Photo

Screenshot of the Week 212

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

Poll: SotW 212! (59 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favorite screen!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:42 PM

It was tought to pick between LiH and Russ. In the end, I voted LostInHyru1e.

LostInHyru1e:
Very nicely done. The design and detail are very well done, and is overall an enjpoyable shot. Nothing to complain about. *Vote*

Pheonix:
I'm sorry, but the colours just threw me off. I think it's because of how the colours don't blend well.

Russ:
A good shot, but it just feels a little empty, and as though nothing is happening. It was a close call though, because the design overall was nice, and I liked the lay out. A bit more here an there would be benificial IMO.

Edited by blaman, 26 May 2008 - 05:43 PM.

#17 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE(blaman @ May 26 2008, 03:42 PM) View Post

It was tought to pick between LiH and Russ. In the end, I voted LostInHyru1e.

If it was a tough choice, I reached my goal. I remember when I was helping out a brand new member at AGN called LostInHyru1e. now he's better than I can even hope to be. I can't help but do this:
LiH: So, Russ, we meet again in SotW. When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master.
Russ: A master only of Gameboy shots Lost!

#18 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:42 PM

icon_razz.gif

Don't be down on yourself! The more you're down on yourself, the worse you're going to do! Be supportive of yourself and keep improving. Just because my shot this week is winning does not make you an inferior user of ZQuest, and if you keep saying that, I'm going to slap you. icon_wink.gif Be confident in your own abilities and keep improving.

*Glances at votes*

Holy crap, I've got a lot more votes than I thought I would get. I expected a very close match for all three of us.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention: That's hysterical. icon_smile.gif (The star wars references)

Edited by LostInHyru1e, 26 May 2008 - 10:42 PM.

#19 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:13 AM

Hey, I'm just glad I'm getting close to being as good as you are.

As for the Star Wars reference, I just couldn't resist throwing it in.

#20 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:21 PM

Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix Pheonix

Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot Freakin' awesome classic shot

... sorry.

As for the other two: Great job. Russ, like the ground detail, buddy. icon_wink.gif

#21 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:30 PM

Thanks. I can't believe I have 11 votes! At AGN, LiH's screenshot's killing mine. His votes are equal to the square of my votes. icon_biggrin.gif

#22 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:38 PM

Voted for LiH!

LostInHyru1e: I absolutely love that. Nice palette, good design, wonderful flow of things. That screen is simply singing...

Pheonix: An interesting Classic screen. I somewhat like it, altough it seems either too bright, either like a screen with white outlines. I'd definitely play a quest like that, at least a few screens, if not more. Hmmm... looking at it again it might just be that the mountains are too bright...

Russ: Not like. I feel it empty, even though all screen parts have something and the concept is good. I feel that desert palette isn't for this screen. I hear a "You wouldn't have done better." sound in my head. I don't really know...

EDIT: Pheonix just inspired me to make some Classic area in BB.

Edited by CastChaos, 27 May 2008 - 04:39 PM.

#23 KaBoom

KaBoom

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:03 PM

You know, LiH, in the past few SotW's, people have been complaining about how your mountain heights don't make sense.

But I think you're really making that work in your favor. They still don't in this screen, but I think that's part of the ingenious artistic engineering.

Keep it up with the mountain inconsistencies!! (I bet it's been deliberate all along)

#24 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

• Members

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:07 PM

They're not inconsistent, I just have little outcroppings and cliffs. It works out, I think, and I don't think there's any "Errors", per-say, in that screen.

#25 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:11 PM

Failure to use the easiest of mountains isn't appealing...

The misuse has gone down to very minor errors, but I've only seen one or two GB mountain screens where they've been completely used right. I hate tile errors, and since GB are my favorite mountains I hate to see the elevations always messed up.

EDIT: Just saw LiH's post, yes there's one very small error. I'll show you a fix in a minute.

Edited by Plissken, 29 May 2008 - 11:12 PM.

#26 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

• Members

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:18 PM

Are you talking about how I forgot to make the mountains sink into the water?

EDIT: Oh, or do you mean the mountains in the top right corner? That one out-cropping goes a little too high, doesn't it?

Edited by LostInHyru1e, 29 May 2008 - 11:19 PM.

#27 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:24 PM

IPB Image

Top left, you made that mountain side to long downward, but other than that the shot's design and everything else was fantastic. I love GB, and you seem to pull it off wonderfully, although you had that one mountain error this time I voted for you. (Yes, contradictory to what I've said in the past, but I really really liked the rest of the shot. icon_razz.gif)

#28 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:27 AM

I don't see anything wrong with it. Besides, I don't care if I shot has minor mountain errors. It's still a great shot.

#29 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:29 AM

It took me almost a minute, but I finally see the difference between the shots and now I get it. Thanks for taking the time to re-do the screen like that. icon_smile.gif I'm glad you voted for it anyway.

#30 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:01 AM

LostInHyru1e:

Excellent screen design, but I wish something were going on here. Even just having Link bomb that wall might be interesting. We get tons of shots of Link just standing around.

Phoenix:

There's a whole lotta shaken goin' on in this screen, but it seems "squished." Also, I can't say I'm fond of blank white mountains and bushes, but if you wanna be picky you could blame that on the tileset.

Russ:

It's hard to describe in words, but I don't quite like how those "sand ridges" are used. Something about the height of the rock not matching the height of the sand. Try not to overuse them. Also, even though the stream is drying up, try not to make it quite that narrow. It looks weird and also has weird walk flags, if Link can get down there. And if it's drying up, why are the fish jumping?... That's usually a sign of a lively body of water. And lastly, Link's just sitting there. We need something happening.

Otherwise, good use of greenery, bridge elements, and mountains. icon_smile.gif

I voted for LostInHyru1e. It may not be the most exciting shot, but it does the trick, and I'm sure it works well in the actual quest.

P.S.

I agree with Plissken. I couldn't even notice the error he pointed out, but he's right. Fortunately, it's very easily fixed. That's the major advantage of simple, old-fashioned GB mountains.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users