Link and Zelda: Panoply of Calatia

• Please log in to reply
428 replies to this topic

#406 OkamiTakahashi

OkamiTakahashi

Heartbroken Hero

• Members

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:28 PM

Ooh, the long awaited 1.5 update! This, plus the really LAZY edit of Zelda 1 Nintendo just released on the NES Online app, gives me the needed reason to replay through this game.

A secret alternate final boss eh? Interesting...

Welp, time to redownload the game and replay it, and continue raving about it to friends on ZU. Once again, thank you SO much for all the hard work and effort you put into Panoply of Calatia. It really is the best quest I've ever played in my life, and truly feels like it lives up to the franchise standards. THIS really is Zelda III to me.

Edit: the game should be a little easier to control for me now that I have a Switch pro controller. Though it's been so long since I played the game that I just keep dying and forgot what to do. Time to rewatch Melee Wizard :P

Also, I've played your sailing demo, Mitsukara. Once again, your incredible skill just blows me away. There is just so much effort put into the one demo and shows an immense amount of promise. Best of luck to you on the development of Memories of Koholint.

Edited by OkamiTakahashi, 11 October 2018 - 02:26 PM.

#407 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:32 PM

This was going to be a "small" update to fix one problem I noticed in 1.5 "real quick", buuuut, um, it got out of hand... sorry to anyone who dived into 1.5 right away. <_<' (Although you can swap out the new quest file with the old one, and put the new support pack files in, and it should be compatible with your old save file.)

Version 1.63 is up on the database!

EDIT: Due to more undercombo and cset errors, and possibly a missing elevator (in a shaft going down so it wasn't gamebreaking), now it's Version 1.62. I recommend updating. You can use the same save file as before, just copy and paste the new version of the quest over the old one (or make a backup if you see fit).

EDIT 2: Version 1.63 is currently being uploaded. It has no major changes from version 1.62, but it allows the Roc's Cape to be used again after riding on a spinner track, as well as fixing minor combo errors and slightly improving the visual appearance of certain areas. Updates ARE compatible with old save files, so you can copy this new version of the quest into your ZC folder and use your old save file- just make sure to grab the latest version of the music too.

New features:

• Finally added a "Boss Rush" mode of sorts. There are no prizes, but you can choose to re-fight all of the bosses and minibosses in a post-game area.
  • One new item, an improvement for the Good Octorok, now exists and can be obtained by completing a small new challenge involving carried objects.
  • Certain climbable overworld ledges can now be hopped down a la LTTP/gameboy games. They have also been added to a few new locations.
  • Magic bubbles can now be harmed by Sprite the Mouse-Cursor fairy. (My apologies/thanks to MeleeWizard, who tried this back in earlier versions when it was not yet a thing.)
  • New scripted Geru knights appear in various sideview ares, as well as "quadrupedal Zora" enemies (sometimes known as Basilisks).

Design changes:

• Made several major tweaks to a certain gold dungeon to liven it up a little and reduce the emptiness, with small new challenges.
  • Added slightly more of a puzzle to the room after you fall in Yamauchi palace, and altered the room down the basement stairs.
  • Darknuts can now be hit by arrows for 1/4 damage, and Tunkrads can be hit by the sword for 1/4 damage. This does not apply to the gray (splitting) variety, who will still block those weapons.
  • Various tweaks to certain Impa hints and final battle hints.
  • Some enemy locations have been changed or moved based on my experiences replaying the quest.
  • Poes now take damage from arrows.
  • Moved the new Soejima Palace shortcut, introduced in 1.5, back a couple rooms to fit better with the progression of the dungeon.
  • Ceiling masters work slightly better and cast a warning shadow that covers the player.
  • All Moas can be pushed by the shield, and their number in the valley area has been reduced.
  • Replaced Impa's unhelpful hint about how to stop Link's beetle in the castle basement with a hint about the location of the anchor.
  • The Wrecking Ball now creates a dust trail when it touches any breakable blocks, so you can tell they're breakable if it's not going full-speed.
  • Several dungeons now have additional (optional) wrecking ball-breakable areas in sideview for shortcutty secret / convenience purposes.
  • Blaino statues now have a wider hitbox and are less finnicky about hitting vertical targets, greatly simplifying certain puzzles.
  • Added two more hints regarding beetle usage.
  • Added an additional raft/wind sideview segment to a late game lava cave.
  • Several tweaks to the final dungeon entrance to make mechanics clearer up-front before the first severely confusing puzzle.
  • Error mode now has a small chance of spawning rising lava or crushing ceilings.
  • If a falling pushblock lands on you, it will now cause four hearts of damage to the player.
  • Some new, simplistic Bouncer objects appear in new places.
  • The raft minigame now displays the swim ring on the player for a moment when it is used.
  • Added a way to get a secret free level-up in the level-down house in Caragonne town.
  • The pre-final boss has had additional tweaks involving the floor, HP during a change in the fight, and a slight adjustment to speed.
  • Slight tweaks to the joke dialogue seen after defeating Moosh's bonus boss.
  • The final boss can be defeated via new unorthodox means. Namely...

