ZC on linux questions

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Valerie

Valerie

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 08 September 2020 - 03:05 PM

I installed ZC on linux recently and I have a few questions.

When I installed it, it didn't ask me for my admin password, and it has always asked me for that when I installed programs in the past, I was wondering why that was. (I am still learning about linux and am curious about things like this)

When I run it in 320x240 (windowed or fullscreen) it runs full speed, but when I set the resolution higher it goes around maybe half speed, is there a way to make it run faster? Or is my computer just too old. Also when I run it in 320x240 fullscreen it is small and has a big black border, anyway to make it run without the border at full speed?

Also the download link for this at zeldaclassic.com wasn't working, I downloaded it at purezc.

Edited by Valerie, 08 September 2020 - 03:05 PM.

#2 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 08 September 2020 - 03:51 PM

Most programs (and their support files) go into system directories, usually under /usr or /opt, and they need your password to modify those directories. More precisely, they need root privileges, and the system is configured to require a password to grant them. Some applications, like ZC, you just unzip and run from anywhere. In that case, they don't need any special permissions.

ZC doesn't use hardware acceleration on Linux, so it will unfortunately be slower than on Windows. But it's not that demanding; I would expect even an older system could handle it. Does pressing F1 or ~ make a difference? I can't think of much else to try offhand - there's not a lot that should affect it.

If running 320x240 fullscreen doesn't just work, you probably can't do anything to make it. It requires changing the screen resolution, and not many screens support resolutions that low.

• ShadowTiger and Valerie like this

#3 Valerie

Valerie

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 08 September 2020 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for the info and help. It is somewhat bigger in fullscreen, but there is alot of black border around it. It is still playable. Also pressing F1 in higher resolutions doesn't help, but in 320x240 it makes it go too fast.

#4 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 10 September 2020 - 04:41 AM

What version did you use VEL? We do have a 2.53.1 Linux build, but it is unverified. More forthcoming this Winter.

#5 Valerie

Valerie

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 10 September 2020 - 01:59 PM

What version did you use VEL? We do have a 2.53.1 Linux build, but it is unverified. More forthcoming this Winter.

Linux v2.50.2
So far I'm mainly trying to learn the new features and relearn what I've forgotten how to do. I think it's been over 10 or 15 years since I've used ZC. I've also been going through the BS Zelda Gigaleak files and trying to figure out how to handle a BS tileset update. (I'm trying to make it user friendly) Lots of the BS Zelda beta files use a different set of palettes and I'm thinking of various ways the tiles can be used. I might even make a standalone BS beta tileset in addition to updating the regular BS tileset.
  • ShadowTiger likes this

#6 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:22 AM

Linux v2.50.2
So far I'm mainly trying to learn the new features and relearn what I've forgotten how to do. I think it's been over 10 or 15 years since I've used ZC. I've also been going through the BS Zelda Gigaleak files and trying to figure out how to handle a BS tileset update. (I'm trying to make it user friendly) Lots of the BS Zelda beta files use a different set of palettes and I'm thinking of various ways the tiles can be used. I might even make a standalone BS beta tileset in addition to updating the regular BS tileset.

We are making slow progress with Linux builds. At present the Linux builder has not been able to produce a build with sound/music, and this is not a new issue. It has to do with ALSA being deprecated in the kernel, and IDR how to correct it. At the very least, we do have functional versions that run on Debian and Ubuntu now, so, we're getting closer to a new Linux build.

#7 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 25 September 2020 - 03:21 PM

Would you be interested in being a dedicated tester for future Linux builds? 

#8 Valerie

Valerie

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 28 September 2020 - 03:02 PM

Would you be interested in being a dedicated tester for future Linux builds? 

I have been thinking about this alot, and I don't know if I would be good for that. My laptop has alot of problems, and is outdated. I also don't know linux very well, and I don't know ZC very well, I forgot alot of it after not using it for over a decade. I also don't have alot of time when I can use this laptop. Though things could change.

#9 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:02 AM

I have been thinking about this alot, and I don't know if I would be good for that. My laptop has alot of problems, and is outdated. I also don't know linux very well, and I don't know ZC very well, I forgot alot of it after not using it for over a decade. I also don't have alot of time when I can use this laptop. Though things could change.

I am going to be setting up a dedicated Linux dev environment in the coming weeks. If you are interested, I will send builds to you. ZC for Linux by definition is built on old versions of Linux, so running an older version--probably newer than what we use--is fine. 

#10 Beefy

Beefy

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 11 November 2020 - 06:07 PM

Where can I find the build for Ubuntu? I am running linux mint right now. I would guess it would work. Haven't used ZC in a couple of years. It use to just be a folder with an excitable so there wasn't any install. Sorry if I am a but behind. Kind of just got on here looking to see if I could find a quest to play. Didn't know there was a new ZC besides 2.50.2

#11 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 23 November 2020 - 06:28 PM

I am also available for Linux testing now.

• Valerie likes this

#12 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:17 PM

Linux builds are creeping along. 

#13 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 18 February 2021 - 02:05 AM

I recently switched from MATE (forked from GNOME 2) to Cinnamon (forked from GNOME 3), and now ZC runs at about 30 FPS at my preferred resolution. Lower ones are still okay. I don't know what exactly changed there, but clearly it's not as simple as an underpowered system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users