Photo

Screenshot of the Week 21

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Your choice... (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Your choice...

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 jman2050

jman2050

Illustrious

• ZC Developers

Posted 09 April 2003 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE(Teilyr @ Apr 8 2003, 05:37 PM)
Damn J.  That's just mean. O_o

"No offense, but what you'd done is CRAP."  Right.  icon_blink.gif

I vote for Praethus.

No need to sugarcoat something just to make a person happy. The only screen that shows any kind of visual effort is Mr.Z, but that looks ugly to me, so thus all of them are crap. I don't mean to put down anybody, but just as I implore criticism of my work, I also will criticize another's work without a scent of hesistation.

Just letting you all know for future reference icon_wink.gif .

#17 Ielen

Ielen

Adept

• Members

Posted 09 April 2003 - 07:34 AM

Well Jman, to each his own opinion (quoting from someone), some may find all the screenshots plain ugly or nice-looking, depending on which type of person you are and from what view do you look at them icon_smile.gif

I disagree with you when you say "all of them are crap", I'm sure everyone has put in alot of effort to come up with the screenshots. Just to say that the people did not put in any effort seems really an unfair criticism icon_smile.gif

Just my own opinion icon_smile.gif

#18 jman2050

jman2050

Illustrious

• ZC Developers

Posted 09 April 2003 - 07:43 AM

Trust me, I appreciate whatever effort went into making those shots, and I'm aware that people will disagree with me. Perhaps it would have been more clearer if I said all of them are crap to me, but I didn't becuase I assumed people would know that was an opinionated statement. Guess I was wrong.

ANd I'm saying that it doesn't LOOK like any of them put effort into it, except for Mr. Z, which is ugly to me. I cannot say how much time was spent on these screenshots, but frankly, I don't care. Effort is a nice thing to be commended for, but if that's all you're getting, there is a problem. Just wanted to clear that up for anyone who took offense to my statements...

#19 Mr. Z

Mr. Z

Old Bastard is back!

• Members

Posted 09 April 2003 - 07:49 AM

If you think the screenshots are crap, just don't post that. icon_sweat.gif
m'kay?

#20 Ielen

Ielen

Adept

• Members

Posted 09 April 2003 - 07:59 AM

In the end it all boils down to your own opinion. You find them ugly looking which is fine but I still think you are not making a fair critique icon_smile.gif If you think they are crap, at least give some reason why you find them crappy looking, like you can say my screenshot has cliff error, then I'll try to amend it next time. I may even thank you for giving that critique icon_smile.gif

I'm sure people do not post screenshots for any form of effort commendation. There could be many reasons for posting screenshots, like to show creativity, originality, etc.

I'm not offended by your comments, I just find them too funny icon_smile.gif

I applaud Happyman for giving fair assessment which in my opinion is very valuable feedback . He was able to perceive our screenshot errors which provides a good idea how we should better improve our shots in the future icon_smile.gif

Edited by Ielen, 09 April 2003 - 08:04 AM.

#21 Myst_Knight

Myst_Knight

Initiate

• Members

Posted 09 April 2003 - 11:08 AM

I vote Mr.Z. Great coloring for a forest. Makes it look like the original, in fall. Love it icon_smile.gif

#22 jman2050

jman2050

Illustrious

• ZC Developers

Posted 09 April 2003 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE(Ielen @ Apr 9 2003, 06:59 AM)
In the end it all boils down to your own opinion. You find them ugly looking which is fine but I still think you are not making a fair critique icon_smile.gif If you think they are crap, at least give some reason why you find them crappy looking, like you can say my screenshot has cliff error, then I'll try to amend it next time. I may even thank you for giving that critique icon_smile.gif

Fine, fine, maybe I should've said something more. Look below for WHY I don't like any of them

I'm sure people do not post screenshots for any form of effort commendation. There could be many reasons for posting screenshots, like to show creativity, originality, etc.

which, honestly, I see none in any of these shots. Ohh, the palette was recolered, whoop-dee-doo (well, the last one is somewhat original, but still doesn't measure up)

I'm not offended by your comments, I just find them too funny icon_smile.gif

I read my comments, and also found them sort of funny. I'm usually a bit more discreet in my critiques. Guess I was in a bad mood

I applaud Happyman for giving fair assessment which in my opinion is very valuable feedback . He was able to perceive our screenshot errors which provides a good idea how we should better improve our shots in the future icon_smile.gif

My issue is not with error. A screenshot can have a couple of graphical errors, but if I like how it looks, I'm going for it. I vote in this contest based on creativity and visual prowess. I could honestly care less about how they're supposed to factor into a quest, or even the layout of objects on the screen. If it looks good and shows a measure of creativity, it gets my vote: end of story

Ielen: the colors hurt my eyes, seriously. It does show a nice array of objects, but overall looks haphazardly placed. Singing Marins and bird statues are getting old, although the house looks nice...

