Photo

Screenshot of the Week 478

Shoelace Moosh Franky Mudkipz Demonlink

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 478 (65 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:51 PM

tough choice between the first two. I have issues with every single one of these shots, but it was still a good week. I'll get to the root of the issue and then leave: I voted for Moosh's screenshot; it gives me wood.

#17 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:05 PM

I voted for Shoelace not because of the bandwagon effect, but the fact that he used a very unique engine that we hardly ever see and that he utilizes it very well. Chapters of Enova looks very promising from what I have seen.

Seriously, that's just plain rude calling out someone thinking that they are getting votes based on the popularity of the user rather than the screen itself.  :shrug:

But what if they are.

Well, I think what Jared was more trying to refer to was the majority of the votes. As I've said before, I love all of the screenshots this week, however, a single user getting 10 votes in an hour, while the others had 0s and 2s just leaves other users to be suspicious of this. With someone with as good as Shoelace's reputation for making downright amazing screens and quests, it's likely he's going to get some insta votes here and there. Hell, on IRC, I had seen someone actually admit to doing so. (Leaving the name anonymous for the sake of publicity.)

Is it rude to say EVERY vote is just a popularity vote towards Shoelace? Totally, however, saying a few of them aren't just isn't plain true, as, like I've said, somebody had actually admitted to doing so.

No, it's not morally right to do so, but there's some things that are fairly obviously true, in my humble opinion.

For those who are going to preemptively reply to this, lemme just say that, while I'm expecting backlash, due to the nature of this post, please note that I'm not trying to insult Shoelace or anyone else.

• Shane, Eddy, Moosh and 3 others like this

#18 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:35 PM

I noticed a couple people said the walls in my screenshot were confusing. Could you guys elaborate a bit? Is it a perspective problem, a palette problem, just a general lack of context that wouldn't be a problem in a quest setting? I'd like some more in-depth feedback on this so I can maybe improve it.

#19 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:38 PM

I noticed a couple people said the walls in my screenshot were confusing. Could you guys elaborate a bit? Is it a perspective problem, a palette problem, just a general lack of context that wouldn't be a problem in a quest setting? I'd like some more in-depth feedback on this so I can maybe improve it.

Are those supposed to be roots? Or is it something similar to Jabu Jabu's belly?

#20 ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer

What's up my playas

• Members

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:12 PM

Shoelace is the one I voted for this week.

#21 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:30 PM

my issue with them, Moosh, is the repetition at the "top."  it looks like a varied mosaic from the floor up... until the "ceiling," where the seems between tiles give away the fact that they are square tiles.  the tangle on the walls works, but the edges of the repeating tile don't mesh with each other.

• Jared likes this

#22 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:43 AM

I voted for Shoelace not because of the bandwagon effect, but the fact that he used a very unique engine that we hardly ever see and that he utilizes it very well. Chapters of Enova looks very promising from what I have seen.

Seriously, that's just plain rude calling out someone thinking that they are getting votes based on the popularity of the user rather than the screen itself. :shrug:

Uh, forgive me if I am reading this the wrong way, but you do realize you acknowledged there's a bandwagon effect yourself, right? :P

Bandwagon effect or not, I do believe Shoelace got all the votes because it is a genuinely good looking screen. The tileset and environment makes it a refreshing screen, and it's pleasing to look at, and possesses a lot of features that you don't usually see in a typical entry (a cloud mobile for example), adding the surprise value that really can help snag them votes. However, I must echo what Nexas said; there was a single person who admitted into insta voting, so I don't really honestly think Jared randomly decided to just assume something was up. What this person humbly said would of caused anyone to become a bit paranoid, is all. But otherwise, of course not every single vote could possibly be for the sake of popularity. I do believe that people just did like Shoelace's screen the most this week and that's that, so don't get the wrong idea, please. :(

...I guess while I'm at it, I should write up some feedback, yes?

