1 reply to this topic

#1 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 December 2022 - 09:22 AM

wow scary this will be the last update of the year

i managed to get sick with a flu twice in the span of three weeks so progress has been... somewhat mixed. in saying that, here's what i've done lately!

the other town in the overworld, merrel bay, has been reworked entirely. this is what the town and surrounding areas looked like originally. much like glen village, i ended up tearing this entire area down and rebuilding it to better accommodate my vision for it. in contrast to glen village's more humble, mythical aesthetic, merrel bay is a bustling, industrial port town that acts as the capital of the region, with markets, docks, a tavern, and most importantly plot devices and trading quests (very important!!). i was using pokemon gold and silver as reference points - merrel bay took influence from olivine city and goldenrod city, in comparison to glen village being heavily inspired by ecruteak city. also novigrad from the witcher 3 - particularly with the cascading of the areas in terms of area (industry/commercial, residential, and then the barracks and library at the top of the city). the mask shop is deliberately kept to the left among the messy grass and trees; nobody cares about masks in west merrel.

this is an older version of the new area - the screenshots below are from my latest version.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

as of tonight, i've finally started to implement a reward system based on how many odd seashells you can collect! these are worth nothing in the latest demo, but now they serve a purpose!
Posted Image

the raccoon is probably a placeholder, although i like the idea of a wacky raccoon collecting seashells. i watched knives out on monday night and so far all the dialogue has been written with daniel craig's odd southern accent in the back of my mind. for what it's worth, it looks like i'll have to hide 50 seashells across the quest. the rewards will be worth the hassle though.

the cave of trials that was semi-playable in the first demo was re-worked into the tower of power when the second was released. here's two screenshots showing off the new and improved dungeon.
Posted Image Posted Image
this dungeon will be the equivalent of hero's cave in the linked oracle games. you'll need most items found naturally in the quest to complete it. it's a third done at the moment. it's also been fun trying to work out how to do elaborate puzzles in a one screen environment, while still increasing the difficulty with each new room as well.

finally, the glen heights cave mini-dungeon has been rebuilt.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

i feel like using moosh's minecart script in current year might be playing it a touch dangerously with 2.55. that said, i thought using it alongside bombs as the core loop for the dungeon is risky in terms of setting up puzzles and rooms that work and flow right; and i'm really happy with how this revised version of the dungeon has turned out. much like the new version of the undershrine mini-dungeon, i feel like it's a much stronger early game dungeon in terms of demonstrating key gameplay loops that are part of the quest. the undershrine is relatively action focused, while this dungeon tries to encourage exploration. the rotted stump rework is up next, and i still want it to be very puzzle focused in contrast to the first two "main" mini-dungeons of the quest.

and that's about it for this month. level 1's still slowly coming together, but i think certain parts of it will come together sooner now that i've been dabbling with scripts. i've got a few ideas on how i want to execute certain things.
  • Shane, Sheik and jwex001 like this

#2 jwex001

jwex001

Senior

• Members

Posted 28 December 2022 - 10:42 AM

Love the changes so far, and cannot wait for the next beat for testing. Keep up the great work!

• Taco Chopper likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users