Photo

Edges of Bread and End Slices of Loaves

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Edges of Bread and End Slices of Loaves

Do you eat the edges of bread?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Do you eat the end slices of loafs of bread?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:20 PM

Come on guys, most of you live in the US. Bread in the US is basically sponges. How could that even possibly be hard. If there's one thing that Europe is better at than the US it has gotta be making bread. You know with an actual crust. And of course you eat the ends, too.

I am baffled.

Edited by Sheik, 15 June 2017 - 03:49 AM.

#17 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:30 PM

Come guys, most of you live in the US. Bread in the US is basically sponges. How could that even possibly be hard. If there's one thing that Europe is better at than the US it has gotta be making bread. You know with an actual crust. And of course you eat the ends, too.

I am baffled.

Mainstream bread yeah. Our store carries some fantastic local breads, my favorite is a round rosemary/olive oil loaf  :drool: <3

Edited by Cukeman, 14 June 2017 - 06:31 PM.

#18 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:38 PM

Hey now, I eat the crust on hard breads too.

Esp the hard beer breads you dip in soup.

#19 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:47 PM

Crust is fine, the end slices are fine. Protip, if you don't like the crusty endpieces, put your meats or peanut butter on the crusty side, and keep the soft sides on the outside of the sammich. It becomes much less noticeable.

Come guys, most of you live in the US. Bread in the US is basically sponges. How could that even possibly be hard. If there's one thing that Europe is better at than the US it has gotta be making bread. You know with an actual crust. And of course you eat the ends, too.

I am baffled.

Somehow I feel like the only bread you've ever had from the U.S. is Wonder bread. Most U.S. breads aren't like that. We have plenty of good breads, here that aren't at all spongy.

#20 CyberGamer1539

CyberGamer1539

Lord of Cyberspace

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:48 PM

I have nothing against the crust of the bread, and I can't see why some people don't eat it. The ends are a different story. I'll eat them if and only if it is the only part remaining, but other than that I tend to avoid them. They just aren't as soft as the other parts, and I don't like hard bread all that much.

Either way, bread is bread and I will eat all of it unless it's stale or moldy.

#21 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:23 PM

I see what Sheik is saying, but as someone mentioned, you're referring to "mainstream bread" (lol). There's tons of places that offer "real" fresh baked bread, and it's really not that much more expensive.

#22 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:32 PM

SkyLizardGirl Love Sour-dough and Hot spicy breads.* Spicy bread and Tons of herbs is what makes the Ultimate Homemade Pizza dough good.

• Matthew likes this

#23 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:18 AM

Come on guys, most of you live in the US. Bread in the US is basically sponges. How could that even possibly be hard. If there's one thing that Europe is better at than the US it has gotta be making bread. You know with an actual crust. And of course you eat the ends, too.

I am baffled.

It depends on the bread.  A question like the OP's would only be able to be asked if it were a global attribute of all bread.  If some bread's crust was horrible and some bread's crust is utterly delicious, then how can anyone properly vote in the poll or answer the question at face value?

So the next step is to wonder what kind of bread people are eating on average.  I see a lot of white bread being used as a cheap way to just have bread at all, and in my own household, we eat a lot of Challah due to perfectly innocent goatless socio-religious rituals that do not involve slaughter or sacrifice in any way.  The quality of the bread depends on the dryness and flavor of the crust.  Some crust ends up being burned and browned, and it's rather nasty, and I'm more than happy to discard it and throw it on the lawn.  Some crust is moist, eggy, flavorful, and just scrumptious.  It's a joy to eat.  And that's from the same "category" of Challah bread!  It all depends on how it was made.

There's this Stop & Shop (Large chain grocery store) near us that has in their deli area these semi-premade large sandwiches with Ciobatta bread and assorted delicious ingredients internally.   The crust is as much a part of the bread as the internals of the bread are, so there's really no reason not to eat it.  It's a similar taste, with a gritty but rugged texture that feels like an accomplishment to eat, and all without a nasty burnt flavor.

