Photo

The Myers Briggs Personality Test

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Poll: Test Result Poll

Which personality type did you get from the test?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

Don't worry about that strange poll just yet (assuming you haven't heard of this). I will provide some details, but I hope that people who view this at least take the time to do the test and share your result. The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is designed to measure psychological preferences in how people perceive the world and make decisions. It categorizes people as one of 16 types of personalities.

So you may ask, "What is the point of this?" I think it helps people understand each other better, knowing what comes natural to people, what doesn't, how people react to situations, etc. No personality type is any better than another, and all have their strengths and weaknesses. Some types likely get along well with each other, some may find themselves clashing on many things, and some can vary. The poll choices are the 16 possible results, and this site I think does a great job as explaining each of the types. Wikipedia has all the same as well, but I don't like their explanations as much.

Take the personality test here, if you have 10 to 15 minutes to spare.

The test is made up of 72 simple yes/no questions that many of you should be able to answer the majority of honestly and with confidence. Be honest with your answers if you are sure what they are. Keep individual answers confidential, but only share the result. None of the results are anything to be ashamed of, and some of you will not hesitate to talk about your own, which is great. Some have even made Youtube videos about their type, including any of the 16. Some are more common than others, although it's very unlikely that any one occurs more than 15% of the time, or less than a fraction of 1% of the time.

As for the four letters, each is considered a preference among two characteristics:
The first preference is Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I).
The second preference is Sensing (S) or Intuition (N).
The third preference is Thinking (T) or Feeling (F).
The fourth preference is Judging (J) or Perceiving (P).
More on those here if you are interested in reading.

As for details on each specific result, here is a page referencing all 16 types, and more links there if you wish to see a more detailed description. Mostly likely you would be interested in seeing your own, and perhaps some of your friends. So if someone gets a certain way, be it a friend or even on a show you watch, you can say "Oh he is so ISTJ", or "She is so ENFP", etc. icon_razz.gif

I hope though that those of you who view this topic at least take the test and share your result. It is interesting just to see what people are, but better yet, help understand each other better, which is often hard enough over the internet. If people are honest, I imagine seeing a wide variety of answers appear in the poll result.

As for my result, I came up as one of the rarest types, INTJ, with the nicknames "The Scientist" and "The Mastermind". As for favored preferences, I am 89% toward Introvert (I), 62% Intuitive (N), 62% Intuitive Thinking (T), and 67% Judging (J).

#2 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

Your Type
INTJ
Introvert(11%) iNtuitive(75%) iNtuitive Thinking(1%) Judging(44%)

You have slight preference of Introversion over Extraversion (11%)
You have distinctive preference of Intuition over Sensing (75%)
You have marginal or no preference of Thinking over Feeling (1%)
You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (44%)

I'm not quite happy with the appraoch of this test. It's painting the world needlessly black and white by for example making the distinction between thinking and feeling. It doesn't forcefully have to be one or the other.

Having a bit of an educational background about how psychological tets are developed, I would very much like to read some of the empirical background this is grounded in. Like, why is it appropriate to define personality by these categories? for example.

None the less, interesting stuff.

Edit: Only now noticed that I scored the same as you, Nathaniel. Heh, that's funny icon_razz.gif

Edited by Yoshimi, 16 July 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#3 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

Well, it doesn't see things as being either 100% or 0%, but rather chooses which one you are more favoring. I somehow knew you would be one of the people interested in the topic though. Nice input.

Looks like it had you as INTJ but possibly INFJ, due to the marginal or no preference of Thinking over Feeling. I believe INFJ is the rarest type, while INTJ is the second rarest, according to wikipedia (and at least in America), but it's hard to measure the likeliness of these things. They say that INFJs are often good as counselors or in the field of psychology, so I would have thought you would more likely be that due to your career inspiration.

#4 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

this test is crap

Edited by Cukeman, 03 May 2018 - 10:27 AM.

#5 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

Well, it doesn't see things as being either 100% or 0%, but rather chooses which one you are more favoring.
But that's the point I'm trying to make. I should have been more accurate I suppose. My problem here is that it divides descision making into two dimensions (namely thinking and feeling), while I bet that it would portay reality much more accurate if it also icluded other (more than two) dimensions such as depending of the situation, according to habits etc. Also, feeling for example is extremly vague, because emotional psychology differentiates between feelings, moods, emotions (and even more I believe) which all mean different things with different consequences.

