Photo

Screenshot of the Week 323

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (53 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:33 AM

I voted for King Harknarian. It's a decently made monochrome GB screen, something not often seen in SotW. I have no problems with the playability, although it can do with less open corners, as not very many GB dungeon shots seen in SotW do well in. Personally, I was tossing up between you and Sepulcher.

#17 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:32 AM

Unvotedfor people unite! icon_lol.gif I guess there were just too many good shots this week... icon_shrug.gif

#18 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:22 AM

Yeah, agreed icon_razz.gif
I guess mine wasn't made for SotW...but i'm still glad people like it icon_smile.gif

#19 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:12 AM

Sepulcher:

Excellent screen all around. Good use of existing and new tiles. Well, okay, I do have two concerns: 1. no enemies or conflict, and 2. the water placement is a little close to the screen borders, which may present problems if you use the Flippers. But the subscreen is excellent (despite a marked lack of a minimap...why does everyone seem intent on removing that?...) and everything else comes together excellently.

Lynker:

Man, that subscreen frame is popular. But your icons look good on it as well, so it's all good. The screen itself is not terribly exciting, but the palette is nice and the design is decent. You're really pushing the limits of walkable space, but it's not quite squished enough to call it "cramped" yet.

Yoshidude:

Again, more unmoving shots of a village with NPCs that may or may not talk and no interesting puzzles. Man, at least give us a dialog screen or something.

King Harkinian:

Hmmm. A ZQuest shot. Not a fan of those. The way that center row of wall tiles meets the raised platform in the lower-right is incorrect, and in this case I wouldn't recommend the "open corners" in the upper-left and far lower-right. Also, the way you use the walls in this shot would be more befitting of mountain tiles. Walls are better used to enclose rooms than to create so many raised areas. Overall, it's okay, but I wouldn't take this approach to dungeons.

PkM64:

Well yes, this is allowed, but in this case I think your adherence to the requirements of Screen Rebirth has put you at a disadvantage for SotW. This is an okay remake of the Rebirth screen, but on its own it's kinda questionable why you made such an odd design. It's a little too busy, as well; I think BS is best kept a little simpler than Pure.

ZebraStallion:

Heh, gradient colors on the subscreen. That's cool and all, but the subscreen is REALLY incomplete otherwise. You don't even have item icons. It's good progress, but not much progress. The screen is pretty decent, except the mountains are too high contrast against the light snow colors. Not sure if that's a default palette, but I'd recommend editing it further. That tree stump does not look good with the pine tree top. I'd recommend using a different one. Perhaps reconsider the Minish Cap default pine tree stump.

Also, that's a lot of space for just fighting two Lynels. Perhaps if you had something else to do on this screen, or else add a few boulders to constrict things a bit.

William:

Though not terribly exciting, this is a strong screen where everything seems to be working pretty well. The lone exception would be the two overlapping trees on the bottom center edge. The upper one is not necessary and looks wrong. Also, no subscreen, yadda yadda. But at least you have Link and a few enemies to fill the walkable space.

All in all, I voted for Sepulcher. His screen needs more conflict, but it has pretty much everything else that constitutes a good screen. I'd advocate for putting back the minimap and assigning item counters to the active item buttons. It'd require limiting selectable items to the B-button, yes, but that's my suggestion, seeing as the screen seems to be running out of space.

#20 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:05 AM

I nulled my vote
because it is to hard to chose
from so many good screenshots

#21 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Jun 6 2011, 07:32 AM) View Post

Unvoted for people unite! icon_lol.gif I guess there were just too many good shots this week... icon_shrug.gif
At least people aren't hating on your screen.

#22 symbiote01

symbiote01

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:29 PM

Sepulcher: Nice screen, great tileset. For a dead-end screen, this has just the right visual punch to make coming here worthwhile. No enemies? 8/10
Lynker: Good scene design. I like that you are not afraid to use interactable scenery (bushes, grass, etc) as scenery you can't get to. That said, the colors seem a little 'light'- like a super-bright spring day. 8/10
Yoshidude: Screen seems a little blocky. I'll admit I'm not a fan of the Oracle series of games, and this reminds me of those games a lot. That said, the screen is well-designed and, if you were trying to look like an Oracle game, you succeeded. 7/10
Harkinian: I like the retro feel in the colors. The screen evokes confusion- the different heights don't mesh (the bottom right especially should be two tiles tall). While the colors suggest LA, the screen design points to the Oracle games. 7.5/10
PokemonMaster: An animated GIF. Double-entried in SOTW and Rebirth. In an older-style graphics (BS). I love the design, and love the visual punch. In short, this one gets my vote. 9.5/10
ZebraStallion: Good design, I like the off-centered nature of the screen. The falling snow looks a little too regular- vertical columns of identical snowflakes. The GB-style Lynels seem out of place. 8.5/10
William: I like the screen design; despite my reservations against the tileset, this screen is well-made. The snowflakes seem too small- almost like raindrops. But why are the mountain ledges blue? 9/10

Edited by symbiote01, 06 June 2011 - 01:32 PM.

