Photo

Screenshot of the Week 503

Demonlink Joelmacool12 bmc10011 Eddy ZeldaPlayer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 503 (64 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:41 PM

Joelmacool12

Joelmacool12.png

Nearing the coast... "Thank god! I needed a brake from all that fighting" - Link

bmc10011

bmc10011.png

I wonder how am I suppose to be able to solve this puzzle?

Eddy

Eddy.png

Mushroom Hill

Demonlink

Demonlink.png

As Link is climbing Dead Man's Peak in search of the Freezing Rain essence, he stumbles upon a new breed of Moblins and Tokay. They're not vulnerable to any of his weapons, and they seem to be corrupted by an evil power. Link begins to wonder about the dark mysteries that this mountain hides, and the following question haunts him: Just who or what is behind this?

ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer.png

I already have a sword. What else would be in the chest?

• Joelmacool likes this

#2 ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer

What's up my playas

• Members

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:35 PM

These are some good screenshots! :D

Edited by ZeldaPlayer, 12 April 2015 - 08:36 PM.

#3 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:53 PM

Joelmacool12 - A nice overworld screen.  I'm not sure what else to say.

bmc10011 - A functional dungeon screen.  Looks like some sort of puzzle with a not so immediate reward.  Not the most interesting of dungeon screens at face value, but the challenge with dungeons is often brainstorming what to do with them in the first place, thus why we see these less often than overworlds.  And this is despite the fact that there are fewer wrong ways to sensibly design a dungeon than so with an overworld.

Eddy - Also a nice overworld screen in general.  The right side feels a bit strange to me though, as it looks more like a tree storage unit rather than something with a natural flow to it.  It's clear to me that the intent behind it was to simply fill that part of the screen with unwalkable elements, while still keeping a sense of elevation.  I just think there are likely better ways to achieve that sort of goal.

Demonlink - A bit crowded, but still very nice looking.  My vote was here, as I think this overall shows off the best talent.

ZeldaPlayer - It works pretty well for the limitations of classic.

• Eddy and Demonlink like this

#4 Twilight Midna

Twilight Midna

Initiate

• Members

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:50 AM

So many EZGBZ screens! I love the GBC tileset, so it was kind of a hard choice.

Joelmacool - It looks nice, but there isn't really anything outstanding about it. A simple, functional overworld screen.

bmc10011 - This quest... still looks a lot like Island of Rebirth. Like, almost exactly. Even the HUD is nearly identical. It could be a Master Quest take on Island of Rebirth if it didn't already have Hero Mode built in. That's not a bad thing, mind you, since IoR typically has excellent, atmospheric screen design (possibly to distract you from the fact that you just died for the 400th time). At the same time, being derivative isn't a good thing.

Eddy - Not much to say about this one either. There isn't really anything unique besides the mushrooms, and it feels a bit underdetailed in places. If you hadn't told me, I would have never guessed it was supposed to be Mushroom Hill. It's fine for what it is, but it doesn't seem particularly attention-grabbing.

Demonlink - This one I like. The muted color scheme combined with the "shadow" enemies creates an air of mystery I don't see in any of the other screens.

Zeldaplayer - Good for a Classic tileset screen, but like many Classic screens, there isn't a whole lot interesting about it.

#5 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:15 AM

Oh god, this is like GBC Screens of the Week or something (except for ZeldaPlayer, sorry lol). Before I review the other screens, time to respond to some criticism.

Eddy - Also a nice overworld screen in general.  The right side feels a bit strange to me though, as it looks more like a tree storage unit rather than something with a natural flow to it.  It's clear to me that the intent behind it was to simply fill that part of the screen with unwalkable elements, while still keeping a sense of elevation.  I just think there are likely better ways to achieve that sort of goal.

I never really thought of it that way honestly. I guess I could find ways to counter that. Either way, thanks :D

Eddy - Not much to say about this one either. There isn't really anything unique besides the mushrooms, and it feels a bit underdetailed in places. If you hadn't told me, I would have never guessed it was supposed to be Mushroom Hill. It's fine for what it is, but it doesn't seem particularly attention-grabbing.

