Zelda Classic 0.64?

#ZC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AnthonyMaida

AnthonyMaida

• Members

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:20 PM

I thought there was only 1.0 and up. Does anyone have Zelda Classic 0.64 so I can download it and play it? I mean, can anyone actually send me a link to download it, or post some images so I can view it?

• Anthus likes this

#2 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:03 PM

I'm curious to how you heard about it, cause I haven't heard of it either. As far as I know, 1.00 was the first public release, which only had a playable Z1 clone, and no editor. If an earlier version exists out there, it would be cool to see. But, I feel it may be lost, if it was never uploaded or saved by someone. :(

Here's the current official ZC Download page for old versions. There is no mention of it here.

I even looked back at the main site from 2001, and the Download section only has 1.92b183, which was the first version with an editor, iirc (Correction: 1.90 was the first version with an editor. My bad >.>). Even in 2004, 1.92b183 was still the oldest available. 1.00 wasn't added till December 2016, with the addition of the Download Archive. 

Sorry my post reads like a buzzfeed article, but I love any chance to use the wayback machine internet archive to look at old versions of sites I love. There's a History page on the site in 2001 that I don't think is on the main site anymore, but it's cool to look back.

August 1999
Major progress. Changed the name to Zelda Classic to avoid confusion with the Color Gameboy Zelda game.

This is particularly interesting. 

• Yapollo likes this

#3 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:16 PM

Would be interesting to have little nuggets of ZC's history given how long it's been since ZC has been a thing tbh.

Also Anthus, to correct you, 1.90 had an editor, except even then, I believe even that wasn't the first version with an editor. 1.92 did however iirc introduce animated tiles as well as Din's Fire, Farore's Wind, and Nayru's Love (Though iirc Nayru's love didn't do anything).

• Anthus likes this

#4 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:33 PM

The URL's changed, but there's still a history page: https://www.zeldacla...opment-history/

I don't know when ZQuest was first published, but I can tell you I started using it in 1.84. I would guess it was available from the start, but apparently 0.96 was the first version that could load custom quests.
  • Anthus likes this

#5 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:51 AM

This was posted by Yapollo on discord, and it is a nice nugget of ZC history, but sadly, no download. :(

I love it though; "The game that would become Zelda Classic."

Guys. No, guys, you can hit F12 to take a screenshot. :o

edit: Saffith, that history page you linked picks up right after the old one ended :P

#6 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:12 AM

1.84 was the first stable, and public build to ship with ZQuest. Prior to this, ZQuest was only shared with two or three people.

I have a reasonably comprehensive history on ZC development here, covering 0.xx through 2.11b.

There was an editor as early as 1.60, but I don't think that it was readily available. James might remember, if 't'was.
  • Anthus likes this

#7 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:00 PM

Interesting. I didn't know ZC used 8x8 tiles like the NES back in the day.

I also did not know that ZC was called "Zelda DX" in the beginning. I guess LA:DX would have just come out, so I can see why it was changed.

#8 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:05 AM

Interesting. I didn't know ZC used 8x8 tiles like the NES back in the day.

I also did not know that ZC was called "Zelda DX" in the beginning. I guess LA:DX would have just come out, so I can see why it was changed.

It's still called 'Zelda DX' in a few places. Look at ag.cfg.
  • Anthus likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #ZC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users