Spoiler

Aesthetic changes:

• Additional overworld music has been added, including two prominent pieces of custom 8-bit Wind Waker music. The old music all still appears, but certain areas play their own special songs now, as follows:

Spoiler

• The Parachute Leaf now creates sparkles as you move.
  • Spinner tracks have been slightly redrawn to look a little less like LTTP's Somaria tracks.
  • A mountain area has been tweaked regarding which screens have the ash layer on them, and lava.
  • The triforce check screen now sparkles and plays hopeful music (the same Maze of Galious song as when you finish a dungeon) after it is opened.
  • Sprite the mouse cursor Fairy can now make the credit fireworks explode sooner if she touches them.
  • The springboards now animate.

Bug fixes:

• Whistle warps in a certain mountain now return you to the beginning of that dmap, instead of defaulting to the first town. Previously, this had created an issue where the rising lava or falling ceilings could carry over to inappropriate maps.
  • Fixed a battle scene warp on a certain screen which, while previous functional, had warped you to a town dmap instead of the battle dmap, with the wrong music, cset, and continue point.
  • Fixed an issue from 1.5 with the new Dragon Slayer IV/Legacy of the Wizard MSX music track used for Nakago Palace, which previously would play the wrong song if selected in the music selector.
  • Fixed a bug where, in a certain dungeon, the whistle wouldn't resume the music until you went to another screen. This was the only thing I started out meaning to fix, before spending half a week on the rest of this update.
  • Added a ladder to a room in a certain gold-colored palace where you might have (sort of) gotten stuck if you entered with the elevator too high.
  • Slight fix to the ending loading behavior that is only relevant in an obscure situation involving the hookshot/switch hook to get through walls to complete the game in an unintended order (AKA "Dimentio's Bug").
  • Fixed a bug in which a certain boss fight would proceed with cutscene behavior while still ticking up experience points, possibly bugging the game into thinking that boss wasn't defeated (I think this may be what happened to Eppy once?)
  • Fixed buggy interactions between the flute and the tablets that display song notes.
  • Fixed a case in a specific dungeon in which finishing playing the flute did not resume the music on that screen.
  • When you press Start while using the flute, the music will now resume properly.
  • Fixed a bug where the flute warped you to the East Calatia dmap at West Calatia destinations.
  • 1.61: The changes to the compass room in Yokoi palace in 1.6 made the compass unobtainable, which has now been fixed.
  • 1.61: A broken CSet issue in the level-down house in Caragonne has been fixed.

I should probably consider sleeping this week, but the Panoply of Calatia sleeps again... forever! Until 40,000 new bugs are discovered in five minutes

Edited by Mitsukara, 01 December 2018 - 08:36 PM.

• ShadowTiger, Deedee and ywkls like this

#408 OkamiTakahashi

OkamiTakahashi

Heartbroken Hero

• Members

Posted 17 November 2018 - 06:35 PM

Oh, uh, whoops. Guess I spoke too soon about diving back in! Ah well, no harm done, wasn't very far anyway. Time to start again!

• ShadowTiger and Mitsukara like this

#409 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:02 PM

I just took another run-through of the game.  I like the little changes.  I'm finding all these areas I never explored before.  It is, of course, going a lot faster than my first playthrough, (I got stuck so many times. XD )  but the helpful hints really did add a ton to it.  Well done! :D  I love how creative people can get with the items.

