Photo

What style appeals to you the most?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: What style appeals to you the most?

Which gameplay style appeals to you most?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:27 PM

In terms of ZC quests, what kinds of quests do you find yourself playing the most? The poll options are similar to the genres you can select when uploading, but with some extra stuff. You can answer the poll, and not post, if you want, but hearing what you like/ dislike and why in a quest could be helpful to would-be quest makers such as myself.

Also, the poll is multiple choice, if you like two or more styles. I want to avoid asking about scripted vs non-scripted quests, cause my aim here is to see what kind of play style people prefer, regardless of the technical aspects behind them, or graphics, or sound design. In other words, I'm more interested in what you like, not how what you like was made.

EDIT: I also want to make a small distinction between the last two options for the sake of this poll. "Non-traditional" refers to quests like Yurei, or Rite of the Storm. They use original characters, and assets, but still largely play like a Zelda game without conforming to all the tropes of a Zelda game. For "Non-Zelda". I was thinking more along the lines of GRIKARUGUN, or A Boy and His Cursor. Like I said, this is looking at the way the games play, not what they look like.

Thanks for voting! For science. :D

#2 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:34 PM

Although I can definitely enjoy more traditional quests (NoeL's Linked Seasons was as vanilla as they come and yet I loved it), I prefer both to play and to make quests that don't feel like ZC.

#3 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:30 PM

I prefer a quest that does what it chooses to do successfully. It doesn't matter what type of quest it is as long as it does it, and keeps me interested.

My favorite games in the Zelda series are my favorites for various reasons. Oracle of Ages for being overall solid at everything imo. Adventure of Link for its sense of accomplishment. Majora's Mask for its engaging plot and characters. Breath of the Wild for its adventure and exploration. Triforce Heroes for being a good time.

I could enjoy Avataro's Puzzle Robots the same way I enjoy Shane's and Avataro's Rite of the Storm, or LunarRedMage's Lyrics of Death, or DarkFlameWolf's Origin, or Aevin's Hero's Memory, or Flying Fish's Tower of Courage, or Jamian's Forbidden City.

If it's made well, I will likely enjoy it.
  • Anthus and Evan20000 like this

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:03 PM

Nontraditional. Since you mentioned them both, Yuurei and Rite of the Storm are among my favorite ZC quests. After that, I guess I'd go for a toss-up between story driven and non-linear; stuff like Eiyuu comes to mind.

#5 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:59 PM

I voted for everything but traditional and non-Zelda. Absolutely nothing wrong with keeping to tradition but it's just something that doesn't inspire me to play unless it's really well executed. Also I play ZC mostly for that Zelda-esque gameplay, so anything that's not too Zelda doesn't strike me as super appealing. I like a good mix of non-linear, story-driven and non-traditional stuff. Sometimes I feel like exploring something open or perhaps I want to explore a world through its narrative or maybe I want something that pushes creativity a bit more. Ideally I want my best quest to be a mix of these three, sort of like Yuurei. I feel it struck a nice balance. Although I personally like a bit more puzzle elements too. :D

• Matthew likes this

#6 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:32 AM

I voted non-linear and non-traditional, just because I like seeing innovation. I don't care for heavy story/dialogue, and while it's cool to see non-Zelda stuff in ZC people would be better off using a different engine altogether.

Traditional quests only appeal to me if there's innovation elsewhere, like a new tileset for example. I doubt Geoffrey would've liked Linked Seasons as much as he did if it looked like every other quest.

• Jared and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#7 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:02 AM

I like finished quests.

• 4matsy, Shane, Eddy and 5 others like this

#8 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:25 AM

Pretty much all of my submitted quests are of the non-zelda style, so consider that the style that most appeals to me. However, I voted for all options, except for non-linear :D I agree with Shoshun here. As for why I excluded non-linear, I just think that its most likely that the more non-linear it gets, the less interesting it is. I just think non-linear quests are a lot harder to make. And i haven't actually seen many quests of that style.

Edited by Avataro, 25 November 2017 - 01:21 PM.

• Matthew likes this

#9 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:30 PM

Voted for everything except Story-Driven. I'm personally not really big with stories and don't pay much attention to them in general, so I don't really get interested much with these kind of quests. I equally like all the others as much though. There's been some really great non-Zelda quests, a lot of Avataro's quests are probably what I have in mind. Just the fact that you can do so many crazy things with the editor that makes quests not even look anything like Zelda anymore is really great, and they usually have very interesting gimmicks and ideas. There's also been incredible traditional style quests, such as Lost Isle for the biggest one (though that only has 5 dungeons), but I always like to go back to old-school Zelda sometimes, sit down and play a standard Zelda-style quest. Non-linear quests are definitely interesting, though I don't think I've really seen a lot of those. As a concept though, it could play out nicely and I imagine the fact that you can go anywhere at the start would open up a lot of cool opportunities (and I guess would be a BotW ZC of some sort lol). Finally, non-traditional quests have been great too. Quests like Yuurei and RotS are really good and I definitely like the idea of a single labyrinth split into several different areas. It feels very Metroid-like in a way, especially Yuurei and Hitodama.