#23 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jun 6 2011, 08:12 AM) View Post

ZebraStallion:

Heh, gradient colors on the subscreen. That's cool and all, but it's REALLY incomplete otherwise. You don't even have item icons. It's good progress, but not much progress.

That's why I said to excuse the subscreen. >_>

#24 King Harkinian

King Harkinian

This site is still a thing?

• Members

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:39 PM

Zquest shot? No... I just made link invincible and disabled the subscreen. icon_confused.gif

I nulled for obvious reasons... Open corners, icon_doh.gif .... Never took that into consideration while making this....
All the shots are decent. Great job everyone!

#25 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:17 PM

I voted for pokemonmaster64. I love the BS set, and I have not seen a creative shot with it in a long time. The two wintery entries are also very nice. William is second in my book. King Harkinian has a cool one-color palette, but the design is kind of odd. That open patch in the upper left doesn't look very good. The Pure/ DoR shots are good, and pretty, but there are just so many shots out there like that, and when I look at SotW, graphics aren't as important to me as creativity, and uniqueness.

Good turn out this week.

#26 Purplemandown

Purplemandown

The Old Guard

• Members

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:00 PM

As much as I absolutely despise the GB tileset, William's screen was amazing. I'd just be an idiot to not vote for it out of pride and hatred for GB...

(Lynker's was a close second.)

#27 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE(ZebraStallion @ Jun 6 2011, 12:57 PM) View Post
That's why I said to excuse the subscreen. >_>

I understand, but are we therefore not allowed to comment about it?

QUOTE(King Harkinian @ Jun 7 2011, 02:39 PM) View Post
Zquest shot? No... I just made link invincible and disabled the subscreen. icon_confused.gif

Really? Hmm. Then why bother taking the shot in the ZC player?...

QUOTE(King Harkinian @ Jun 7 2011, 02:39 PM) View Post
I nulled for obvious reasons... Open corners, icon_doh.gif .... Never took that into consideration while making this....

I don't always diss open corners...just... in this case, with such a subdivided screen, I think it'd be best without them. Specifically, there's no reason to block off the center of a screen border and then leave a walkable, accessible corner open.

#28 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:41 PM

Sepulcher:
Nice tidy Classic design with new tiles, a star combination.

Linker:
Extremely well-built, provides fun no matter from what side I enter.

Yoshidude:
Great village screen, GBC shines onward.

King Harkinian:
Interesting design and grayscale makes it even better.

Pokemonmaster64:
No, I don't think it's allowed to litter rupees on the beach. But this scenery is great, especially with those cleverly used foliage. The animation gives such a nostalgic feeling, it makes me recall those very old screens from before 2006.

ZebraStallion:
Nice little screen, it strucked a bit simple next to the others, but the more I look at it, the more I like it.

William:
Well-built.

It was so hard to choose. *presses the Sepulcher button while nobody looks*

#29 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:56 PM

Lot's of entrys and hard to decide again...
Voted for William's great GBC-style-pic. ^^

#30 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:52 PM

Sepulcher: I'd change the palette so that the greens on the trees and tall grass use something that doesn't blend so much with the regular grass. I really like the rest of it though! 8/10

Lynker: Remember what I told you about mountain merging? This is a prime opportunity to do so, even if it's just for a few tiles. 6.5/10

Yoshidude: Very nice screen. No tile errors, but it needs something more going on. 7.5/10

King Harkinian: I don't like the palette; it would look better with some color in it. There are also a bunch of tile errors, as well as open corners. All in all, it has quite a few problems, but it has potential to be a great screen. 5/10

Pokemonmaster64: It's pretty square. I also don't like the long line of waterfalls at the top. You've also got some symmetry going on, which isn't that bad but generally I try to avoid it. Great effort though, with the animated .gif and everything. 7/10

ZebraStallion: Once again I'd change the palette, this time so that the darker normal grass color sticks out a little more. Everything else is great! 7.5/10

William: Perfection. The only really minor thing I'd change is removing the snow mound in the top left off the top of the snow pile. 9/10

William got my vote here. Great screen!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users