Moosh: I'm honestly quite scared. Well, not really, not exactly. I'm just kinda worried about what you're thinking in that little insane head of yours sometimes. :P I like the tiles here. The roof is a bit noisy and it makes the perspective of the walls just a little hard to define. The tiles here seem to flow, minus the LttP tiles. I do understand that you don't mind this, and I don't mind your decision at all, but since this is Screenshot of the Week, I've to take this into account. I think the GB switch and raised barriers would have sufficed a lot better: lesser detail, and less outlines. It might fit a lot better. But overall? Nice stuff, looking forward to whatever this is going to be a part of. :)

8/10

Franky: This looks interesting! To say the least, it certainly is well designed and flows perfectly. The colours are quite appealing too, but it makes me wonder if this is a forest or night time scene? You've confused me on this one, since I tried trying to look around for clues. But none of them hint the slightest of what this screen is trying to be. There's curiosity, and then there's confusion. Curiosity makes you eager to know more, while confusion leaves this dull bland taste in your mouth, and nothing more or less. You cannot portray a screen correctly if you leave such confusion within the viewer. But otherwise, like I said, it's an amazing -- but confusing -- screen! ;)

7.5/10

(BTW: the mountain on the top left has some height issues! Might wanna fix that. :P)

Mudkipz: Very nice screen you got there. I really do enjoy mountain scenery, so this is a welcomed entry for sure. However, something that confuses me somewhat, is that you said this is in the Dark World, but to me, it looks like a typical snowing mountain in the middle of the night; it looks nothing like a Dark World. There's nothing really abnormal about it, is what I'm trying to say. :P The snow doesn't really look like snow, and that brings me to the real downside to the whole screen: the palette. It's not only misleading, but the blues are too sharp and are too distracting. Perhaps muting them down a bit will help improve the palette a lot, and perhaps give the green grass more of a white tone? Good screen otherwise, my second most favorite out of the bunch: the atmosphere was what sold me. :)

9/10

Demonlink: First of all, I must mention yet again, you nailed the palette choice. These palettes as of late makes Dance of Remembrance much more exciting to look at. The design is spot on too, and I love how you're foreshadowing your forest map's presence with shadows... :P ...Annnyway, I don't have much to say, honestly. It's a nice shot with no real flaws that I can pinpoint. You've got my vote. Though, this is just a preference, but I'm starting to think the clash between giant "realistic" trees mixed with the small "fantasy" trees are kinda bothersome. But it's no biggie. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your project to say the least. :D

10/10 -- VOTED!

Shoelace: Very interesting. I like what's going on with the screen, albeit it is rather confusing to look at in all honesty. Like Nexas said with the clouds, I think it makes the backdrop lack depth, because the clouds below the island seem to be on the same level of height with the cloud that overlaps that southern mountain. Perhaps have different cloud size variants to nail the sense of depth a little more? I feel like the surface below is a little too cartoony, and clashes with the rest of the screen which portrays a more realistic look. I remember there being backdrop tiles inside DoR 2.0 that might fit a little more better. Maybe use those? Otherwise, it's a neat screen. The cloudmobile is certainly interesting (but it looks like the cloud is dirty! :(). Good stuff!

8.5/10

(Forgive me if I made any spelling/grammar errors. I am a little sleepy right now, and I realized how much I'm rambling right now. Ouch...)

Edited by Shane, 21 October 2014 - 02:52 AM.

• Eddy, Jared and Demonlink like this

#23 HavoX

HavoX

Has more posts in Doomworld than in PureZC

• Members

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:26 AM

I originally voted for Demonlink, but then I took a better look at Shoelace's SS. That's when I withdrew my vote (My sincerest apologies to Demonlink) and voted for Shoelace instead. It must've had something to do with

A) taking place on a floating island
or
B) a bomb.

Edited by HavoX, 21 October 2014 - 08:48 AM.

#24 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:49 AM

Is it rude to say EVERY vote is just a popularity vote towards Shoelace? Totally, however, saying a few of them aren't just isn't plain true, as, like I've said, somebody had actually admitted to doing so.

I already discussed this in chat. Whether they admitted or not, it is STILL not okay to call out those users saying that this user does not deserve to win or give users the idea that you are saying that this user does not deserve to win. In a future SotW, assume that you were well-known to the PZC community and you submitted a shot that you worked really hard on and feel proud of. Imagine if you were in a scenario where you were winning by a landslide. Would you like it if someone did something similar to whatever Jared pulled to you? And not just yours but ANY other shot that received significantly more votes than their competition? And it is not limited towards user popularity. It can be for any other reason as well. It's completely subjective where everybody has their own standards determining who to vote for. The whole point is that it is extremely rude to say in front of the entire community that a user does not deserve to win for whatever abstract reasons you perceive.