So yeah, that's what appeals to me :P

• Anthus and Shane like this

#10 Nightmeres

Nightmeres

Defender

• Members

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:09 PM

I tend to like stories a whole lot, well written stories inspire me

#11 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:14 PM

Really insightful. Looks like people prefer more open experiences, or at the very least, experiences that are well made. Some of the 'non-traditional' quests are among the most popular. It looks like there is still some substantial interest, and appreciation for more classic-like experiences too, which is good.

As for me personally, I'd have to go with Non-Traditional. Non-linear to an extent, as long as it is done right, but I like quests that are generally on the shorter side of things, that try to do something unique. I don't really get invested in stories people write, but quests like the before mentioned Yuurei, and Rite of the Storm both had enjoyable, non-imposing stories, so I'm open to it if it is again, done right. Maybe I'm less opposed to original stories than I am to someone's Zelda fan-story. :P

I know I'm more likely to beat a quest that doesn't use the standard nine dungeon format than one that does. I think people should not focus on a certain length as a goal, but instead, come up with as many good ideas as they can, and make a shorter (or longer!) quest with those. Longer "Full" quests can drone on, or cause me to lose interest if I hit a dungeon or two I don't like. That's not to say I don't like them, it's just I'm less likely to get invested unless it is some good stuff. 

• Eddy likes this

#12 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:29 PM

I went with each except story. it's not a book!
  • Anthus likes this

#13 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 25 November 2017 - 01:18 PM

I really enjoy traditional quests - if they are made well. I expect something that is on the level of the Oracle games, many more traditional quests here couldn't keep up with that. Scripts often help, but I also played some great traditional quests without scripts. I actually can't see story-driven or non-linear as separate from traditional, they are just ways to make a traditional quest more interesting. The only problem with them is that non-linear quests are more difficult to make (balancing difficulty and exploration is a lot more difficult with them after all) and a bad story can be tedious and annoying.

Completely Non-traditional is rather not my type. Traditional quests (if well-made) are a mix of many great elements and that makes them enjoyable. Puzzles are a change from just killing monsters non-stop. A good variety of monsters keeps exploring interesting. Overworlds are nice open areas that give you time to breath between dungeons. Story can help with that. Dungeons should be a challenge, less open and where you have multiple paths playing well together.

Hitodama and Yuurei lack the "time to breath"-moments for me. It obviously doesn't help that the tileset, colors and enemies rather are irritating and stressing than calming. I assume that typical Zelda games with either their easy diffulty or their focus on nature, puzzles and exploration with rather few challenges are quite good to calm down and cancel out stressing thoughts to draw you in. On the other side games like Metroid, Megaman or Yuurei (there my lack of knowledge about games shows once more) rather draw you in by giving a non-stop challenge that is supposed to stress you out and to agitate you I assume. I wonder if I would enjoy them more if I would be more in peace with my life, but right know I don't enjoy games like Yuurei too much.

This shows even more with RitS. I gave it a rather bad review. I like quests that have dark and thrilling elements, Moosh made a great quest (the one with jumping mustaches). Where not knowing "what's going on" exites you for discovering the secret. I also can imagine some other mysterie based quests that I would enjoy a lot. Bright colors and such in RitS with a rather confusing and upsetting "what's going on"-feeling have something rather claustrophobic with a story that invokes the fear of a closing in catastrophe that you can't do anything against. That's exactly like my own life feels and I don't need more of that. Reflecting on all that I suppose that this actually makes RitS an excellent quest for everyone that is more settled in life to dive into emotions they don't typically confront.

An exclusion are quests like Avataros puzzle robots or fight the monsters. The focus on one single element of the traditional games is great if you only want to deal with these for the moment. For completely unique quest it's difficult to say I like them or not, after all the range of games that are not ZC-like is huge.

Of course personal taste plays a big role, too. There are quests that are difficult for me to enjoy as I hate the graphics/music/story/difficulty or the way you are meant to explore. I don't remember a quest that had a great gameplay while the graphics/music were so horrible that I couldn't keep playing, but with a quest that is just OK this was often a reason to stop for me. I had some stories I didn't like too much, but nothing serious so far. I have seen far worse in games made by professionals.

Difficulty is more of a problem to me, I remember how I was always short from exploding as I died over and over again while playing something from NJF - too difficult for me but such a great dungeon I just couldn't stop playing. Or IoR, an awesome quest, but it feels like I am always playing with a sword one level below the one I should have by know. That makes fighting somewhat tedious and especially the boss that shoots hands as you I couldn't beat as the battle dragged on and on whatever weapon I used. The enemies didn't deal much damage though, it's really just that a boss that kills you with three hits but is killed with ten hits results in many fights and chances to have one lucky run while a boss that kills you with 30 hits but needs 100 hits to get defeated is a lot more likely to make you mess up during the long battle and the length of the battle makes you fed up to try for another whole 5 minutes. I am going so much into detail here as IoR does give you an easy mode, but while it might help with bosses, you just take less damage which keeps killing tedious and makes yourself near invulnerable, ruining any challenge the game throws at you beside bosses.