Underdetailed you say? Where specifically if you don't mind lol? But anyways, I'll admit, this image is kind of outdated now and it's got a bit more detail I guess. But thanks anyways.

Either way, here's the updated screen.

iHuxwLR.png

However, please don't let that image above influence you to change your vote, that wasn't the intention. I'm only showing this off to show some changes to it.

Either way, time to review the other screens.

Joelmacool12 - Really neat screenshot. It reminds me of the Tornobo Shores from Link's Awakening. Nice job.

bmc10011 - I'm not really sure what's happening here to be honest. All those ice blocks seem incredibly cluttered up, but I guess design wise it looks alright. Nothing else to say here.

Eddy - How dare you change Talus Peaks into Mushroom Hill, you must die.

Demonlink - This is amazing stuff. Like I said over in the screenshot critique thread, it would be best to change the water tiles to something else that doesn't resemble shallow water. Besides that, this is the best shot this week IMO.

ZeldaPlayer - A pretty functional classic shot. There's nothing new here but it gets the job done and it's pretty neat I guess.

Edited by Eddy, 13 April 2015 - 10:16 AM.

• Demonlink and ZeldaPlayer like this

#6 justin

justin

Adept

• Members

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:18 AM

Joel, nice work. The colour of the shells looks weird to me, but otherwise i like all the detailing especially the scary tree hiding at the top. I'd like to see some gameplay elements to really sell it - enemies, Link, something to do. As it stands, the screen is functional and gets me more interested in your quest.

Bmc, I don't get it. Just a big square room with a puzzle I don't understand. The palette is nice.

Eddy, it's ok, I'm happy that it doesn't seem to be a remake of an Oracle screen. Not a lot of playable area since the whole right third of the screen is trees, having something hiding up there accessible from another screen would be really interesting. The 2 tile wide path could be annoying depending on enemy type and placement. I'm not a fan of the blue rocks in the water maybe if they were a different colour they would pop more. The mushrooms are really what bother me about the screen though, they don't fit the perspective or tileset in my opinion. Firebird has some mushroom tiles that would probably work better. I'm even less of a fan of your larger mushrooms on version 2, they'd fit ok with classic, but not here. They are too under detailed and wrong perspective. I know I've seen larger mushrooms around here somewhere on a tile sheet or smaller tileset.

Demonlink, love it, no criticism, it's perfection. Unlike Eddy I don't think that water suggests it's shallow, looks totally fine to me. Voted

Zeldaplayer, decent classic screen. I like the long grass but there is probably too much of it, the screen could use some different details. Nothing really stands out to me, but it is certainly a functional screen.

#7 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:42 AM

Eddy, it's ok, I'm happy that it doesn't seem to be a remake of an Oracle screen. Not a lot of playable area since the whole right third of the screen is trees, having something hiding up there accessible from another screen would be really interesting. The 2 tile wide path could be annoying depending on enemy type and placement. I'm not a fan of the blue rocks in the water maybe if they were a different colour they would pop more. The mushrooms are really what bother me about the screen though, they don't fit the perspective or tileset in my opinion. Firebird has some mushroom tiles that would probably work better. I'm even less of a fan of your larger mushrooms on version 2, they'd fit ok with classic, but not here. They are too under detailed and wrong perspective. I know I've seen larger mushrooms around here somewhere on a tile sheet or smaller tileset.

Fair enough, I'm basing all of this off Oracle of Ages so ya know, I kinda need to adapt some things from there onto here. About the small mushrooms, they're taken from Oracle of Seasons so I'm basically doing exactly what Seasons did. I personally don't see a problem with those but thanks anyway. About the big mushrooms, yes I'll admit they lack perspective and all that. They are still in the early stages and I am still improving them. Just note that these aren't really final yet :P

Edit: Forgot about the statement with enemy placements. There are hardly any enemies (probably just 1 or 2) to make up for the small movement space.

Edited by Eddy, 14 April 2015 - 10:43 AM.

