Progress on my games

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#46 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:32 AM

I am keeping the Pure Link. For some reason, I think of that Link as the HoD Link. Again, I don't think there will be any graphical changes. Really sorry about that.

And "Dream on" is one of the best songs ever. icon_razz.gif Thanks! Also, I think the next time I show EotM off with be during the expo, or maybe not as I have a bad habit of no showing the expo.

#47 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:59 AM

Yes, Jman's reapperance brought back my faith, too. Altough, converting beta or 2.10 quests to 2.5 will probably be hard work and sacrifice. If not impossible. I know for example that if you check the "messages disappear" quest rule, then "feed the goriya" rooms doesn't work. Do tell.

As for Link, yes that tiles fits very well HoD Link's personality. (It was hilarious... "Hi, I am Link, the sexy beast!!!" in front of a boss... A BOSS! icon_xd.gif)

I was gonna suggest to start HoD2 or TDS on 2.10 while you are waiting for 2.5, buts since it seems to be approaching, fast... we can wait for it.

#48 Ricky of Kokiri

Ricky of Kokiri

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:17 PM

I know you have a lot of people telling you how great Hero of Dreams was, but I figure that I'll throw in my two cents.

Hero of Dreams, for me, was inspiring. I've always wanted and attempted to make quests of my own, but I never get very far. Still don't, but I keep trying. >_> Hero of Dreams showed that Zelda Classic is capable of making Zelda quests that can match anything Nintendo dishes out. (Better, actually, since Nintendo's brand of storytelling is becoming awfully bland lately.) I found myself laughing out loud on a number of occassions, the custom bosses were awesome, the story was done very well... I loved this quest.

I am really looking forward to seeing your next quests, so I really hope you don't give up on Zelda Classic! I don't know if this will do anything for you, but if you find yourself drifting away, maybe playing a few quests might help? DarkFlameWolf, Freedom, and Petoe have some really good ones undertheir belts. Or maybe even making some random quickie quest in the meantime? I dunno. icon_wink.gif

So, that's my two cents. In the end, though, it's really about how you feel. If you're not feeling inspired, it's no good to force the quest (unless you're just working on random details that don't require inspiration), so don't push or force yourself on this. It's not healthy.

#49 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:39 PM

So what's up Shoelace? How's progress?
I mention that building quests on the latest builds isn't that of a problem really, it auto-saves and I always backup after important changes.

@Castchaos: Yes, I especially liked the intro, that grandpa of Link is hilarious. And starring brad pitt as Link? Lol, extremely funny. icon_lol.gif

#50 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:51 PM

Man I flip flop a lot on ZC. So yeah, I guess I can't take it anymore. I am officially putting EotM on the shelf. I can't do it anymore until 2.5 is released. It is just really eating me up. But I still promise EotM will be released in the future, but I can't do it anymore until 2.5 is released. So sorry about that.

Now that I got that out of the way. I am going to switch focus and work on HoD DC 100%. It is easier to make that one because it will still be a 2.10 game with only a little bit of things from 2.5 like, 512 dmaps, so that I can add something to it.

I was going to post this yesterday, but everyone would think it was an April Fools Joke, so yeah. lol. So yeah, I have officially faded out EotM, and going to focus on HoD DC. Something I wanted to release for a very long time. 2 years actually. Even since HoD was released, I promised a easier version of HoD and it is just being held up by 2.5. So yeah, we will see what happens.

I mention that building quests on the latest builds isn't that of a problem really, it auto-saves and I always backup after important changes.

Well what I mean is. EotM will be my last game. I want it to be perfect. But I have updated the betas hundreds of times it seems. Each time, something messes up. So I have to fix it. And it is just like a loop. I am perfectionist and like not one bug in my game, which is why I always add up finding one. And I just got to the point where I don't want to update anything, because if I update something, I will have to do it again once a new build comes out. But once the final version comes out, I will have update it once, and it will be fine. Then I can focus on the game itself and not the updating.

#51 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:54 PM

An easier version would be fun to play, although easy. What tileset are you using?

#52 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:56 PM

Well like I said before. It will HoD. I am not going to change anything really. I am just going to make some things easier like some of the timed puzzles, and damage combos, etc. While adding some extras, so that it will be a little smoother. But it will still be the same game, same graphics, etc. icon_razz.gif So don't except a new game at all.

#53 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:00 PM

Are you going to make Link move diagnally? I recommend you do so that Link can explore the overworlds more smoothly.

And I can't wait for EotM. It's the Legendary Pure Maker's final Swansong.

#54 Scootaloo

Scootaloo

too high for the grocery store

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:19 PM

Hmm... would you plan on doing anything with the subscreen, though? It could be interesting to see something different... well, good luck with this, Shoelace.

#55 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:28 PM

Actually, the fact that EotM is your last game (if it ever gets finished) will sure lower my enjoyment while playing it. I played HoD in the knowledge that it was made by a cool, powerful, veteran master questmaker who amazed everybody and plans to continue this amazement through at least 3 more quests. Now I will play EotM in the knowledge that it was made by somebody whom I expected at least 4 wonderquests, but had only two quests and such things darken his past like failing to getting back to ZC mood. Once in chat you said you were at the end of the ZC cycle... with only one quest made... (not hiding the fact that it was the best 2.10 quest, hands down) I expect somebody who at least once touches ZC to manufacture good quests on conveyor belt... Maybe it's just me... Maybe you have other things that provide enjoyment for you... But I don't really have anything besides ZC just some roms (ruins... how ironic) and horrid people around me in one of the worst countries (at least worst government, the original concept was almost great).

