Photo

Map of the Month 6

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Map of the Month 6 (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for the best map!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:29 AM

Map of the Month 6
Dogfight

Hello ladies and.. other ladies!
Welcome to another edition of Map of the Month!
This time, we've got two entries, so this will be one hefty one on one dogfight!
So, instead of making up some stuff to write here, let the fun begiiiiiiiiiiin........

Moonwhisper - No caption
Purplemandown - No caption

No one's using the upgraded caption system icon_frown.gif

Anyways, vote!
And remember, don't vote for your best friend, vote for the best MAP!

#2 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:36 AM

Okay just because I have a soft spot in my heart for Classic tilesets, I went with Moonwhisper. I loved the layout of the entire overworld and your use of the tiles. Wasn't anything TOO exciting or new looking, but I just liked it better.

Purplemandown, I almost voted for you. I just love your dungeon, it's very cool looking. Looks almost like an official dungeon you'd see in LttP or something. Good job!!

#3 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:54 AM

I don't like Classic. I think it's too clunky. icon_frown.gif

Purplemandown's map is sexy, but there's a ton of lava in there for some reason or another. Probably because it's a lava dungeon. Therefore, I vote for the purple man with vertigo.

#4 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:21 AM

don't like either, null.

#5 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:22 PM

I like Moonwhisper's most because it's very cool looking. The design is also very good as well as the palettes used.

Purplemandown's is a REALLY good Pure dungeon in my opinion, only some parts make no sense to me.

#6 jerome

jerome

"Ducks eat for free at Subway"

• Members

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:06 PM

Moonwhisper's looks like other fancy tileset maps, but done in classic. Too me, at least, it seems crowded for a classic style quest. This kind of design seems to be catching on though. It still looks really good. I like the use of palletes as others have mentioned. Lots of areas too.

Purplemandown's dungeon looks pretty cool too. I like lava and dark colors, and this has both.

I have to go with Moonwhisper's on this vote. It seems pretty well done, and I still think the planning he has would be better executed in a fancier tileset because of the layout he currently has. I like the classic tileset. But I think classic tends to be a more "open area" style of tileset than some of the other tilesets that almost require busy-ness to the screens like you have in yours.

#7 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:10 PM

Moonwhisper. It's a nice classic map, and looks very good. Purplemandown's is a little too square-shaped for me

#8 AaronJer

AaronJer

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:11 AM

QUOTE(Excelsior @ Sep 30 2008, 07:54 AM) View Post

I don't like Classic. I think it's too clunky. icon_frown.gif

Tch. Classic ain't clunky. And I can prove it! But people might get mad if I posted a map here...

#9 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:28 AM

MW Gets my vote. Design is probably one of the most important elements in graphics.

#10 AaronJer

AaronJer

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:32 AM

I voted for MW's because I DO like classic. I still didn't like that map very much, but I dislike anything SNES looking in ZC. Ya know... just because it's classic it isn't a life sentencing to making things squared off... one of the best things about making it look classic is that it's REALLY easy to make your own transition tiles. You don't need things to sharply cut off from being brown rocks to grey rocks... it would only take like 30 minutes to make a full set of transition tiles for that.

Edited by AaronJer, 01 October 2008 - 06:35 AM.

#11 jerome

jerome

"Ducks eat for free at Subway"

• Members

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:24 AM

I agree. When I was making my quest, squared off sand tiles would drive me nuts. So I had to make them. then there were some other single tile that needed work. And another... In classic its extremely easy to change.

Maybe up in the mountainous areas, make them look slightly seperated. Maybe not so straight lined either. But then again, it's classic style.

#12 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:17 PM

I voted for MoonWhisper. Very nice use of the classic tileset. icon_thumbsup.gif
Purplemandown's map is somewhat alright, but I don't like the fact some objects appear to be floating without any support, for example, the bridges around that center area of the map. icon_blind.gif

#13 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:33 PM

Moonwhisper. The pallettes are flawless and superior use of the tiles

#14 AaronJer

AaronJer

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:43 PM

I do agree that the palettes are very nice... makes me remember I eventually need to alter mine from the original colors.

#15 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:39 PM

Moonwhisper- epicness. Good classic map. My only complaints are the large amount of bushes all over the left as boarders and the random-ish pillar things in the top right.

Purplemandown- not a bad dungeon at all, the design looks good and all that. But the lava is too repetitive(try DoR lava) and the boarders are incorrect often. Not bad, but not great.

To reiterate, Moonwhisper FTW.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users