Mr. Z: A well-made forest, with a good amount of variety included within the entire picture without it becoming stale very quickly. Still, not really creative in too many ways, and while is uses color nicely(note the word 'use'), the scheme doesn't suit well with me. And it's not you, trust me, cause I hated the fall scheme in OoS and the pure tileset (though the Pure's set seems to be colored better), so blame it on the fall tiles

Demimore: It's bland and ugly. I'm sure this part is meant to look dark and drab, but as I said earlier, I don't give a crap. This basically garnered nothingbut a yawn from me. Try to push a bit more when making your shots for this contest.

Praethus: *yawn* Been there, done that. Almost nothing creative, and it visually seemed static. I like the tiles used, but as a whole, it just didn't do it for me.

Yobumcha: A standard house in a standard palette, with standard people. I guess you were thinking that the cuccos might save you on this one. While it is a nice creative touch, it just makes the shot look cluttered, and doesn't really draw you away from the fact that the house doesn't look that good to begin with...

There, my criticisms. They each had their good points, but their bad points stood out more. Thus, they're all crap to me.

Better luck next time, all of you...

#23 radder1

radder1

Junior

• Members

Posted 09 April 2003 - 08:20 PM

I'll vote for Ielen. Cool Oriental house and the N,E,W,S is interesting. Can't wait for the quest!

#24 Ielen

Ielen

Adept

• Members

Posted 09 April 2003 - 08:56 PM

Thanks radder1 icon_smile.gif

Well, that sounds like a review now Jman. Even if you said the word crap, I'm very sure it sounds much better in the context of those reviews icon_smile.gif

#25 Teilyr

Teilyr

• Members

Posted 11 April 2003 - 06:26 AM

Ielen is winning? icon_wow.gif

Did I miss something? When did simple screens which use the wrong color on several tiles, become not only accepted, but popular?

ps- No disrespect meant, Ielen.

#26 Ielen

Ielen

Adept

• Members

Posted 11 April 2003 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE(Teilyr @ Apr 11 2003, 07:26 PM)
Ielen is winning? icon_wow.gif

Did I miss something?  When did simple screens which use the wrong color on several tiles, become not only accepted, but popular?

ps- No disrespect meant, Ielen.

Teilyr, I sense a tone of shock and maybe some prejudice here icon_smile.gif (No offence)

Just because someone doesn't choose the standard pattern of doing things doesn't mean it should not be accepted.
Even if you mention the word "accepted", this seems like confining a quest maker to the standard pattern of quest making and I'm not totally sure what that standard is or should be icon_smile.gif

I didn't design this screenshot just to please the usual experts. I designed this screenshot for myself and for anyone who can appreciate randomness and oddness icon_smile.gif

Edited by Ielen, 14 April 2003 - 02:02 AM.

#27 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 13 April 2003 - 11:32 PM

Looks like I'm a little late here... My computer has been freaking out this weekend, and when I was able to get on, I forgot to end this. I declare Ielen the winner. SotW 22 will begin Tuesday, since I didn't end this one until now. I have 3 submissions already, including 2 from people who haven't entered in awhile. icon_rolleyes.gif But more submissions is always good. icon_wink.gif

Edit: Also, Ielen, your pic isn't broken. If you would like for me to put it in my sig, please fix it and send me a PM.

#28 Mr. Z

Mr. Z

Old Bastard is back!

• Members

Posted 14 April 2003 - 02:50 AM

And I will enter again, next time, with a better looking screenshot this time.
It's going to be from Doublevision 2 but that's all I'll tell for now... icon_twisted.gif

#29 Ielen

Ielen

Adept

• Members

Posted 14 April 2003 - 05:48 AM

Mr Z sorry I stole the thunder from you (feel kinda bad) icon_redface.gif

Just want to say three things :

1) You got me interested in the Pure Tileset. I was playing your quest Pure Quest and it was the most beautifully-designed quest I've ever seen.

2) You're my most favourite quest maker. I've got two other favourites, one's DFW and the other's Prince.

3) I like reading all your posts on this and AGN board. They are all so funny hehehehe icon_biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users