Photo

Map of the Month 14

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

Poll: MotM 14 (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favorite map!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:06 PM

Map of the Month 14

Welcome to the newest edition of Map of the Month.

Quite a lot has happened this last month:
Map of the Year was held, MotM has officially been running for a year and most importantly,
Linkus joined the Map of the Month team.
We also got a new place to submit maps, which is called the MotM Dropbox. It can be found as a sub-forum in the Map of the Month forum... or here if you're lazy.

Be sure to use this though. Any submissions through PM's will be disqualified.
Anyways, let's get on with this, shall we?

We've got another three hefty maps, waiting for your evaluation and vote.

Sheik
Outdated...of course.

CastChaos
The spilled blood of genocided Kokiri stains the ground on which Darknuts walk with their trusty Zairy companions in tow.

T Platinum
No Caption

So, get to voting, people!

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:20 PM

Sheik: Even if it is outdated, it's good. I spot a Deku. Me liky. icon_razz.gif

CastChaos: That's awfully depressing. Couldn't there at least be one Kokiri left?

T. Platinum: I'm a sucker for Pure. *votes*

#3 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:26 PM

I voted for Sheik, even though it is outdated, cause it look good to me! icon_biggrin.gif

#4 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:49 PM

Sheiks map Outdated icon_eek.gif hate to see the Dated versiron

i love the Fan it makes it wind theme to it puzzles are good and your sure your apart the GBA/C? man it looks like you have

Edited by Midnight_King, 31 May 2009 - 05:55 PM.

#5 LordOPie

LordOPie

Initiate

• Members

Posted 31 May 2009 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE(Migokalle @ May 31 2009, 05:06 PM) View Post

Map of the Month 13

Yep, it's MotM 13 all right. Just like it says in the topic title... icon_heh.gif

Anyways, I voted for Shiek. Normally I GB, but for some reason I really like this one.

#6 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:37 PM

I votes for sheik.

Nice maps to everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

#7 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:23 PM

I voted for Sheik.

CastChaos - I don't like the overall design of your screen. Your mountains are too straight and your use of colors is just terrible. It looked like you grabbed random tiles and put them in random paces without thought at all.

T. Platnium - Your overall layout is great but it doesn't give me that wow factor. It's still a great map.

#8 Ricky of Kokiri

Ricky of Kokiri

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:02 AM

Sheik: You call that outdated? icon_freak.gif I long to make screens that good.

CastChaos: I'm kinda fifty-fifty on this. Being somewhat familiar with the original Kokiri Downtown in BoaB (I played through it twice on my bug hunts), I don't think the current design does your story justice. Why would the Darknuts destroy the houses, instead of just moving in? On the other hand, since they did destroy the buildings, I'd expect a lot more rubble- not just a big dirt/sand patch... and I don't think the sand works at all, actually. Or, alternatively, a bunch of ruined buildings (or remains of buildings) would be good. As it is, there is very little sign of carnage, persecution, and wanton destruction- not that I want bloodbaths, but if that's how the story goes, the map should match (a whole bunch of standard skeleton tiles in one condensed area doesn't do the job for me). For a reference, the village in Lost Isle did a great job of depicting death and abandonment... and I think that's what you want to be going for here. Right now, to me, the map is just a uninhabited field, and the player has to remember BoaB and/or take the word of the NPCs about what used to be there.

T.Platinum: It looks decent. No flaws that I can see... it looks fine, really, but it's Pure, and as such I feel like I've seen it before. >_> It is good, though.

Voted for Sheik.

#9 Prophecy Face

Prophecy Face

Junior

• Members

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:14 AM

Sheik, that might be the coolest GB dungeon I've ever seen. *votes*

#10 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:29 AM

QUOTE(Ricky of Kokiri @ Jun 2 2009, 07:02 AM) View Post

CastChaos: I'm kinda fifty-fifty on this. Being somewhat familiar with the original Kokiri Downtown in BoaB (I played through it twice on my bug hunts), I don't think the current design does your story justice. Why would the Darknuts destroy the houses, instead of just moving in? On the other hand, since they did destroy the buildings, I'd expect a lot more rubble- not just a big dirt/sand patch... and I don't think the sand works at all, actually. Or, alternatively, a bunch of ruined buildings (or remains of buildings) would be good. As it is, there is very little sign of carnage, persecution, and wanton destruction- not that I want bloodbaths, but if that's how the story goes, the map should match (a whole bunch of standard skeleton tiles in one condensed area doesn't do the job for me). For a reference, the village in Lost Isle did a great job of depicting death and abandonment... and I think that's what you want to be going for here. Right now, to me, the map is just a uninhabited field, and the player has to remember BoaB and/or take the word of the NPCs about what used to be there.

Kokiri Downtown was built by darknuts (and enslaved kokiri), but after BB, the darknuts decided on a more country-type life. 16 years passed, more than enough to clear all the possible rubble.
That's for story. The map, itself, is horribly outdated, not like anybody commented on those things that changed or are too relevant, except for that sand... It's there for I associate it with strenght (and so Strenght as a fantasy Power) and summer.

Russ:
If that's really depressing, then I leave it as it is. A quest must have extremes to be even more different than others and just for drama and whatnot. Altough it's sure an injustice that darknuts aren't questioned for their act. This plot element has much potential.

As for other's maps, I nulled, but I could have voted for Sheik, too. (I don't really consider myself a participant with that outdated map.) I would have voted for T.Platinum if he showed more detail and maybe some unique or rarely used tiles (preferably with big objects, like an igloo or a huge fallen tree connecting two elevations).

#11 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:45 AM

Wow, Sheik it is then!
T. Platinum's looks pretty good too, but Sheik's is quite a bit better.
A palette which isn't a default in Pure might help, T.P.

#12 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:07 AM

Thanks you guys for all the feedback =). I'm glad you like it.

CC: Well, I don't know what to think about the map. It's quite style clashy and some of the tiles do not really make sense. Just take the Subrosian. Is he making vacation in the Darknut forest? You improved on your use of detail that much, that it feels to busy. Maybe it's just me. Hiowever, it's still better than the maps of BB.

T.P: I actually like it quite a lot. However, to me, a winter area has to fit one of these feelings: 1. a welcome-feeling, calm and fabolous , or 2. a Damn-it's-c-c-c-cold-feeling, hostile and well, cold. Of course there still is the thing in between both. But the two I named are a lot more interesting I guess. There may be other but I can't think of them spontanous.

Edited by Sheik, 02 June 2009 - 05:31 AM.

#13 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:48 AM

Obviously my vote goes to Shiek.

Cast chaos - maybe it will look better if you didn't put random tiles on the screens just for the heck of it.

T.Platinum - The Map look Nice, but it was a tough choice.

#14 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE(Christian @ Jun 2 2009, 12:48 PM) View Post

Cast chaos - maybe it will look better if you didn't put random tiles on the screens just for the heck of it.

Random tiles where? You sound completely like you're just copying what others say.

#15 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ Jun 2 2009, 10:34 AM) View Post

Random tiles where? You sound completely like you're just copying what others say.

If others sees it, we all see it. And i think is something that's already been stated numerous times.

But as CastChaos said, it's an outdated map.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users