Photo

Screenshot of the Week 458

Demonlink Charizard legend27 Lightwulf Avataro

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 458 (68 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

Demonlink, you're certainly dominating SOTW these days.

Also, you seem very talented with the use of the tileset (Koten, am I right?). Great job!

• Demonlink likes this

#17 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

Demonlink's suffers from poor, cramped composition and a confused, scatterbrained aesthetic.  This might offend some I guess, but it doesn't feel like it was composed for any real reason but just thrown together because hey new tileset Koten fancy exciting woo.  I'm sorry if I'm slamming it too hard; I just don't understand its popularity and it actually had the least appeal to me of any of the shots this week.

legend27's may not be the greatest compositionally, but it captures a certain kind of... "imagination", I guess, that's lacking from some of the other entries.  It's a little bit messy, but it's also pretty and it has a lot of heart in it.  It sticks to a limited color palette (the green/pink/blue thing it has going on), which really, really helps it stick out aesthetically, and it uses forest overhangs in a way that makes it prettier without making it harder to tell what's going on.  I like it!  I voted for it!

Lightwulf's is cool too.  A little monochromatic, and the layering the mountain over the raised land in the bottom left is a little confusing to my eyes and brain, but it has an interesting setting, which is cool.

Avataro's works fine but it's boringer than Plainsville and does nearly nothing to distinguish itself.  It'd work fine in a quest but I wouldn't call it a standout screen or anything.

Edited by Rambly, 02 June 2014 - 08:22 PM.

• Parsnip likes this

#18 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

Demonlink's suffers from poor, cramped composition and a confused, scatterbrained aesthetic.  This might offend some I guess, but it doesn't feel like it was composed for any real reason but just thrown together because hey new tileset Koten fancy exciting woo.  I'm sorry if I'm slamming it too hard; I just don't understand its popularity and it actually had the least appeal to me of any of the shots this week.

Well, I didn't actually throw it all together just because of "new tileset, yay!" If that were the case, I can grab my set and make a total random screen. I actually dedicated around 10 minutes to throw the screen together. But alas, I guess not everybody likes my designs  :shrug:

#19 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

Ahh...hmm...*deep breath* Probably gonna have to go with Legend27's shot, here. :/

Demonlink - As always, it's great to see you using my tileset! :D But I'm going to have to agree the design is a bit scattered. I think if you isolated the clouds to be close to the waterfall, used corner tiles for the bottoms of clouds and made the trees a bit more uniform, this would have been my winning shot. :)

Legend27 - What can I say? This is pretty great. It's a simple tileset (and my absolute favorite) but the lighting adds a ton of complexity. Despite this, it's clean and player-friendly.

Lightwulf - A bit on the bland side, but it's nice seeing people branch out and make caves more dynamic than those of the original LoZ...The very few additions of tiles makes this a very clean shot, but what's up with the cliffs in the lower-left? Are the outer walls supposed to be in the foreground, covering up the pits? It's not really clear at all.

Avataro - *yawn* Nothing new or particularly adventurous here. A strong, functional screen, though. Some accents of color other than blue and green would have really spiced it up. Maybe pink flowers or a nice sunset palette?

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 02 June 2014 - 08:53 PM.

• Demonlink and Parsnip like this

#20 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

Thanks, guys! :)  I hope you enjoy this spoiler of a top-secret hidden area I just added to my quest (which, BTW, is on the verge of release).

Lightwulf's is cool too.  A little monochromatic, and the layering the mountain over the raised land in the bottom left is a little confusing to my eyes and brain, but it has an interesting setting, which is cool.

Lightwulf - A bit on the bland side, but it's nice seeing people branch out and make caves more dynamic than those of the original LoZ...The very few additions of tiles makes this a very clean shot, but what's up with the cliffs in the lower-left? Are the outer walls supposed to be in the foreground, covering up the pits? It's not really clear at all.

Yeah, sorry for the confusion.  Since this is a cave, there is a lower ceiling over the left edge of the screen, and yes, there's a foreground that the player can walk under when going west.

The palette is a darkened version of the palette of the area that led to this place.