#8 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:10 AM

Demonlink, love it, no criticism, it's perfection. Unlike Eddy I don't think that water suggests it's shallow, looks totally fine to me. Voted

Just gonna correct ya there, He did use shallow water, if you see the image here:
Zelda-Links-Awakening-DX_052.png
You can see it IS actually shallow water, even if the darker patches are deep water you can see that in demonlinks pic the water isn't dark, so it is shallow. If it IS deep well demonlink, you're gonna have to make it darker water :P

Edited by Joelmacool12, 14 April 2015 - 11:11 AM.

#9 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:22 AM

Joelmacool12: Your screen structure is nice, but the detail is far too scattered and all over the place. It's best to put detail on the sides of the path so not every screen feels like a hack and slash obstacle; you have enemy npcs for that. I really love your palette choice here.

bmc10011: Not much to say. I don't really like the limited space. You seem to be directing my attention to a puzzle, but I'm not sure what is the puzzle without proper context.

Eddy: Runner up this week. Out of all these shots, this uses EZGBZ properly in my opinion. The only problem was it really has nothing compelling going on for a vote.

Demonlink: My vote goes here for the amazing structure and unique atmosphere. A few minor gripes and one was pointed out by Eddy. I really don't like when shallow water is used as deep water. It really messes with my mind when it comes to the interpretation as I grew up viewing these tiles as walkable. And besides, what else are you going to use for actual shallow water? :P

My second complaint is the grass borders on top of the mountain. I'll admit it looks cramped and unnecessary. But otherwise, the most amazing shot this week.

ZeldaPlayer: Not much to say; work on your mountain shapes and tree variety a bit more!

• Eddy, Demonlink and ZeldaPlayer like this

#10 justin

justin

Adept

• Members

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:48 AM

Just gonna correct ya there, He did use shallow water,

Thanks, but my opinion isn't wrong, so you aren't "correcting" me. If you read what I wrote I said it didn't suggest shallow water to me. If I was just playing that screen and hadn't played Awakening and had never opened EZGB then I would not have thought it was shallow water. In fact, I've done both and still don't think the water looks shallow in that screenshot. Who cares how it's supposed to be used? What matters is that it looks good. In another thread demonlink said that the deep water didn't look as good. You guys should be less concerned with doing it exactly like X-title and be more concerned with making it look good for your quest.

#11 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:58 AM

Thanks, but my opinion isn't wrong, so you aren't "correcting" me. If you read what I wrote I said it didn't suggest shallow water to me. If I was just playing that screen and hadn't played Awakening and had never opened EZGB then I would not have thought it was shallow water. In fact, I've done both and still don't think the water looks shallow in that screenshot. Who cares how it's supposed to be used? What matters is that it looks good. In another thread demonlink said that the deep water didn't look as good. You guys should be less concerned with doing it exactly like X-title and be more concerned with making it look good for your quest.

ok sure.

#12 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:58 AM

For me it's not about making it look like X-title but sometimes X-title does it better and that's just my opinion very much like yours. I just don't like shallow water as deep water as it raises a few minor issues and peeves within me.

And I think I'll stick to being "concerned" about making my quest and screens follow similar design philosophies that the GBC Zelda titles used. I think it looks better that way. :P

• Eddy likes this

#13 justin

justin

Adept

• Members

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:11 PM

Is there an actual difference in the tile other than the colour? I can't see one. Demonlink could easily just put a lighter coloured water in for the shallow water, no? What exactly is telling you guys it is shallow?

#14 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:21 PM

Because it just looks shallow to me, even if it's darkened or brightened up - I'll admit I don't like how LA/LADX just darkened the water, so that goes to show I'm not overly concerned. :P That, and it was sprited specifically with shallow water proprieties in mind, I am so accustomed to it being shallow. It's like if I sprited a rock with the purpose of it being an obstacle and someone comes along and makes it a pushable block. This is a honest pet peeve of mine. You don't have to design screens exactly like the Gameboy Zelda games because hell, I am using graphics that aren't from those titles. But again, if it doesn't look like deep water for me, it just doesn't and I can address this and I'm leaving it at that. :)

Hell, I think the screen could play out a lot better if it was shallow water. Less cramped, bridge adds in scenery from a different perspective, etc. That's another reason why I see it as shallow: it just looks better if it is. I have a ton of reasons, but I didn't want to make a big deal or discussion out of it in the first place...

