Pokemon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#31 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:45 PM

Old pokemon flooding Unova I only had a problem with in Black/White 2 because perhaps the biggest selling point of Unova was that there was all new pokemon. It wasn't fully devoid of old pokemon in BW1, but you could only use the new pokemon until you get to the postgame; where you can get all the old ones. BW 2 went back on that completely.

Yeah, but that's exactly WHY they added the old Pokemon in, because so many people complained about being forced to use Gen 5 Pokemon, exclusively.

The story sucks compared to BW1 because it is so shallow in comparison. It does not explore any sort of deep meaning to pokemon like what the first game did; it was just like any other pokemon game of "stop the bad guys because they are doing bad". Taking another of the first game's strong points and throwing it out completely to make it more like a generic pokemon game.

B/W 1's story wasn't really that good. Team Plasma were nothing but thinly veiled PeTA surrogates, and the basic story still boiled down to "stop the bad guys, because they're bad". Even the reveal of Ghestis as a bad guy who didn't care about Pokemon was so obvious from the start of the game that it's absurd, and his motivation is no different Giovanni or Cyrus. X and Y had a much better story, at least Lysandre had a decent motivation beyond "I want to conquer the world"

I enjoyed BW1 because it took the game in a different direction to what Pokemon normally does and the story was actually interesting for once. BW2 took everything BW1 did right and was sold on and threw it out of the window to make it like a generic game and then made most of what BW1 did wrong even worse. Maybe the thing I did wrong was expecting any more than a "enhanced" third version dressed as a sequel. Idk

Again, B/W's story kinda sucked, if you really think about it, and was no different than any other game (bad guys want to take over the world with legendary pokemon), and the lack of older Pokemon was a major point of criticism for the game. You're entitled to your opinion, but the fact is that your complaints about B/W2 are all things that were changed because people HATED those aspects of B/W1. PokeStar Studios and the PWT were massively popular side-content, and giving people the opportunity to catch older gen monsters from the start brought back older players who had stopped playing, and the connected content between the two games was actually really cool, and let you actually see how things have changed in the three intervening years.

EDIT: In fact, with the sheer amount of content being used to connect the two sets of games, the multiple factions of Team Plasma, the number of connections between the various NPCs and the B/W protagonists, I'd even argue that B/W2 were BETTER sequels than G/S/C (the only other direct sequels in the series). Sure, G/S/C allowed you to explore Kanto, again (albeit massively stripped down), but really, you don't have any connection to R/B/Y except for the battles with Red and Blue/Green and Giovanni being in hiding.

Edited by Binx, 11 June 2017 - 06:57 PM.

• Adem, The Satellite, Shane and 1 other like this

#32 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:21 PM

BW 1 only having Gen 5 mons felt like a poor attempt of trying to capture the same feeling of the Gen 1 games and given the complaints the games got for it, i can say it was a failure. I liked it at first because i always try to use the new mons, but it kills replayability when i can only pick mons  from a single gen. Explains why XY was flooded with mons from every generation and they actually explain why.

Also, as far i can tell it made no sense. Why is 80% of Unova covered with Gen 5 mons only, but then like 20% is flooded with mons from other gens? I honestly never got this.

Last, what is Ghetsis's motivation? I don't ever remember him saying why he wants to conquer Unova. As far as i can tell, he just wants to do it for the sake of it.

Edited by Norzan, 11 June 2017 - 07:27 PM.

• Ammako likes this

#33 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:26 PM

BW 1 only having Gen 5 mons felt like a poor attempt of trying to capture the same feeling of the Gen 1 games and given the complaints the games got for it, i can say it was a failure. I liked it at first because i always try to use the new mons, but it kills replayability when i can only pick mons  from a single gen. Explains why XY was flooded with mons from every generation and they actually explain why.

Also, as far i can tell it made no sense. Why is 80% of Unova covered with Gen 5 mons only, but then like 20% is flooded with mons from other gens? I honestly never got this.

Eh, that's pretty common, actually. Non-Kanto Pokemon are only available around the Sevii Islands in FR/LG, for example.

#34 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:31 PM

Eh, that's pretty common, actually. Non-Kanto Pokemon are only available around the Sevii Islands in FR/LG, for example.

At least those are islands and people could have brought them there. Why are mons from every gen besides 5 concentrated in the same exact location? Why aren't they spreading out too? Those pokemon can easily fly off or just walk to get to the rest of the region, but for some reason they don't.