My rant really is aiming at the analytical approach in itself. Cutting the world into analyzable bits will never truthfully portray (a common) reality. The phi phenomenon states that the whole is more than the sum of it's parts (my own words here) and this holds (very likely) true for things like this especially.

Another thing was that some of the questions didn't seem to make much sense to me. "Do you usually act by your habits?". Why, of course I do! Everybody does. Otherwise they wouldn't have habits, now would they?

Also, interesting input you have to offer yourself. How did you stumble upon this?

Edited by Yoshimi, 16 July 2012 - 03:45 PM.

#6 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

Also, interesting input you have to offer yourself. How did you stumble upon this?

My brother showed it to me. His result was ENTP, by the way. (NoeL might be this, but I wouldn't know for sure.)

As for the test itself, that was just one version of the test. I'm sure there are others that ask different questions.

#7 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

INTJ
Introvert(100%) iNtuitive(62%) iNtuitive Thinking(1%) Judging(67%)

You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (100%)
You have distinctive preference of Intuition over Sensing (62%)
You have marginal or no preference of Thinking over Feeling (1%)
You have distinctive preference of Judging over Perceiving (67%)

While I don't entirely agree with the test (some of the questions were a bit hard to give a yes/no answer to), the results don't surprise me at all. I'm strongly introverted, I like to think I'm intuitive, and I can be awfully judgmental. The one I wasn't sure about beforehand was the thinking/feeling. I can be logical sometimes, but at the same time, I get really emotional sometimes... and apparently, no preference. Hrm.

Edit: Something occurs to me. Even though the test says I have little or no preference for Thinking/Feeling, it still put me in the thinking category. Seems like I could be in either... so shouldn't it give two? Just a thought.

#8 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

I am surprised at all the INTJ's so far. Might have something to do with the kind of people who are attracted to a place like PureZC, but I have zero basis for that. Maybe we just like to take tests like this? It would be interesting to see if anybody here is the opposite of that: ESFP. Someone like Michael Scott from "The Office" would be that, as they like to be the center of attention (could be in a good or bad way, though).

#9 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:50 PM

Gah, I closed the page by mistake before copying the scores down. >_<

Anyway, I'm a ISFJ. Neat little test thing - thanks for sharing this! icon_biggrin.gif I was curious as to what you meant that one time you mentioned it. (Totally specific I know. ._.)

#10 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

I think yours makes a lot of sense SpaceManDan, as you are very warm and friendly.

From here:
http://www.personali...e.com/ISFJ.html
The ISFJ has an extremely well-developed sense of space, function, and aesthetic appeal.

After all, you are a spaceman. icon_wink.gif

#11 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

My result was ENFJ.

You have moderate preference of Extraversion over Introversion (56%)
You have distinctive preference of Intuition over Sensing (62%)
You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (50%)
You have distinctive preference of Judging over Perceiving (67%)
Popular and sensitive, with outstanding people skills. Externally focused, with real concern for how others think and feel. Usually dislike being alone. They see everything from the human angle, and dislike impersonal analysis. Very effective at managing people issues, and leading group discussions. Interested in serving others, and probably place the needs of others over their own needs.

Thanks for sharing this, Nathaniel. It's quite pretty nifty!

#12 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

INTJ
Introvert(67%) iNtuitive(50%) iNtuitive Thinking(75%) Judging(22%)

You have distinctive preference of Introversion over Extraversion (67%)
You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (50%)
You have distinctive preference of Thinking over Feeling (75%)
You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%)

Dunno how I feel about this. O_o

#13 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

I tested INFJ, but it told me that the "J" designation was default and I had neither a preference to judging (J) or perceiving (P).

I used to test INFP back in my earlier days here on PureZC (high school required me to take this test), but apparently that has changed, likely with maturity. icon_razz.gif

#14 Chris Miller

Chris Miller

The Dark Man

• Banned

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

Result: INTJ
You have distinctive preference of Introversion over Extraversion (67%)
You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (50%)
You have slight preference of Thinking over Feeling (12%)
You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (33%)

#15 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

INFJ
Introvert(44%) iNtuitive(75%) iNtuitive Feeling(38%) Judging(22%)
You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (44%)
You have distinctive preference of Intuition over Sensing (75%)
You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (38%)
You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%)

I think this is relatively accurate. I'm always skeptical of personality tests, but I've taken this one before and it always seems to hit a little bit closer to home than most.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users