ZC Gameplay Improvement Suggestion Thread

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:45 AM

This topic is for all those plain unintuitive things you see in every ZC quest but just don't make sense for a modern game. Now that we're moving towards a "non-Zelda" brand I think it's time we cleared out some of those weird "Zelda 1-isms" that haven't already gotten fixes.

1. Directional Bombs/Shield - That thing where bombs don't damage the darknut if the bomb is "facing" opposite of the Darknut. The Darknut flashing but not getting hurt is also wonky.

2. Half-Tile Enemy Knockback - If enemies aren't on a full tile (or half tile?) and you hit them, they don't get knocked back. This is especially noticeable with slow enemies made that way with the Enemy Editor. My personal idea would just be a rule to disable all enemy and Link knockback to make things "equal", but I understand some people like using the knockback.

3. Directional Knockback (BS Zelda style) - If you don't hit an enemy at a 180-degree angle to it, it won't get knocked back (i.e. hit a right-moving Moblin from the top, it won't get knocked back).

4. Visible Dive For Item - I have already requested this on the ZC dev server but it would be great if underwater items can have an Armos/Chest combo-style setup so that one can see the item in the water and it disappears after grabbing it.

5. Sideview Enemy Gravity Options - What can I say? Anyone who's used default enemies in sideview has probably wished they could change some enemies to have gravity, and others not.

6. Nayru's Love Invincibility Boolean - This is another thing where it makes sense as a holdover from Ocarina of Time, but any "Non-Zelda" version of it would probably be better served not getting stunned or knocked back when Link gets attacked.

Notes on 2.55:

1. Bomb wall suction disable is already a thing in the newest 2.55 alphas.

2. Same with "boss fireballs look like enemy fireballs, but can't be guarded". Now every single enemy has its own "projectile" sprite that you can edit via the Weapons/Misc sprite editor and assign to an enemy in the Enemy Editor.

3. Roc's Feather has a new option where it cannot cross screen transitions. I think the "Jump Height" algorithm is planned to or has already been reworked.

• nicklegends and Matthew like this

#2 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:54 AM

1. Directional bombs being blocked by shields is fine. Having the enemy still flash as if they got hurt isn't though.

2. The knockback is a chief balancing mechanism for a lot of faster enemies. Ideally there's just a movement type that allows for them to get knocked back between tiles and rounds the difference so they still end on a full tile..

3. Directional knockback is already possible and easy with ghost. I see no reason it shouldn't be a vanilla behavior.

4. Make this a screen flag. While having the item completely obscured can lead to some dumb design choices, it also allows for more puzzle options. The responsibility to use it correctly comes to the quest author, not the program itself.

5. Sideview needs a lot of help and that's probably worth being its own thread.

6. Nayru's Love is the single most powerful active item in the game currently with its default settings. Ideally, in future versions it could be set to have a damage divisor that it applies (accepts decimal numbers) or -1 for full invuln.

• nicklegends likes this

#3 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:41 PM

Oh, you know what I forgot about?

7. A QR to disable a stunned enemy hurting you if you kill it while standing on top of it. This is so annoying for enemies who deal a heart or more of damage.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#4 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:55 PM

Oh, you know what I forgot about?

7. A QR to disable a stunned enemy hurting you if you kill it while standing on top of it. This is so annoying for enemies who deal a heart or more of damage.

G'haa.  Y'know, that always did bother me.  I always feel like a moron when I slash my sword around stunned enemies and end up getting hurt despite them being rendered harmless.  It's like, what just hurt me?  O.o

#5 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 28 October 2019 - 08:54 PM

Also, Goriyas being able to halt before throwing their boomerang would be nice. It's especially nasty in the default setup where the boomerang takes a heart off of your meter.

#6 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 28 October 2019 - 10:48 PM

Moved to the 'Feature Requests' subforum.

#7 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 05 November 2019 - 01:43 AM

"1. Directional bombs being blocked by shields is fine. Having the enemy still flash as if they got hurt isn't though."

Deal is, Link's shield doesn't do that - see this. Even the mirror shield can't block enemy bombs.

Also, how can an explosion be "directional"? I know you can do that IRL but in ZC it's not like the bomb looks aimed in a certain direction or the explosion moves in a certain direction.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#8 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 05 November 2019 - 05:25 AM

Heh, I agree. Bombs and bombing enemies in ZC have always been a tad confusing when one compares the visual, conceptual, and mechanical aspects of them in regards to interacting with enemies.

#9 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:49 AM

1. Directional bombs being blocked by shields is fine. Having the enemy still flash as if they got hurt isn't though.

2. The knockback is a chief balancing mechanism for a lot of faster enemies. Ideally there's just a movement type that allows for them to get knocked back between tiles and rounds the difference so they still end on a full tile..

3. Directional knockback is already possible and easy with ghost. I see no reason it shouldn't be a vanilla behavior.

4. Make this a screen flag. While having the item completely obscured can lead to some dumb design choices, it also allows for more puzzle options. The responsibility to use it correctly comes to the quest author, not the program itself.

5. Sideview needs a lot of help and that's probably worth being its own thread.

6. Nayru's Love is the single most powerful active item in the game currently with its default settings. Ideally, in future versions it could be set to have a damage divisor that it applies (accepts decimal numbers) or -1 for full invuln.

Screw hacks like ghost., We can slate this stuff for 2.6 and beyond If 2.55 didn't already suffer from disgusting feature-creep, I'd be tempted to add it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users