Photo

How do you tie your neck tie?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you tie your neck tie?

How do you tie your neck tie?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 September 2018 - 10:16 PM

Most of us hardly ever dress up, if at all.  But when we do, we often wear some sort of neck tie, whether it's the standard type, or the bow tie.  If you have done more than one of these, pick what you most prefer.  A description for those who don't know:

Four-in-Hand Knot - The simplest knot to learn, requiring the fewest steps, leaving a smaller knot.  Unlike the other knots listed, it lacks symmetry.  A good choice for narrower collars.

Half Windsor Knot - Another rather simple knot, with one extra loop compared to the one above, resulting in a slightly larger knot, and symmetry.  A great option for many situations.

Windsor Knot - The full Windsor has the most steps, making it the hardest to remember.  The knot is larger than the others mentioned, so it stands out.  Often used by famous people and those of high status.  A good choice for wider collars.

Pratt Knot - The process starts differently from the three above (inside out instead of display side out to start with), and is the youngest of the group.  The knot is larger than the Four-in-Hand, but smaller than the Windsor.  For those who still want to wear the neck tie, but still be different in a minor sort of way.

Clip-On Ties - For those who want to wear a tie, but don't want to bother learning how to tie them.  Just don't get caught with it falling off of your shirt.

Bow Ties - Some people think they are cool, especially from certain seasons of a well known British TV series.  The standard for tuxedos, and those who want to stand out among the neck ties.

----------

As for me, I have only used the first two:  The Four-in-Hand, and the Half Windsor.  I most prefer the Half Windsor, as despite there being an extra loop in the process, the symmetry makes me more satisfied with the look and thus less likely to try again.

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#2 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 03 September 2018 - 04:38 AM

I might be using slingtly different nomenclature (I hope not), but I use the windsor knot any time I need a tie.
I'm a little confused, though, because my reasoning is that it's a symmetrical version of the Half Windsor, which you say is symmetrical. Also, I've been calling my one the Double Windsor this whole time, but I've suspected that's wrong for a bit now.
In any case, it's literally the Half Windsor with another knot (so mot hard to learn or relearn) and looks nice and symmetrical, so that's the one I use.

EDIT: I'd love to learn to wear a bow tie as well. Some places ask for that and I need to use a clip-on one, which feels like cheating.

Edited by klop422, 03 September 2018 - 04:40 AM.

#3 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:38 AM

I learned the Four-in-Hand knot when I was young, so I've always defaulted to that. I once tried the Eldredge Knot but it's definitely not an every-day kind of knot. :P 

#4 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:56 AM

Interesting topic.

I have only worn a tie a handful of times in my life. I don't even own any myself currently. None of my jobs have ever required one, but I will still wear button up shirts occasionally. Any time I've had to wear a tie, it's been for formal occasions like weddings, and funerals and stuff like that. That said, I have no idea what kind of knot it was :P. Someone would just show me how to tie it, and that was that. If I had to guess it was probably one of the first two, since it seemed pretty simple. I did actually have a few clip-on ties when I was a kid, but I don't think that counts. 

#5 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 September 2018 - 09:59 PM

I might be using slingtly different nomenclature (I hope not), but I use the windsor knot any time I need a tie.
I'm a little confused, though, because my reasoning is that it's a symmetrical version of the Half Windsor, which you say is symmetrical. Also, I've been calling my one the Double Windsor this whole time, but I've suspected that's wrong for a bit now.
In any case, it's literally the Half Windsor with another knot (so mot hard to learn or relearn) and looks nice and symmetrical, so that's the one I use.

EDIT: I'd love to learn to wear a bow tie as well. Some places ask for that and I need to use a clip-on one, which feels like cheating.

The Half Windsor does look symmetrical to me at least (in the front), but I think it's nearly symmetrical, and the full Windsor (as some also call the Double Windsor like you do) is no doubt symmetrical (minus human error of course).  Sounds like you tie the Windsor.  Kudos to you for knowing how to tie the most complex of them.

I have never learned how to tie a bow tie.  I'll admit the one time I ever recall having to wear one (to a prom) it was the clip-on type.

#6 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:44 AM

Four-in-a-Hand bro. I'm so bad at tying ties, and every time I try anything more complicated I just become infuriated and give up.

Edited by Hergiswi, 04 September 2018 - 07:33 PM.

#7 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 04 September 2018 - 03:22 PM

i don't know how is called, 'cause i wear it just 2 times in my life and i don't remember the knot,  maybe it was the Pratt knot  but i'm not sure

Actually i cannot stand anything on my neck, so i wear it only when was inevitable, but I have to admit that the tie have it charm

#8 Chris Miller

Chris Miller

The Dark Man

• Banned

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:12 PM

Half Windsor or Full Windsor, depending on the shirt I'm wearing.

#9 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 06 September 2018 - 01:30 AM

Does a noose count?

#10 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:29 AM

Does a noose count?

Absolutely it counts!!! :) :) :)

hillary_noose-swingin_animated.gif
  • Nathaniel and jerome like this

#11 hideous_kojima

hideous_kojima

• Members

Posted 26 December 2018 - 04:18 AM

Loop-dee-loop and pull

And your neck tie is looking cool

#12 Linkrulehyrule21

Linkrulehyrule21

Masterlink

• Members

Posted 27 June 2019 - 03:53 PM

I like the subtle Doctor Who reference lol.

• Bagu likes this

#13 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:22 PM

Windsor. Symmetry.

Some other cool knots I've tried are the Trinity and the Waterfall

#14 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members