Edited by Shane, 14 April 2015 - 12:25 PM.

#15 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:43 PM

Joelmacool12: Somehow reminds me of Link's Awakening, near Yarna Desert. Solid screen design!

bmc1001: I would totally get stumped on that puzzle. The palette is nice and all, but it seems you tended to focus more on the puzzle than the design itself. Not a bad thing, but still a nice screen.

Eddy(theOliviera): Seeing your improvement in your recent updated screen, it looks good, but it's just a bit too distracting for me with the repeated trees spread around the edges. I spot a water combo in the north part of your screen that should meet a dirt border, but that's just a minor thing I wanted to point out. The palette reminds me of OoA (I know that's intended too :P ), and the design reminds me of the water area just before you reach Symmetry Village (Present) as well. And since I see water, there's bound to be a lot of plant life around right? Good job ye old chap! :D

ZeldaPlayer: A classic shot that's a bit too straight with the mountains and dead trees. Add a bit more variety to your shot, like toying with mountain borders, turns and so. Also, I suggest you spread the trees around a bit, just so it doesn't look too straight ;)

Copying Eddy's idea, errr, responding to the fantastic feedback you guys have given to me so far! :)

Demonlink - A bit crowded, but still very nice looking.  My vote was here, as I think this overall shows off the best talent.

Thank you! I'll admit it does look a bit crowded, but this was kind of intended. If you can observe closely, there is much to explore on this screen! If this was a real quest, the small bush would be burnable, a bombable cave entrance could be found and you can get a small reward on that chest on the ledge! My goal was to put as much secrets and exploration on one single screen, and I think this turned out just... right :) Once again, thank you for your kind words! 

Demonlink - This one I like. The muted color scheme combined with the "shadow" enemies creates an air of mystery I don't see in any of the other screens.

And... I give you a big hug for also finding out the atmosphere I was going for! :D

Eddy - How dare you change Talus Peaks into Mushroom Hill, you must dieDemonlink: Don't be harsh on the poor guy, I actually support his change of Talus Peaks:superevil:

Demonlink - This is amazing stuff. Like I said over in the screenshot critique thread, it would be best to change the water tiles to something else that doesn't resemble shallow water. Besides that, this is the best shot this week IMO.

Thanks again my man! As said in the official screenshot forum, I tended to go more with "what works" instead of how it should be. ;) Trust me, I didn't like the rest of how the other water combos looked like in my shot. They stood out more than the rest of the shot IMO, but it's reasonable you think that's shallow water. But, here's a fun question that will haunt your soul: What if it isn't even WATER!?  :superevil:

Thank you as well Justin! Yeah, it's just a work around to make this shot look and feel better! :)

Demonlink: My vote goes here for the amazing structure and unique atmosphere. A few minor gripes and one was pointed out by Eddy. I really don't like when shallow water is used as deep water. It really messes with my mind when it comes to the interpretation as I grew up viewing these tiles as walkable. And besides, what else are you going to use for actual shallow water? :P Demonlink's Response to that: My thoughts that are endless and a thousand souls could drown in them... including mine... (not)

My second complaint is the grass borders on top of the mountain. I'll admit it looks cramped and unnecessary. But otherwise, the most amazing shot this week.

Thanks Shane! Glad you appreciate the structure and atmosphere, since both were my primary goals. Don't worry about the shallow water thing dude, it's only a shot, no real quest is gonna come out of this.. YET!  :superevil: And... YOU DARE CRITICIZE MAI GRASS BORDERS!? ... That's just decoration :P

And speaking of the shallow water situation, guys, can we just forget it and keep enjoying the contest? I really don't see the importance of if I used x combo instead of another. I went with "what works for me", and it's just a minor issue that doesn't seem to have that much importance from my view.  :badrazz:

• Shane, Eddy and Matthew like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Demonlink, Joelmacool12, bmc10011, Eddy, ZeldaPlayer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users