Need an opinion on these palettes...

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:06 AM

Yep, when you're painting those guidelines will integrate naturally, but on the computer it's all too easy to generate shades by simply reducing value. The reasoning for this has to do with color temperature which I can explain with science if you'd like.

Edited by anikom15, 25 April 2014 - 01:06 AM.

#32 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

Well, the rain seems off-color (I've never seen green rain before!), but that might just be the wrong CSet used.

Overall though, great job! :)  However, it looks more like a cloudy jungle (which is understandable considering you added rain to the picture).  If you wanted a jungle without clouds, go with brighter colors.  Also, try to implement some bright colors for the flowers, if possible.  That might just require a separate, recolored tile if replacing the white with color affects other things not looking right.  Recoloring (copied) flower tiles isn't hard to do.

The rain was due for me using an off cset :P I'll see what I can do for the brighter colors for flowers, because I don't think they will affect the rest of the palette, but i'm not sure, thanks by the way :)

Your grass colours in the autumn/spring shots are insanely high contrasted. You need to darken your midtones, because at the moment they're almost indistinguishable from the highlights and stand out like crazy against the shadows.

You don't have enough tonal contrast (i.e. difference in brightness) between the grass and mountains in your autumn shot. Fixing the midtone issue should help this, but if not you'll need to bump that up (just darken the grass slightly - should do it).

What (I assume) anikom15 was maybe referring to by "monochromatic" is that there's no hue shifting across your colour ramps - for example your leaf colours are just the same green but at different brightnesses. As a general rule of thumb, highlights should be shifted a little bit towards yellow (i.e. the brightest greens should be yellowy-green) and shadows should be shifted towards blue/purple (so your darkest greens should be bluey-green). Gives your palettes a bit more life.

This will help me fix these and future palettes. I thank you for your detailed tips Noel :) And to see if I understood, tonal contrast is basically how brightness affects the look of the tile? Again, I thank you 

Yep, when you're painting those guidelines will integrate naturally, but on the computer it's all too easy to generate shades by simply reducing value. The reasoning for this has to do with color temperature which I can explain with science if you'd like.

I would like to, I bet it has to do with Color Addition right? :D

Edited by Demonlink, 25 April 2014 - 11:17 AM.

#33 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

Trying to follow what Noel meant, I did a few adjustments to Golden Autumn:

zelda009_zps9bc85031.png

I slightly darkened the grass, followed by an adjustment to the water tones.

#34 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

Trying to follow what Noel meant, I did a few adjustments to Golden Autumn:

zelda009_zps9bc85031.png

I slightly darkened the grass, followed by an adjustment to the water tones.

You REALLY need to darken your midtones here. It's nearly impossible to see the highlights in the grass, and it makes the dark spots look unnecessarily dark. Bring your middle orange down a bit, to something right between your darkest and lightest.

#35 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

Hmmmm, I hope I nailed it this time:

zelda019_zps2e967732.png

Better?

#36 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:01 PM

Ah!  It definitely looks better to me. :)

However, I'm wondering if that same midtone should be a little darker.  (I've only made Classic-based palettes, so I don't have experience with these kind.)  By instinct, I would guess that the midtone should be halfway between the lightest tone and the nearby darker tone.  I'm not sure if I'm right on that, though.  :-/

• Demonlink likes this

#37 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:57 PM

Ah!  It definitely looks better to me. :)

However, I'm wondering if that same midtone should be a little darker.  (I've only made Classic-based palettes, so I don't have experience with these kind.)  By instinct, I would guess that the midtone should be halfway between the lightest tone and the nearby darker tone.  I'm not sure if I'm right on that, though.  :-/

I'm not sure about that too, because according to the palette, the grass uses 3 color tones, and the midtone is already between the lightest and darkest, I could try though, just to see how it would look like ;) (Thanks by the way :) )

Edited by Demonlink, 25 April 2014 - 10:57 PM.

#38 GameLegacy

GameLegacy

That Guy In The Corner

• Members

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:04 AM

I really like the scheme/palette for Autumn. I'd use it anytime!

• Demonlink likes this

#39 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:35 AM

Your monitor might not be the best for colour management so the contrast might look more pronounced to you than it actually is.

Here, I made a quick palette change showing the hue shifting I was talking about (see how the leaf shadows are reddy-pink rather than orange). Changed the grass colour too because there was too much orange going on, though now the tree shadows look a little weird. Could still use some balancing but it's a start:

zelda019_zps2e967732NOEL.png
  • Jared likes this

#40 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:25 AM

Your monitor might not be the best for colour management so the contrast might look more pronounced to you than it actually is.Here, I made a quick palette change showing the hue shifting I was talking about (see how the leaf shadows are reddy-pink rather than orange). Changed the grass colour too because there was too much orange going on, though now the tree shadows look a little weird. Could still use some balancing but it's a start:zelda019_zps2e967732NOEL.png

Well, that's WAY better than I've done, balanced or not, it looks perfect to me. I thank you for your help NoeL! :D I'll fix mine when I get to my PC. Thank you once again. (And I'll see what I can do about the shadows for them to look okay ;) )

Edit: Looks like the shadows, grass highlights and tree leaves all use the same colors, so technically, I think I'll need to make an adjustment.

Edited by Demonlink, 28 April 2014 - 07:03 PM.

#41 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:35 PM

If you have a crummy monitor, you can use your cell phone. They have good screens, even some older ones. The DS also has a good screen.

#42 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:55 PM

If you have a crummy monitor, you can use your cell phone. They have good screens, even some older ones. The DS also has a good screen.

Not sure if it's the monitor,  my lap's 1 year and a half old. It might be due to me tweaking the Graphics Card options, I set it to max Saturation, thus very bright colors on it :D

#43 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:25 AM

Oh wow, that fall that Noel made looks really good, even though it needs just a few edits like Demonlink said. :D

#44 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

Not sure if it's the monitor, my lap's 1 year and a half old. It might be due to me tweaking the Graphics Card options, I set it to max Saturation, thus very bright colors on it :D

It's not the age that matters. It's the type. CRTs and OLED are the best, followed by high-end LCDs, like what Apple uses for their computers.
  • Demonlink likes this

#45 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

Well, thanks to DoR's Palette arrangement, I couldn't fix the shadows in Noel's Palette because the Treetops must match the grass color shades in order for the shadows to look OK. (Damn, his looked so freaking awesome! :O ) Yet, I fiddled around a bit with his palette and made this:

zelda008_zps78824820.png

I changed everything except the grass colors. Can this replace my autumn shot? Credits to Noel for his original palette.

Edited by Demonlink, 29 April 2014 - 07:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users