#21 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

Charizard, please translate or else 0 stars :D

Demonlink, you are really good with this tileset. These graphics look pretty and they compliment the nice and solid screen design. I don't think the player should be able to enter the screen from the right here.

legend27, the canopy is used a bit weird and unusual, but it's still an amazing screen! Nice subscreen :)

Lightwulf, this area looks fun to explore but annoying to traverse (I hate bats they never stop flying xD). I love the way you used the mountains and you are doing more with Classic, graphically, than most people.

About my screen, I have to say thank you everyone for your comments. You don't know how glad I am to hear that my screen works well and looks natural for use in a quest. This means that I finally got more confident with this tileset again. I lost my faith in my ability of using it, ever since I used the Classic tileset.

#22 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:44 AM

Charizard: Best screen ever! Simply breathtaking! 11/10 :D

(Note: Only pretty pink mermaid princesses can decipher the message. Therefore, I cannot give a translation. (j/k))

Demonlink: Personally, I'm rather not fond of your Koten screens. I for one have never been a huge fan of those clouds since they seem like mountains recoloured to black. Also I am curious if these clouds would even fit in with NES restrictions. Besides the clouds, the colours you chose seem really strange and not in a surreal sense either. Sorry if I'm tearing this to pieces, I just didn't expect you would make something I wouldn't like. :(

However, I will say the screen structure getup is nice and it's unique to see dungeon walls as the dungeon entrance. :)

legend27: Where to begin? I really love your palette choice (Sheik's Deepwood Shades palette, right?) but the design choices seem a bit random to me. I really love the way you are going for an enchanting mystical forest but however, I don't think spamming mushrooms and flowers is going to achieve that effect fully. Use forest brush to block the spaces you don't want Link to walk on instead. And then use mushrooms and flowers as secondary backup source of solidity and do not put them on the very edge of the screen.

The Catfish's Maw dungeon entrance tiles do seem a bit odd, but I'll let it slide. It's a really nice screen with big potential. :)

Lightwulf: Looks great! I'll admit I was a bit confused at first; I thought the red stuff was lava! :P I realized the black tiles were pits soon after, so no worries. Besides the fantastic mountain usage, there's nothing special that the shot has to offer. I'm just not "feeling" it you know? Still, an overall lovely screen with no flaws from what I see. :)

Avataro: I would of voted here for two reasons. a) Because your video told me to and b) I really love your use or Pure Remembrance... it feels like a breath of fresh air. I'll admit I would of loved to see a different, more brighter and less stale palette used, but the atmosphere I get from it makes up for the lack of such a palette. :D

Edited by Charizard, 04 June 2014 - 12:46 AM.

• Lightwulf likes this

#23 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:34 AM

Charizard - Magnifico

Demonlink - I dunno, this just feels haphazard to me. As a screen in a quest, I'm betting it wouldn't really be as big of a deal but as a featured screenshot, it just doesn't seem to stand up that well. I'm also not personally a huge fan of the semi-transparent fog everywhere.

legend27 - There sure area a lot of colors on this screen. Maybe too many? I think that there's a lot going on here but overall it doesn't stand out all that well. It also has a lot of that semi-transparent fog that I'm not a huge fan of.

Lightwulf - Sometimes, simplicity can lead to a good screen. This screen provides a lot of intrigue, such as wondering what could be along this red path? I'm not a huge fan of the coloring of the shadows on the keese/bats, but that's not a huge issue overall here.

Avataro - Sometimes, however, simplicity can be taken too far. This screenshot reminds me of a well-crafted hamburger. It may be delicious, but at the end of the day it's still a hamburger. I will say however, that this screen as a part of a quest could be the most effective of them all, but it doesn't do much for me as a featured shot.

Voting for Lightwulf this week, but great stuff from everyone! :)

#24 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:40 AM

Spoiler

yo Charizard! The SotW style

Edited by Avataro, 04 June 2014 - 11:42 AM.

• Shane, Eddy, Haylee and 1 other like this

#25 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

OMG yes.

#26 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:40 AM

That made my morning XD

That should also be the mascot of SotW

• Shane and Avaro like this

#27 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:36 PM

With 41.27% of the vote, the winner of Screenshot of the Week 458 is Demonlink!

Demonlink.jpg

Congratulations!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Demonlink, Charizard, legend27, Lightwulf, Avataro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users