I need to start advertising this game to other people.  I should also make an all-in-one pre-prepared zip that's pretty much "Yeah, just double-click, and you're good to start playing." If only I could find another copy of ZC 2.50.2  ...

• Mitsukara likes this

#410 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:04 AM

EDIT 2: Version 1.65 has been submitted to the database. Additional changes include:

- Various extra dungeon shortcuts, to reduce backtracking

- Further tweaks to the final dungeon entrance

- An alternate means of traversing a certain section of the final dungeon which had confused some players

- If you get to a late-game area which requires the thunder spell, but do not have full magic, a special magic container appears which can increase your meter to the maximum.

- A "Hero's charm" item can be purchased in the final dungeon which reveals the hit points of the final boss as well as increasing Zelda's arrow speed. The best boomerang can also be purchased here if the player missed it previously, because it may be needed for a certain puzzle if the player also did not find the level 2 superbombs.

If anyone wishes to reuse the original scripts from Panoply of Calatia for a new project, you are still welcome to do so. However, version 1.65 uses some files not found int he support pack, which can be found in this zip file.

EDIT 1: Panoply of Calatia Version 1.64 is now on the quest database. This features small tweaks and improvements from versions 1.6 through 1.63. Changes include:

- Small improvements various dungeons (mostly shortcuts to reduce potential backtracking/retreading)
- Two puzzles new involving the L-2 hookshot
- Certain spots where the hookshot could get you stuck have been fixed
- Tweaked the endgame shop areas slightly
- Tweaked the wording of certain hints to make more sense, and added more telepathy tile hints
- Upgraded a previously-unknown bug into a feature. You can raft onto a certain coast and bypass an important part of the late game; I've added some scripted events that will remark on the player doing this, and slightly tweak/enhance the experience of trying to skip ahead that way. For specifics:

Spoiler

The 1.64 update is compatible with old save files, as long as you put the replace the old version of the quest with the new one (though you can keep a backup of the old one if you wish). However, please make sure you have all the music files from the 1.6 Support Pack in your Zelda Classic program folder when updating.

(Version update information ends here; the rest is a reply to ShadowTiger)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm glad to hear the updates were an improvement! Rather than totally redesigning the game or making changes too drastic, a lot of them are meant to be little balance/coherency improvements, based on things I noticed going wrong in LPs (particularly MeleeWizard's, Eppy's,  WillPlayIt/Old Skool's, and LowBiasGaming/Kewlio's, though I also watched some others and have tried to keep up with mixed results- SCKnuckles started on it but I'm not sure if he was still thinking of completing it since he's left youtube temporarily, and I was terrible about keeping up with the updates on that one. New Journey's Fire has also been playing it recently, but more gradually over time, and that is ongoing). Basically I kept noticing flaws in hindsight and I couldn't stand to leave it as it was. Plus I thought of extra little puzzles that would help teach the item usage better, so that the player is less likely to forget things like the uses for the ladder and the beetle.

If you're looking for ZC 2.50.2, it's still on ZeldaClassic.com's downloads page. They also have an archive of older versions, should the need ever arise for 1.92 and whatnot.

I'm not sure exactly in what way you're aiming to advertise it to people (obviously it's not for profit so I assume you mean telling people person to person), but hopefully people will like it and no one will want to blow up ZC or anything XD Then again, I think there's slowly been more movement towards the open source version of ZC anyway so hopefully ZC will live on for years to come (it's crazy to think it's been almost 20).

If ZC gets fully settled into a new version at some point moving forward, I might make a compatibility update if the need arises, but that would probably just be to fix new version bugs that may arise.

As for future projects... I made very little progress this year. Too distracted with a housing crisis-turned-cross-country-move-turned-more-stable-housing-situation-than-my-adult-life-has-had-at-least-for-the-time-being, and with other things I wanted to work on when I was feeling creative. My main project I'm hoping to get off the ground is a webcomic (I want to have a buffer before I post any of it, and figure out my production rate in the process), which won't have really anything to do with this project (and probably won't attract the same sorts of fans due to the content of what I'm writing), but I do hope to return to ZC a little further down the road, following up on some of the project ideas I've mentioned before. We'll see. Just remember my avatar is a hiding turtle for a reason...