Whew... now that I vented my frustration, let's just say... How will we know the secrets of HoD, then? Will EotM explain everything that TDS and HoD2 would have explained and the secrets that you pointed out once in a PM?

Also, I hope HoD:DX won't be just a 2.5 compatible HoD with the only change that the impossible spikes get to be easiered... I hope the extras will dominate.

I have the feeling that instead of all the rants I should be grateful... but this stays a feeling without logical evidence...

#56 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:02 PM

Well you are right on one thing. I did plan 4 quests. They are actually planned out and it really would be a shame to not finish the whole series. However, at this point in time, I thought EotM would be done and I would be getting ready to release TDS. But I look back and see that I have done 2 years of nothing. I had been playing the waiting game for 2.5 for too long. I am really sad because I should have kept EotM on 2.10, I really should have... It was going so smoothly. But I was basically promised an August 2006 release of 2.5 and was begged to switch. Biggest mistake.

Well that 2 years of nothing, have taken a lot out of me. I am hoping that maybe I will get back my passion once I get into EotM, but I am going to treat it like my last game because it very well might be. However, you never know. When ZC 3.0 is released I may want to come back and do the last two. I promise you I won't do anything after the series, but it would really be cool to finish my series. As then everyone will appreciate the hard work that I put into the storyline.

But again, 2 years of nothing, and I have changed because of that. Nowadays, I like to go out and hang with friends. I don't play video games as much as I used to. I make youtube videos, and today, I just became in the Partner Program, so I can make money making videos. So, I don't know. I will be 23 years old very soon and I just don't know how long I will last here. So that is why I am going to try hard to release EotM as my perfect game, because if I do end up leaving. I will go out with a blast.

And about HoD DC. Well, really, as I said before. This game will be an easier version. My vision and one of the reasons why I am making it is because I want my friends to play it and easy to follow. That will be my goal.

About extras in it. Ireclan has been helping me with improved strings and such. He has been a huge help in the making of the game. I told him my plans for the extras in HoD DC, and he thinks that you will all be pleased. Because I did put in some extras for the veterans to the game (and yes diagonal movement is in). But at the same time it isn't anything that will make you drool over, it isn't a new game. This is just for all of the people that couldn't pass my game because it was too hard. But as a designer, I want to keep everyone else happy too, with extras.

#57 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:52 PM

Yay! I couldn't finish HoD because of the difficulty (made it to the end of level 6 and gave up) and I always wanted to. I found this quest super fun and it was just about perfect in every way. Good luck finishing it and I hope to see some cool extras. icon_wink.gif

#58 Captain Magenta

Captain Magenta

Senior

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:50 PM

If it is at all possible, maybe consider making both a standard difficulty HOD DC since I actually felt the difficulty aside from the timing of the floor damage combos was perfect, and then make an easier version for those people who felt the standard quest was too challenging. I actually played through to the final boss of the quest but never bothered to finish the game. The only thing I am missing out on as a result is the ending; maybe at some point I will pick it up again and finish it.

I still think improving the graphics would really breathe new life into an already awesome quest, but of course I can understand that with both the amount of work involved and also not screwing with something that just fits so well as it is, potentially for the worse, would deter you from consideration of something of that nature. In any case I think if you take a break from ZC, that will refresh you so that your interest will be sparked later; there have been plenty of instances where I have backed off of ZC due to burnout and it can help to not tinker with it for a while since it gives you a chance to recharge your batteries, so to speak......

#59 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:00 PM

If it is at all possible, maybe consider making both a standard difficulty HOD DC since I actually felt the difficulty aside from the timing of the floor damage combos was perfect, and then make an easier version for those people who felt the standard quest was too challenging. I actually played through to the final boss of the quest but never bothered to finish the game. The only thing I am missing out on as a result is the ending; maybe at some point I will pick it up again and finish it.

The plan is to make an easier version and if people wanted to play a harder version, they can play the original one. But yeah, the ending does wrap a lot of things together.

I still think improving the graphics would really breathe new life into an already awesome quest, but of course I can understand that with both the amount of work involved and also not screwing with something that just fits so well as it is, potentially for the worse, would deter you from consideration of something of that nature. In any case I think if you take a break from ZC, that will refresh you so that your interest will be sparked later; there have been plenty of instances where I have backed off of ZC due to burnout and it can help to not tinker with it for a while since it gives you a chance to recharge your batteries, so to speak......

Well, if I improve the graphics, I would have to do it for the whole game. And if I change any sort of style, I will change the style for my puzzles and design because I like it to match. So basically, I don't want to change anything like that, because I would change a lot more than that. Like for example, I want to redo the whole Palm Island. However, if I do that, I may have to change a lot of other things and such. So in the end, I won't change it.

I have been taking a break from ZC too. And again it seems like I haven't been doing it for so long. And I want to. But again, I have to wait until 2.5. So we will see how that goes. But again, maybe working on HoD DC will make the juices running again. icon_razz.gif

#60 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:31 AM

You can also try custom SFX.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users