past End of Year Demo will be made in Zelda Classic 2.55. As of right now, there is an Alpha 48 and some early 49, but Alpha 47 is the most recent listed download under ZC Development, and what the quest was made in. I can confirm it works in Alpha 48, and will keep watching for newer updates that play it fine. Of course, you are free to use any later version of 2.55, just note which version it is when posting bugs, in case it is something on ZC's end.

Thanks for the screenshot, that can be the point of reference of Level 45 from the previous leveling system. I think the new exp costs are slightly lower overall, now that they are built around leveling each start more than 7 times.

Also worth noting, while I removed the 8th Weapon Skill, Level 3 Weapons of Choice get +1 Damage. This stacks with the +1 Damage to no-cost Weapons of Choice, and is displayed on the Weapon Select. Obviously, a Level 3 weapon is only possible in the Item Rando right now.

• Lordkronos likes this

#5 Lordkronos

Lordkronos

Hero of Dark World

• Members

Posted 03 February 2020 - 10:29 PM

So to clarify, all versions past End of Year Demo will be made in Zelda Classic 2.55. As of right now, there is an Alpha 48 and some early 49, but Alpha 47 is the most recent listed download under ZC Development, and what the quest was made in. I can confirm it works in Alpha 48, and will keep watching for newer updates that play it fine. Of course, you are free to use any later version of 2.55, just note which version it is when posting bugs, in case it is something on ZC's end.

Thanks for the screenshot, that can be the point of reference of Level 45 from the previous leveling system. I think the new exp costs are slightly lower overall, now that they are built around leveling each start more than 7 times.

Also worth noting, while I removed the 8th Weapon Skill, Level 3 Weapons of Choice get +1 Damage. This stacks with the +1 Damage to no-cost Weapons of Choice, and is displayed on the Weapon Select. Obviously, a Level 3 weapon is only possible in the Item Rando right now.

The screen is made in the End of the year Demo with randomizer and void made Played 2.53 if that is important :D

#6 cbailey78

cbailey78

Initiate

• Members

Posted 12 February 2020 - 05:19 PM

Is alpha 48 available for download or is it a future alpha that hasn't released yet? thank you.

#7 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 12 February 2020 - 06:19 PM

Is alpha 48 available for download or is it a future alpha that hasn't released yet? thank you.

We're actually on Alpha 50 for ZC 2.55 right now! You can download it here. I'm aware the link says Alpha 47, but it's actually for Alpha 50. I'm not sure why the text wasn't updated there to reflect that change, but people know it's Alpha 50 since the developers made an announcement through it on the Discord servers. Sorry for the confusion there.

#8 cbailey78

cbailey78

Initiate

• Members

Posted 18 February 2020 - 12:08 PM

I just got Alpha 51 from openzc.org. :)  I find that site to be such a blessing as it is dedicated to the older audience.  I love the 80's theme to that site and I hope openzc.org takes off soon.  Armageddongames.net is going on a decline as I hardly see any activity nowadays.  It's getting to the point I can smell the mustiness.  The walls are starting to show cracks, dust is accumulating.

#9 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 18 February 2020 - 04:17 PM

So I can confirm it plays fine in Alpha 51. 49 or 50 had issues with combo cycling, which meant some timing things would become unavoidable, but nothing that would be unwinnable.

As I've been testing the 6th quest entries this month, progress has been a bit slower. That said...

lsdgUrO.png

This new subscreen is a thing now. Still playing with the button icons and weapon level counters, but it's otherwise functional.

Also, all the text uses a different font now. A font that is new to 2.55.

So like usual, I'm still adding new areas. Getting close to the end, but still a fair number to go.

But I've got a few more thoughts on short-term changes.

First off, expanding Hidden Haven a little bit. Not much, as being small is the point, but adding an item behind bushes and another behind Burnable Vines. Just to have each of the early weapon properties unlock something nice there.

A bit bigger is maybe adding more weapon properties for blockades and puzzles.

Pot Breaking - Already exists, just not used for anything important. Mostly broken by "heavy" weapons, like the Mace or Ball and Chain.

Energy - So this is still a little unclear, but basically anything that is Sword Beam damage in 2.55 is treated as this type. Sword Beams reflect off of mirrors, just like magic. And Sword Beam flags are already in ZC, so really easy to add them. I don't think Reflected Sword Beam is a flag though, so only Magic would have proper Mirror puzzles. Still, I can see having some sort of energy crystals to hit with this damage type to trigger secrets.

Water - Was unsure about this one at first. Then got some fun ideas. First, I'd need to add a new scripted torch type, and apply that to every torch in the quest. This would allow torches to be lit by fire, and put out by water (with a default lit / unlit state). I already have "light all the torches" as a puzzle, having an unlit version is really easy. Second, I can have some combos that are on fire you put out with water. Hot coal, fire vents, you get the point.

Wind - At simplest, some sort of fans you hit to trigger secrets. Functionally, just a different Arrow trigger. I could also have leaf piles that get blown away, through solid ones would need some good tiles for them. And before you suggest it, no, Sand Piles (Skyward Sword style) would be confusing when digging weapons also exist.

Lightning - So, having something react to electricity makes sense. What doesn't make sense is how the various lightning weapons shoot out. Very few shoot out in a straight line, many don't move at all. So, they would only work as a variation of a switch you walk up to and hit. Speaking of which...

Switches - So in other quests, having levers with a Boomerang / Any Weapon flag is pretty common practice. Here, the weapons are all scripted and a lot more varied, but also not covering some normal types due to being too limited with scripts. So if I want a switch you walk up to and hit with, say, a Sword, or one you hit from a distance with a Boomerang, I'd need to script the collision to determine which weapons actually trigger it. So, unlikely, but still a consideration.

Hookshot - So... I have plans to make a scripted "hookshot". Like a few other weapon types, creating a Hookshot weapon via script AND trying to control it have some pretty big limitations. But I have some ideas how to make it work, and if I get the basic one working, then pits you cross with them will appear (as well as all the fun variations I've made before).

So... thoughts? The obvious advantage to more item requirements is having more cases where you don't need some properties to get through an area. For example, I'd probably swap a Magic crystal for an Energy Crystal in Lightning Labratory, thus meaning you can clear that area without Magic. It isn't too difficult to swap out existing blockades with these newer ones, but I also need to figure out which weapons can apply to each property (based not only on their damage type, but also their aim). I'd also need to decide when each property becomes important for progression... those who paid attention may notice how Wand Magic is just for extra items until the Mid-Game Overworlds. Same with Long Range fire weapons or diagonally aimed arrows / slingshots. I can see Pot Breaking, Energy, and Water fairly early, with Wind and Lightning later. Hookshots would likely be as late as Big Bombs / Somaria puzzles. And switches... need to see if they get in first.

I don't see adding any more passive key items. I also know where the existing ones will end up.

Spoiler

#10 Dockside2012

Dockside2012

• Members

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:55 PM

Hmmmm! Nice looking subscreen you got there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users