Edited by Mitsukara, 21 December 2018 - 02:00 AM.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#411 OkamiTakahashi

OkamiTakahashi

Heartbroken Hero

• Members

Posted 20 December 2018 - 12:37 AM

Ooh, more tweaks. Always welcome.

I get what ShadowTiger meant by advertising. I do the same- I find every opportunity I can to mention this quest to someone; mostly in the form of quick plugs in headcanon posts on Zelda Universe. I even told my theorist friend on there; she's helping me develop my take on the timeline; naturally I had to include this magnificent quest and a few other things; she's helping me piece them all together. At this point I'm just repeating myself though, spouting the same old praises for this expertly crafted adventure.

Welp, back to the old grind. Thanks for the early (late?) birthday present, Mitsukara! Good luck with all that adulting and the webcomic project.

#412 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:25 AM

Version 1.66 has been uploaded to the quest database (and should be up within a day or so- until then, it's marked as hidden due to a critical bug). This version is identical to version 1.65, except that:

- Fixed a critical error from 1.65 regarding the entrance warps outside a certain late-game palace, specifically

Spoiler

Although this was technically not gamebreaking in 1.65, it did result in sending the player to a room near the end of the palace instead of one of the caves on the way to the entrance, as well as in another cave leading to an empty empty "guy cave" room. Oops.

- An upper layer platform in Marui has also been recolored to gray to improve visibility against the lower layer.

Thanks to Moosh for discovering this issue for me! And my apologies to anyone else who encountered the bug.

As always, this update is compatible with old save files- just replace your old "Link and Zelda - Panoply of Calatia.qst" with the new one.

Edited by Mitsukara, 19 March 2019 - 03:42 AM.

• Deedee, Lüt and Epsalon ZX like this

#413 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:19 AM

So apparently the newer version has some changes to the dungeons? I am stuck in Maze Palace, in the room to the left of where you get the Aquamentus Staff. There's a bomb shooter and a bunch of water tiles in the way now. I looked up playthroughs on Youtube but the room doesn't have that in the way in those playthroughs.

#414 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:34 AM

Can't you use the water mail to get past the water?

#415 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:42 AM

Nope, due to the Water Boots I can only walk on top of it.

#416 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:01 PM

Oh, is it topdown? Could you share a screenshot? (have yet to see this room)

Edited by Dimentio, 27 March 2019 - 12:01 PM.

#417 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:20 AM

This is still for ZC 2.50.2 right? I downloaded that specific version but am noticing a good amount of bugs throughout.

It looks like the Water Mail randomly doesn't let you through water without removing and putting it back on. Not sure what causes it. I haven't gotten back to that room yet but I imagine that was the problem.

• Mitsukara likes this

#418 Regios

Regios

Mischievous hellion

• Members

Posted 14 April 2019 - 04:45 PM

Okay. After much procrastination and some false starts, I have managed to complete this quest from start to finish. I have to say, this is the absolute gold standard in Zelda Classic quests for me. The enormous amount of content it has to offer must not have come easily, that's for sure.

There's one thing I am missing, however. One very small detail at the very end. Since I have cleared the quest, I'm fine with being spoiled about it.

Spoiler

• Mitsukara likes this

#419 Kapow

Kapow

Former Newbie

• Members

Posted 09 June 2019 - 05:19 PM

Updated the map for v1.66!

Finally got around to this. I did a thorough replay and even wrote some scripts to extract/compare the ZC quest data, so there shouldn't be anything I missed.

I left out the flashing magic container, since if you're getting all the items you shouldn't see it anyway and people might think they're missing something. I also expanded on a certain late-game area, and the changeable map elements (screen secrets, etc.) are now shown transparently.

I also found a few new bugs:

Bug Report

Edited by Kapow, 09 June 2019 - 10:15 PM.

• Mitsukara likes this

#420 OkamiTakahashi

OkamiTakahashi

Heartbroken Hero

• Members

Posted 28 July 2019 - 03:47 PM

I only just got back around to replaying this quest, and forgotten what changes were made in previous patches- it caught me completely by surprise. I figured I'd replay this quest again to help me with my headcanon timeline stuff. I might have to shuffle this back a couple more years since there's things I want to squeeze in between this and Zelda II, but I digress. Always a joy to play this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users