Uh, forgive me if I am reading this the wrong way, but you do realize you acknowledged there's a bandwagon effect yourself, right? :P

Not at all. I said my vote was based on my own thoughts with no influence by whatever other people said.

Edited by Dawnlight, 21 October 2014 - 10:54 AM.

• Avaro and HavoX like this

#25 Mudkipz

Mudkipz

Lurking Khajiit

• Members

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:45 AM

Nulled as I am already participating. Don't really know who I would have voted for though as all of them (apart from my screenshot) are incredibly good.

When people were saying that the snow looked green in my screenshot, I thought you were meaning the grass. Looking at it again though, I see what you all are meaning now.

As for changing the pallete, I am not too confident with doing that yet, so I was using one of the Winter palletes from Oracle of Seasons.

Also, just remembered it was Lorule that had the darker colours on Death Mountain, not the Dark World :doh: .

Also quick question not related to Zelda, do waterfalls freeze up in cold temperatures? The only reference I really have to go on is Skyrim, where they didn't.

Edited by Mudkipz, 21 October 2014 - 11:45 AM.

• Shane likes this

#26 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:47 AM

Okay, Dawnlight.

Jared's post may have been rude, and he possibly may have needed to word his post more carefully, but he has a right to share his opinion just like you. I'm not saying that your opinion is incorrect just like I'm not saying Jared's opinion is wrong, but you could have just stopped talking about the subject and move on so that others can share their opinions on the screens (which is the point of this topic) and not discuss a rather trivial matter such as this one. Can we move on or talk about this somewhere else? I'd much rather discuss the screenshots in this week's contest.
  • Dawnlight, The Satellite, Shane and 1 other like this

#27 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:50 AM

Also quick question not related to Zelda, do waterfalls freeze up in cold temperatures? The only reference I really have to go on is Skyrim, where they didn't.

Since it's coming out of a cave, I don't think it would freeze... yet, at least. But then again, I live in a place where snow and ice are like mythical things to me, so I personally wouldn't know for sure. :P

Edited by Shane, 21 October 2014 - 11:51 AM.

#28 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:50 AM

I'm pretty sure they don't unless it is insanely cold.
  • Shane likes this

#29 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:54 AM

Okay, Dawnlight.

Jared's post may have been rude, and he possibly may have needed to word his post more carefully, but he has a right to share his opinion just like you. I'm not saying that your opinion is incorrect just like I'm not saying Jared's opinion is wrong, but you could have just stopped talking about the subject and move on so that others can share their opinions on the screens (which is the point of this topic) and not discuss a rather trivial matter such as this one. Can we move on or talk about this somewhere else? I'd much rather discuss the screenshots in this week's contest.

You got it. I apologize if I derailed the topic with my previous post.

• Shane and David like this

#30 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:47 PM

Welp, I entered the wrong week again XD: A whole lot of spectacular shots this week though!

Moosh: That's a pretty awesome dungeon set! Reminds me a bit of the Deku Tree from OoT, does this have to do with Halloween? Excellent job!

Franky: Well, reviving the classics I suppose! I don't see anything wrong with this screen, it's well balanced and flows well, except the green flowers blend in too much, maybe you should have used a different Cset for them? Either way, good for you!

Mudkipz: That palette looks pretty suitable for a frozen peak all right! Hmmm, except for maybe the fact that you're missing bits of ice here and there considering it's frozen? Meh, no big deal though. A well made shot as well.

Shoelace: Can't complain, this is pretty much a masterpiece! I guess you're going for a Skyloft certain area in there? (Floating Islands...) Man, I was always curious what tileset is this, it looks like a descendant of DoR, but yet, it has its own style as well. If I wouldn't have entered this week, bam, my vote would have gone here! I'm curious to what you have in mind for the Expo. Excellent job! :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shoelace, Moosh, Franky, Mudkipz, Demonlink

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users