So, ... ... if the same question as the OP's were to be asked again, I'm sure it would need a lot of clarification and terms to it.

• Anthus likes this

#24 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:18 AM

I am baffled.

I know exactly what you mean there.  This is probably why I never liked our typical sandwich breads.  I prefer quality loaves of breads that aren't typically used in sandwiches, and sub rolls, which have a different sort of crust to them.  My dad used to say I was spoiled as a kid because I didn't like to eat sandwiches like everybody else.  And peanut butter and jelly still to this day makes me gag.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#25 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:29 AM

We eat whole grain bread at my house which, surprisingly enough, is very grainy at the edges and ends of the bread loaf. It may be immature but I don't eat the bread crust or ends of the bread for that reason :P

• Cukeman likes this

#26 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:54 AM

We eat whole grain bread at my house which, surprisingly enough, is very grainy at the edges and ends of the bread loaf. It may be immature but I don't eat the bread crust or ends of the bread for that reason :P

Oh, yeah, I do not mess with any type of bread that has seeds or grains on the outside. It can be whole grain, and healthy without rolling the dough through bird food. :P
  • Cukeman and Matthew like this

#27 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:09 PM

It depends on the bread.  A question like the OP's would only be able to be asked if it were a global attribute of all bread.  If some bread's crust was horrible and some bread's crust is utterly delicious, then how can anyone properly vote in the poll or answer the question at face value?

So the next step is to wonder what kind of bread people are eating on average.  I see a lot of white bread being used as a cheap way to just have bread at all, and in my own household, we eat a lot of Challah due to perfectly innocent goatless socio-religious rituals that do not involve slaughter or sacrifice in any way.  The quality of the bread depends on the dryness and flavor of the crust.  Some crust ends up being burned and browned, and it's rather nasty, and I'm more than happy to discard it and throw it on the lawn.  Some crust is moist, eggy, flavorful, and just scrumptious.  It's a joy to eat.  And that's from the same "category" of Challah bread!  It all depends on how it was made.

There's this Stop & Shop (Large chain grocery store) near us that has in their deli area these semi-premade large sandwiches with Ciobatta bread and assorted delicious ingredients internally.   The crust is as much a part of the bread as the internals of the bread are, so there's really no reason not to eat it.  It's a similar taste, with a gritty but rugged texture that feels like an accomplishment to eat, and all without a nasty burnt flavor.

So, ... ... if the same question as the OP's were to be asked again, I'm sure it would need a lot of clarification and terms to it.

Challah is delicious. Especially dipped in a little bit of salt.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#28 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:31 PM

Challah is delicious. Especially dipped in a little bit of salt.

Try These.  The Garlic 'n Herb was so good, we go through two of those a week.  It's almost the new mayonnaise replacement in our household.

• Binx likes this

#29 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:18 AM

Oh, yeah, I do not mess with any type of bread that has seeds or grains on the outside. It can be whole grain, and healthy without rolling the dough through bird food. :P

Same. Grind that **** into flour! I also don't like nuts in bread. Bread isn't supposed to be interrupted with crunchy bits.

#30 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:59 AM

Edges used to get cut a long time ago when we used certain white breads. The contrast between the soft inner bread and the crusty edges was way too much of a texture clash, so the edges had to go. However, I've long since switched to proper brown breads where the texture of the bread and the edges is far more consistent, so it's been about 15+ years since I've ever pulled an edge off a slice of bread.

Ends are another issue. I keep them because I tell myself they're good and they shouldn't go to waste. But soon enough, I have a pile of 6 bread bags in my fridge with the end pieces gradually growing moldy. I really should learn to just throw them away from the start, but I feel a need to hang on to anything potentially useful until it's finally gone bad. Because, if they're actual thick pieces, as in the thickness of a regular slice of bread and not thin scraps, they can act as good replacements for burger buns, seeing how it's been so many years since I've ever bought those due to price concerns. Only ever as a last resort though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users