What do you think

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Silver

Silver

If only scripting were that easy...

• Members

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:07 PM

The Olympics are supposed to bring the world together, if only for a moment-putting aside feuds, wars, and politics in a series of sporting events anyone around the world can enjoy.
So, what is your opinion on this year's Olympics, or the idea of the Olympics in general?

#2 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 09 August 2008 - 02:28 PM

My take on it? It's a crock, full of the same primitive chimp politics as everything else we humans seem to do. The fact they espouse this "togetherness" philosophy while choosing CHINA, of all places, proves that.

#3 Lune

Lune

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:08 PM

My take on it? It's a crock, full of the same primitive chimp politics as everything else we humans seem to do. The fact they espouse this "togetherness" philosophy while choosing CHINA, of all places, proves that.

I do think that the "togetherness" for just a couple weeks then back to normal is kind of strange, but this is for the people of different countries, not for their governments. Although politics is very much involved. For instance, the US teams' flag bearer was from Sudan and was a refugee. This is like a statement against the government of China, because they support the conflict in Darfur.

My point is that you can't say that about one billion people. No two are the same.

And maybe this can go in the Debate forum?

#4 Red Phazon

Red Phazon

Adept

• Members

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:21 PM

All I want to say, is that I watched the opening last night and I was impressed, seeing how they built that stadium specifically for the show. They are trying very hard to be the best and to become (the?) world power.

#5 Silver

Silver

• Members

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:27 PM

Puzidman:I didn't intend this to go in the debate forum-I was just curious about what people thought.

Red Phazon: What makes you say this?
They are trying very hard to be the best and to become (the?) world power.

#6 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:30 PM

I watch the Olympics to enjoy the games, many of which are sports I never get to watch outside of it. It's a time to forget about world politics and show appreciation for the talents of many athletes. It is them that the Olympics are supposed to be about. And on a last note, go USA!

#7 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE(Eurysilas @ Aug 10 2008, 04:58 AM) View Post

I agree. If anything, it's a complete waste of time and it's ruined my television schedule for the next fortnight. icon_mad.gif

#8 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE(Eurysilas @ Aug 9 2008, 02:28 PM) View Post

You're a pessimistic retard if you really think like that. CHINA, if you actually talk to someone who lives there (Just a couple of weeks ago I had a person from there living with me), is nothing like what the media and protesters like to paint it. Sure it's bad, but it's no better over here, or nearly anywhere else for that matter. CHINA, is not evil. They just do things differently. Sorry, but that comment is incredibly near sighted and arrogant. It annoys the hell out of me that this is one of the most common opinions I'm hearing amongst people.

Also, there is nothing wrong with people getting together to play some games. It's a peaceful gathering of the worlds best athletes who have all trained to the max in their fields, and at the Olympics they have a chance to display them. It's not primitive chimp politics. Calling it that is an insult to those athletes who have dedicated their lives to a particular sport. They sure as hell are doing something much cooler than you or me sitting, rotting in front of a computer.

Watch the opening ceremony. It was beautiful, and amazing.

Sure, my post has flaming remarks, but the points I made still stand, and in truth, I think Eurysilas's post was far more offensive. icon_razz.gif

#9 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:51 PM

Lemon you are correct. Your post does contain flaming remarks. As well as disrespect of staff. This is something I'm not going to stand for. If you have a problem with my views, express yourself politely or leave. I admit my post was harsh, but you have stepped over the line with yours. Kindly desist.

#10 Silver

Silver

• Members

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:01 PM

I'm going to step in on this too, even though I have almost no authority to do so.
This isn't intended to become a topic in which everyone yells at each other, disagreeing and flaming each other with every post.
Keep it clean is what I'm saying.
And this is intended for everyone who will post on this topic-either post with some civility or don't post at all.
Just relax-I don't want any enemies made here.

#11 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:16 PM

If you'll check the rules Platinum, you'll see that acting like a mod when you are not one (rent-a-modding) is also a violation. Don't worry, we know how to do our jobs, we just aren't always here 24/7 to deal with it. It's not a major issue and I see your intent was to help, but ... please don't do it again.

As far as China is concerned, the media is not far off from the reality. There are the few areas where China is experimenting with a limited capitalism society, but even there they've got cameras and things set up on every block in every city. It's even more Orwellian a society over there than it is here (though not by much). Yes, there are cultural differences and a lot of similarities. Yes, the media exaggerates things somewhat. But not as much as you let on, Lemon.

As far as the Olympics go, choosing to hold them in China doesn't bother me. The Olympics are about worldwide, friendly athetic competition. Last I checked, China was part of the world too. They've worked hard enough and become a major power, so much that they deserve to host it for once. And because if we didn't let them host it, their government would likely take offense.

#12 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:47 PM

Bah. The opening ceremony was beautiful. China used to be a world superpower, and now they are rising to the stage again. Just because a country has struggles, and does things differently does not mean that it can not be respected, and allowed to participate in a peaceful event. If Nazi Germany could host the 1936 Olympics in peace, why can't China?

