Photo

Screenshot of the Week 285

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ (49 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 BitZero

BitZero

Junior

• Members

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:02 PM

Lots of great shots this week.

Jupiter: It's a nice shot, but as been said before, the flags don't go very well with the tileset in my opinion. Another suggestion would be to place shadows on the sand above the mountains in the lower-left corner of the screen.

Sheik: This is a very nice shot, and the trees are awesome. If I hadn't entered, I'd have voted for you.

green-kirby: A very solid shot, but it doesn't really speak out above the rest to me.

Nuvo: I think that is a very splendid swamp shack and shot. I also like the palette you used.

catfriedrice: My main problem with this shot is the repetition in the sand texture and the blankness of the mat thing for the shop. I like the idea of the outdoor shop like that, though.

JimmyB: The screen seems a little crowded in my opinion, and the use of all the ground forms gives the shot too much variation. The atmosphere is well done, however.

SerpitaX: What you have looks great, but the black parts of the screen look unfinished. If it's supposed to be over a big gap, trying adding wind or falling rubble or something.

Yeah. I was getting that feeling of incompleteness from the black parts. I never thought of using wind though, and it seems like that would be a very neat idea.

@Serpita - JUst wondering what that black is icon_smile.gif

It's just an empty void, really.

#17 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE(SerpitaX @ Mar 17 2010, 06:02 PM) View Post

Jupiter: It's a nice shot, but as been said before, the flags don't go very well with the tileset in my opinion. Another suggestion would be to place shadows on the sand above the mountains in the lower-left corner of the screen.

I don't think it's been said before, as nobody on this thread has commented on the flags, and they are original rips by me that were just uploaded to the PureZC database only 3 days ago...I think I'm the only person to use them so far.

That said, I do think that in a screenshot they look like they don't have enough detail for the DoR tileset...but I think that they look much better with the animation (the key is picking the right colors, darker is better). Really, I think they look pretty good once animated, but agree they'd fit in even better in the Pure tileset or something.

I completely agree on the shadows...I just avoided it because then I felt like I had to add a shadow for the bridge and the mountains on other screens, which would be complicated since there is a lot of varied terrain and tiles that would then be under shadow.

Edited by Jupiter, 18 March 2010 - 01:30 AM.

#18 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:25 AM

All of the shots were great! However, Sheik won my vote!

#19 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:30 PM

Jupiter - 7/10
We are in Scotland, where some of my ancestors were kicked out of! I like how you made the ship fit in. Nice beach too. My only criticism is how a bridge that long, narrow, and so high up (as my perspective tells me) has no shown support. Just looks strange to me. While it is probably necessary for the screens to the north and the south, I admit that the screen would probably look even better either without the bridge or with something different being done with it.

Sheik - 8/10
I love those ground details. Those tree selections will take a little more time to grow on me, but I love the consistency of it all.

green-kirby - 7/10
I like the mystical feel of these woods. Very nice for something that is very simple in concept.

Nuvo - 8/10
Very well detailed down to every aspect, without going over the top. I especially like how well the dock and boathouse adapt perfectly to the environment around it.

SerpitaX - 7/10
I actually like the black space, as it gives a sense of mystery to the screen. It clearly has its purpose here. The ground details and building fit around it well. I would just change the three trees to maybe just one or two very similar looking ones, or remove them since they are so close to the building, unless any of them have a purpose beyond just aesthetics.

catfriedrice - 6/10
Kind of plain, but not revolting either. It serves its purpose, but not too much beyond that.

JimmyB - 6/10
Not bad when you look at individual portions, but the overall placements together feel awkward to me. Perhaps it has to do with the very abrupt transitions, as if the screen is trying to bite off more than it can chew.

Vote goes to Sheik for overall appeal.

#20 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:07 PM

Graphics have come a long way in Zelda Classic, since back in the day.
Very good shots... all of them.

#21 lightdestroyer

lightdestroyer

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:01 PM

I have to vote for Sheik. The atmosphere is really great and the palette choice is beautiful. Those trees give a sort-of "you're not in human land anymore" feeling and they fit perfectly with the rest. Good work !

#22 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:28 PM

Sorry green-kirby; Sheik's screen just stole the show from you, Nuvo, and pretty much everyone else here, so I kinda had to vote for that.

#23 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:12 PM

I'm amazed by the quality of all these shots. Seriously. Each one of these could easily win a SOTW if they weren't featured simultaneously.

My vote this week goes to SerpitaX. Even though there aren't really custom tiles, the way the screen is composed is awesome. I like the effect of the total black around the grass.

#24 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:02 AM

Jupiter - 3 votes = [7.32%]
Sheik - 25 votes = [60.98%]
green-kirby - 3 votes = [7.32%]
Nuvo - 3 votes = [7.32%]
SerpitaX - 2 votes = [4.88%]
catfriedrice - 0 votes = [0.00%]
JimmyB - 5 votes = [12.20%]
Total Votes: 41

Sheik
IPB Image
Turtle Rock!?

Sheik wins this week against a huge competitive range; great job to him!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users