Exploration can also be annoying. Too big dungeons/overworlds are one of the most common problems I see in quests. Just a lot of running through empty space. With Freedom's Quests or Lost Isle the world feels often cramped instead and my movement limited. With Lost Isle I also have the problem that while the world is huge, the various paths are rather linear and include lots of backtracking. LI and Origin also both have some non-linearity, though you often find yourself stuck without the correct item. I don't dislike the idea of giving a need to make notes, but I dislike the idea of mapping to avoid checking each possible path for the thousands time if you need only one item/switch to progress further and won't find much else on all the other paths.
  • Anthus and Avaro like this

#14 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 25 November 2017 - 01:37 PM

I really enjoy traditional quests - if they are made well. I expect something that is on the level of the Oracle games, many more traditional quests here couldn't keep up with that. Scripts often help, but I also played some great traditional quests without scripts. I actually can't see story-driven or non-linear as separate from traditional, they are just ways to make a traditional quest more interesting. The only problem with them is that non-linear quests are more difficult to make (balancing difficulty and exploration is a lot more difficult with them after all) and a bad story can be tedious and annoying.

Completely Non-traditional is rather not my type. Traditional quests (if well-made) are a mix of many great elements and that makes them enjoyable. Puzzles are a change from just killing monsters non-stop. A good variety of monsters keeps exploring interesting. Overworlds are nice open areas that give you time to breath between dungeons. Story can help with that. Dungeons should be a challenge, less open and where you have multiple paths playing well together.

Hitodama and Yuurei lack the "time to breath"-moments for me. It obviously doesn't help that the tileset, colors and enemies rather are irritating and stressing than calming. I assume that typical Zelda games with either their easy diffulty or their focus on nature, puzzles and exploration with rather few challenges are quite good to calm down and cancel out stressing thoughts to draw you in. On the other side games like Metroid, Megaman or Yuurei (there my lack of knowledge about games shows once more) rather draw you in by giving a non-stop challenge that is supposed to stress you out and to agitate you I assume. I wonder if I would enjoy them more if I would be more in peace with my life, but right know I don't enjoy games like Yuurei too much.

This shows even more with RitS. I gave it a rather bad review. I like quests that have dark and thrilling elements, Moosh made a great quest (the one with jumping mustaches). Where not knowing "what's going on" exites you for discovering the secret. I also can imagine some other mysterie based quests that I would enjoy a lot. Bright colors and such in RitS with a rather confusing and upsetting "what's going on"-feeling have something rather claustrophobic with a story that invokes the fear of a closing in catastrophe that you can't do anything against. That's exactly like my own life feels and I don't need more of that. Reflecting on all that I suppose that this actually makes RitS an excellent quest for everyone that is more settled in life to dive into emotions they don't typically confront.

An exclusion are quests like Avataros puzzle robots or fight the monsters. The focus on one single element of the traditional games is great if you only want to deal with these for the moment. For completely unique quest it's difficult to say I like them or not, after all the range of games that are not ZC-like is huge.

Of course personal taste plays a big role, too. There are quests that are difficult for me to enjoy as I hate the graphics/music/story/difficulty or the way you are meant to explore. I don't remember a quest that had a great gameplay while the graphics/music were so horrible that I couldn't keep playing, but with a quest that is just OK this was often a reason to stop for me. I had some stories I didn't like too much, but nothing serious so far. I have seen far worse in games made by professionals.

Difficulty is more of a problem to me, I remember how I was always short from exploding as I died over and over again while playing something from NJF - too difficult for me but such a great dungeon I just couldn't stop playing. Or IoR, an awesome quest, but it feels like I am always playing with a sword one level below the one I should have by know. That makes fighting somewhat tedious and especially the boss that shoots hands as you I couldn't beat as the battle dragged on and on whatever weapon I used. The enemies didn't deal much damage though, it's really just that a boss that kills you with three hits but is killed with ten hits results in many fights and chances to have one lucky run while a boss that kills you with 30 hits but needs 100 hits to get defeated is a lot more likely to make you mess up during the long battle and the length of the battle makes you fed up to try for another whole 5 minutes. I am going so much into detail here as IoR does give you an easy mode, but while it might help with bosses, you just take less damage which keeps killing tedious and makes yourself near invulnerable, ruining any challenge the game throws at you beside bosses.

Exploration can also be annoying. Too big dungeons/overworlds are one of the most common problems I see in quests. Just a lot of running through empty space. With Freedom's Quests or Lost Isle the world feels often cramped instead and my movement limited. With Lost Isle I also have the problem that while the world is huge, the various paths are rather linear and include lots of backtracking. LI and Origin also both have some non-linearity, though you often find yourself stuck without the correct item. I don't dislike the idea of giving a need to make notes, but I dislike the idea of mapping to avoid checking each possible path for the thousands time if you need only one item/switch to progress further and won't find much else on all the other paths.

None of this made sense.

• Shane likes this

#15 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:07 PM

I get that quite often. Though I won't be able to explain it better if I don't know what makes no sense. I pretty much tried to say the same like Shoshon the Elegant but added various reasons that for me personally ruin a otherwise good quest somewhat. It really sucks to be a real life Butters...
  • Jenny likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users