The way I see it is that every country at some point HAS to cross over a boundary that marks the change from industrial (but not well off) to industrial (modernized). Basically, there is nothing that we can do to change China, other then let it run it's own course and figure itself out.

There are far worse countries that could have hosted the Olympics, and after all, what better way to get people to notice the peace and see the Olympics then going directly to 1/5th of the world's population.

#13 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE(Eurysilas @ Aug 10 2008, 01:51 PM) View Post

Lemon you are correct. Your post does contain flaming remarks. As well as disrespect of staff. This is something I'm not going to stand for. If you have a problem with my views, express yourself politely or leave. I admit my post was harsh, but you have stepped over the line with yours. Kindly desist.

I don't care that you're staff. You're just a person, and no different than anyone else, and if you post something as ridiculous as you did, I'm going to point it out icon_razz.gif. This topic is about our opinions on the Olympics, so I'm going to post it, and hopefully make people rethink their opinions, or at least consider other points of view. I'm sorry for defending an entire country from insult and calling out someone for mocking people who have worked hard enough to get to the Olympics.

The media is just doing what they've always done, making the juiciest stories. For example, theres the big story about how horrible it is that in order to build the stadium, they forcibly bought or demolished peoples homes. Well, it's true, but the same thing happens here all the time. My town recently had a little flood, so now the people living near the river have to either pay $50,000 to raise their homes above the ground by 5 feet or so, or sell their houses to the town so that they can do it. If they refuse those options, than the town can legally take it from them without pay.

Edited by Lemon, 10 August 2008 - 11:37 PM.

#14 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:41 AM

QUOTE(T. Platinum @ Aug 8 2008, 08:07 PM) View Post

The Olympics are supposed to bring the world together, if only for a moment-putting aside feuds, wars, and politics in a series of sporting events anyone around the world can enjoy.

I think people are only partially capable of putting aside their wars and politics, and they most definitely don't set aside their feuds. icon_neutral.gif

The competition gets to be far too over-the-top. The create of the Olympics gave the best of the best something even higher to strive for, and still you see people crying over getting the silver instead of the gold. Boo-freakin'-hoo, you're only the second-best in the world that year.

It'd be nice if people could simply celebrate in the form of an all-countries-invited summer festival... but it seems nobody pays attention unless sports are involved. Agh.

QUOTE(Takuya @ Aug 10 2008, 01:47 PM) View Post

Bah. The opening ceremony was beautiful. China used to be a world superpower, and now they are rising to the stage again. Just because a country has struggles, and does things differently does not mean that it can not be respected, and allowed to participate in a peaceful event. If Nazi Germany could host the 1936 Olympics in peace, why can't China?

Yeah, but Nazi Germany's Olympics were steeped in ulterior motives. Hitler wanted to use it to prove the superiority of his "Arian Race." Let's all take a moment to thank Jesse Owens for proving him wrong. icon_smile.gif

I'm not going to argue whether Nazi Germany should have been extended the right to host the Olympic games... that argument is beyond me. But I will argue that it is an example of how people have proven incapable of disregarding politics and personal feuds at the Olympics. Often, they're just temporarily transfering their feuds to a non-violent competition.

Edit:

Had to address this.

QUOTE(Lemon @ Aug 10 2008, 09:37 PM) View Post

I don't care that you're staff. You're just a person, and no different than anyone else, and if you post something as ridiculous as you did, I'm going to point it out icon_razz.gif. This topic is about our opinions on the Olympics, so I'm going to post it, and hopefully make people rethink their opinions, or at least consider other points of view. I'm sorry for defending an entire country from insult and calling out someone for mocking people who have worked hard enough to get to the Olympics.

Eurysilas attacked the actions of a country, which in my opinion as a moderator isn't the same as attacking an individual, nationality, or race. You, on the other hand, Lemon, confronted a forum member quite directly. Basically, taking matters into your own hands is not a good idea. In the future, if you have a problem with a staff member, please have enough confidence in the staff as a whole to bring the matter to a different staffer and ask him/her to handle it. That way we can do the dirty work and you can avoid a mark on your record.

#15 AaronJer

AaronJer

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:26 AM

I certainly hope that Lemon being banned isn't because of this. Because from my perspective it looks like he's in trouble for no reason other than that Eurysilas doesn't agree with his opinions and doesn't like being contested on his own. Unless you're getting really hung up on being called a retard...

Ahem... as for the olympics... I find them terribly boring. I'm never, ever, EVER interested in watching people I don't know participate in a sport. I simply do not care how good they are at anything. It's utterly meaningless to me. I don't think it matters at all that the Olympics are in China, because it does nothing other than show that we don't think they're going to screw them up, which will only make us friendlier towards each other.

Edited by AaronJer, 14 August 2008 - 06:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users