#35 Ammako

Ammako

Initiate

• Members

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:46 PM

Because the main games have been always on handheld and a big chunk of the people who own a 3DS don't own a Switch? Putting it only on the Switch would force people to buy a 300 bucks system just to be able to play it. Also, it's a third version or sequel, why would it be in a completely different console?

That's a big part of it imo. Sun/Moon did -incredibly- well compared to every game before, they can easily capitalize on that hype by releasing more on 3DS since the people who liked S/M already own a 3DS.
"Hey I loved S/M and they're releasing new ones [and I already have a 3DS to play them]" vs. "I loved S/M but I don't have a Switch", safe to assume they can get way more sales on it by releasing it on 3DS. That and this lets them make a low effort sequel for quick profit; a Switch port would require way more dev time.

Good story? I don't see that anywhere in BW2

Eh kinda agree on that. At least compared to BW.
Maybe the story of BW wasn't much to write home about either, but reaching Route 10 really hit me in the feels at the time. It's the dialogue you're having there with your rivals and the music that sets the mood perfectly.
That and as much as people might say N is stereotypical edgy anime protagonist I liked him a lot and I think he added a lot to the game.

Really excited to play Gold/Silver on 3DS as I never got to try that generation. Dunno why they're waiting on Crystal though, seems pointless unless they're delaying it as a sales tactic thinking people might skip past Gold and Silver to Crystal unless Crystal has a delayed release. Seems kinda silly to me considering how old these games are and that there's very little reason to play them for any reason besides nostalgia. Sure it can be a resource to your gen 7 collection, but a fairly small one.

It's -possible- that they could be working on a new version of the GBC VC that can emulate the Mobile System over Wi-Fi. An unlikely idea, but to me that would explain why they'd delay Crystal instead of releasing it alongside the others.
Would be really cool being able to trade online with other people in the Gen. II game itself :P they could even have special distributions for codes that give you the GS Ball.
Granted this was only present in the Japanese version of the game... not sure if they'd put the effort in to reimplement PCC and Mobile System in the localized releases.

Edited by Ammako, 18 June 2017 - 11:46 PM.

• Cukeman likes this

#36 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:02 PM

Well this actually sounds incredibly interesting.

• Jared likes this

#37 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:39 PM

A moustache-twirling villain. Quite literally.

It's certainly time for a baddie team that's not as pathetic as Team Skull. Let me know if the game's worth the money. I'm still afraid of the same game + a little more uber/ultra world and a few more 'mon variations.

Tbh I want to go through Moon again- I've only done it once. The only thing preventing me (since I have PokeBank) is losing items. I'm not interested in getting more items, I'd be fine with a new file option that didn't repopulate any of the items, I just don't want to lose any.

Also, I don't understand a game that doesn't have enough room in the PC to hold one of each Pokemon- except to make more demand for PokeBank. (there may be room for "all 802", but when you include sex, color, and alternate forms that number is much, much higher than 802 )

EDIT: Also, Serebii says this:

"This game also breaks all precedent by introducing brand new Pokémon"

Is that some kind of joke???

Edited by Cukeman, 05 October 2017 - 05:43 PM.

#38 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:34 PM

That means it's the first generation to introduce new pokemon in between games of the same generation. Previously, at best you had new forms in between games of the same generation like Kyurem Black and Kyurem White in BW2.

Although, if you count Mega Evolutions as actual new pokemon, then ORAS did it first.

I do like that they are doing more than what a third version does but eh, i found Sun to be somewhat disappointing. Between all the stuff i liked in Gen 6 just being removed and half of the mega stones missing at release, this just soured this generation to me.

Edited by Norzan, 05 October 2017 - 06:44 PM.

#39 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:26 PM

I have mixed feelings.

I really and truly loved Sun and Moon but the Ultra Beast thing didn't do much for me. I tried really hard to like them, but the concept bothered me a lot. Perhaps it was a linguistic issue? The fact they're referred to as "Beasts" instead of Pokémon (and the fact they can't be captured in regular Pokéballs) makes them feel like they're not...well, Pokémon. :shrug:

Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to play the games. I'm a sucker, and I'm intrigued to see what they will do with these new villains in this new area, etc. But it's just not really a selling point for me.

That means it's the first generation to introduce new pokemon in between games of the same generation. Previously, at best you had new forms in between games of the same generation like Kyurem Black and Kyurem White in BW2.

Although, if you count Mega Evolutions as actual new pokemon, then ORAS did it first.

I do like that they are doing more than what a third version does but eh, i found Sun to be somewhat disappointing. Between all the stuff i liked in Gen 6 just being removed and half of the mega stones missing at release, this just soured this generation to me.

Although they weren't obtainable, Munchlax and Bonsly (Gen IV) were both featured in Pokémon XD (Gen III). But I suppose that doesn't count because you couldn't actually catch them. :P

• Cukeman likes this

#40 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:12 PM

I think I've said this before, but I feel like Pokemon games are coming out too fast. I know this is a side effect of getting older, but Sun/ Moon have only been out since November 18, 2016. The next games are coming out November 17, 2017. That's a day shy of one year. Now, if I was a hardcore Pokemon fan, that would be awesome. But I'm a casual at best these days, and it's just too fast, imo. But, after doing some Googling, I can see that the games have always come out pretty quick, save for the gap between RB, and Y being close to three years, RS, and Emerald, which was still only a little less than two years. The time during Gen 4 was also a bit long and X/Y to S/M was long, but other than that, they crank these things out.

I guess, when I was 11, and played Crystal for the first time, it felt like ages when I was finally 13 and saw Ruby and Sapphire. Two more years is an eternity in high school, and I was hyped for Diamond/ Pearl after being substantially let down by gen 3. Better graphics be damned, even as a kid, I knew Gen 2 was better. But as an adult, the games come out too quickly for me to really be able to get a handle on them for lack of a better term. I miss those endless summers, when It was just me, and Crystal/ Gold, and my GBA at my uncle's restaurant in California. :nostalgic:

Initial release dates:
Red/ Blue: February 27, 1996
Yellow: September 12, 1998
Gold Silver: November 21, 1999
Crystal: July 30, 2001
Ruby/ Sapphire: November 21, 2002
Emerald: September 16, 2004
Diamond/ Pearl: September 28, 2006
Platinum: September 13, 2008
Black/ White: September 18, 2010
Back 2/ White 2: June 23, 2012
X/ Y (most creative yet, where's Z?): October 12, 2013
Sun/ Moon: November 18, 2016

There's really no point to this, I guess I'm just saiyan is all. :P

EDIT: Food for thought: Once Pokemon makes the move to Switch/ Consoles, dedicated gaming handhelds are dead in the water. :D

• Adem and Jared like this

#41 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:29 AM

EDIT: Food for thought: Once Pokemon makes the move to Switch/ Consoles, dedicated gaming handhelds are dead in the water. :D

I can't help wondering if high-res screens are going to become the most expensive part of the system. I wouldn't say no to a low-res Switch if the price was right.

#42 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:05 AM

I can't help wondering if high-res screens are going to become the most expensive part of the system. I wouldn't say no to a low-res Switch if the price was right.

That's a good point. If you think about it, the average high-end smart phone is like $600+, and they have 1080 (or higher) displays, and awesome cameras. The switch can do 1080, but it's pushing its hardware to the limit at only 300 dollars. I have never minded seeing pixels, and I can agree that a lower res system would be nice if it isn't cold-blood murdering my wallet.

• Cukeman likes this

#43 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:39 AM

Galaxy Note 5 is just about $250, and has a higher resolution than your average laptop (2560x1440).  I'm calling bullshit on that pricing about the screens, if that's Nintendo's excuse, lol.

#44 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:51 AM

I don't know specifics about todays screens, but I was mostly trying to look ahead to future systems and 4K and whatnot.

#45 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:45 AM

There's another trailer too.

So, uh... needless to say, my hype cannot be contained. It has become a force of nature.

The fact they're referred to as "Beasts" instead of Pokémon (and the fact they can't be captured in regular Pokéballs) makes them feel like they're not...well, Pokémon. :shrug:

Conversely, that's what I liked about them. They were new and strange, which is what Pokemon really needed after two decades of being the same. :P

Initial release dates:
Red/ Blue: February 27, 1996
Yellow: September 12, 1998
Gold Silver: November 21, 1999
Crystal: July 30, 2001
Ruby/ Sapphire: November 21, 2002
Emerald: September 16, 2004
Diamond/ Pearl: September 28, 2006
Platinum: September 13, 2008
Black/ White: September 18, 2010
Back 2/ White 2: June 23, 2012
X/ Y (most creative yet, where's Z?): October 12, 2013
Sun/ Moon: November 18, 2016

For what it's worth, FireRed/LeefGreen came out between R/S and Emerald, and HeartGold/SoulSilver came out between Platinum and B/W, and ORAS came out right after X/Y, so there were quite a few stretches where there was a new game a year. It's not like this is a brand new thing.
  • Anthus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users