• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:36 PM

I want Link to have bigger hearts on the Passive Subscreen. Bigger than a quarter tile. Oh, and there should be 10 hearts in each row. But if that's not possible, that's okay. Can anyone help? icon_smile.gif
Also, how do I set up quarter hearts?
On another note, does anyone recommend any good heart tiles?

Oh, and another small question regarding magic. Like in Ocarina of Time, Link gets the small magic, and then the double. Is there a way I can do this too? Start off with the small half magic, and then get the double with one container? (Or however I decide to do it)

#2 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE(Lynker @ Jul 4 2011, 04:36 PM) View Post

I want Link to have bigger hearts on the Passive Subscreen. Bigger than a quarter tile. Oh, and there should be 10 hearts in each row. But if that's not possible, that's okay. Can anyone help? icon_smile.gif
Also, how do I set up quarter hearts?
On another note, does anyone recommend any good heart tiles?

Oh, and another small question regarding magic. Like in Ocarina of Time, Link gets the small magic, and then the double. Is there a way I can do this too? Start off with the small half magic, and then get the double with one container? (Or however I decide to do it)

I don't know about the heart containers but for magic you can use an item script that doubles his max MP. Just a minute and I'll post an example script.

CODE
item script DoubleMagicMeter{
    void run(){
        Link->MaxMP = Link->MaxMP * 2;
    }
}
This goes in the pickup script slot for a custom item class item that looks like a magic container but really is a custom item. icon_razz.gif

Edited by blackbishop89, 04 July 2011 - 05:41 PM.

#3 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

Ahh, that was perfect! Thanks a bunch, Matthew! I guess we work together pretty well, huh? icon_smile.gif

#4 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE(Lynker @ Jul 4 2011, 04:50 PM) View Post

Ahh, that was perfect! Thanks a bunch, Matthew! I guess we work together pretty well, huh? icon_smile.gif

Yeah I guess we do, I'll look into the heart container thing.

EDIT: It's possible only by working with life gauge pieces. You'll set the container value for 4 pieces to the same value and just give them different graphics. As for quarter hearts: there's a quest rule for that. But that only effects the life meter object not the life gauge pieces which have it enabled by default.

Oh and call be blackbishop please. icon_smile.gif

Edited by blackbishop89, 04 July 2011 - 06:19 PM.

#5 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:17 PM

Alright, thanks a whole bunch icon_smile.gif

#6 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE(Lynker @ Jul 4 2011, 05:17 PM) View Post

Alright, thanks a whole bunch icon_smile.gif

Updated post. Check it out icon_wink.gif

#7 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:21 PM

Oh, okay. I kind of get it. But, i'll just stick with small harts for now.
And sure, I'll call you BlackBishop. Thanks again!

#8 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE(Lynker @ Jul 4 2011, 05:21 PM) View Post

Oh, okay. I kind of get it. But, i'll just stick with small harts for now.
And sure, I'll call you BlackBishop. Thanks again!

Yeah we need a guide that explains how the various subscreen stuff works. Custom subscreens are a real pain in the ass to assemble if you don't know a damn thing about the editor.

#9 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

Heh, this is a funny coincidence. In my thread: Get Item on specific Heart Container?
(also on this board)

I am using the script blackbishop89 provided to make my hearts bigger.

You see, I have an overlay Tile Block (let's call it "X") on my Passive Subscreen
that uses CSet6. But Tile Block X matches exactly the Tile Block underneath it.
However when Link gets the Heart Container specified in the script, he also gets
a Ring Item, which changes CSet 6 to another palette so that Tile Block X becomes
visible.

Tile Block X is adjacent to the actual Heart Container, and makes it look bigger.
Of course Tile Block X is just a Heart Container outline in my case, which means
that the depletion of health still works correctly.

The heart tiles I am using are taken straight from The Minish Cap.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure what you mean by setting up 'quarter hearts'.
Do you mean changing the tiles for quarter hearts?
Do you mean pieces of heart?
Do you mean you want Link to only take a quarter heart of damage? (Blue Ring does that, doesn't it?)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aren't there aren't any subscreen tutorials on PureZC? I'm almost done editing my
custom passive subscreen, so I might be able to get something started.
But it would just cover how to change what is already there and add new
graphics.

Edited by Cukeman, 04 July 2011 - 07:12 PM.

#10 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:00 PM

Ohh, that's confusing icon_razz.gif
And yes, quarter hearts as in taking the damage. But I got it all already icon_smile.gif
Can you show me where you got the MC hearts? icon_smile.gif

#11 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE(Lynker @ Jul 4 2011, 07:00 PM) View Post

Can you show me where you got the MC hearts? icon_smile.gif

Minish Cap Hearts

What I described above is not as hard as it sounds, and it only means that I have to add
a single column of three pixels on the left edge of the 11th heart - that's all. The pixels
on the left edge of the first heart are built in to the subscreen background.

(The Minish Cap hearts I am using are all missing the left column of pixels, but since they touch
each other, it doesn't matter)

Edited by Cukeman, 04 July 2011 - 07:12 PM.

#12 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:25 PM

I'm sorry, I still don't understand.

Anyway, I decided I'm going to scrap magic form my quest. After all, the only item that would be using it would be the candle. And it's just a waste of space.

So, I'm going to do the big hearts. I found the sprites I want already.
They're a whole tile.
Can anyone explain to exactly how to do it?

#13 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:55 AM

QUOTE(blackbishop89 @ Jul 4 2011, 03:38 PM) View Post
I don't know about the heart containers but for magic you can use an item script that doubles his max MP. Just a minute and I'll post an example script.

CODE
item script DoubleMagicMeter{
    void run(){
        Link->MaxMP = Link->MaxMP * 2;
    }
}
This goes in the pickup script slot for a custom item class item that looks like a magic container but really is a custom item. icon_razz.gif

Your script looks like it technically does what was requested, but there is a potential problem.

If Link starts off with a set amount of magic and does NOT acquire regular ZC magic containers, the script will work like OoT. But Link will have to begin with a larger magic meter that does not change size.

Once you throw regular magic containers into the mix, something becomes very important: WHEN the magic-doubling item is picked up. If you pick it up before acquiring any regular magic containers, then the maximum meter size will be much smaller.

The script can be used if this rule is followed. But a similar result should be possible without scripts:

1. First, set Link's Init max MP. Keep track of the number.

2. Now, go into the item editor and edit the magic container item. Make sure it increases Link's max MP by the same number as the Init max MP.

Thus, a single magic container will effectively double the size of the initial magic meter, since it increases the size by the same value as the initial size of the meter. I haven't tested this yet, but the only possible problem would be if the MP number is too big for the item editor to handle. However, I don't see why it would be.

P.S. -

Forgot about the bigger hearts question.

I'm fairly certain it is possible to have larger hearts, since I created something similar for DoR (still ironing out the bugs). However, doing so requires messing around with Life Gauge Pieces. Basically, on a normal custom subscreen, each full heart is one object. To make the hearts bigger, you will need to create four objects for each heart, and assign different graphics to each one.

The concept is not necessarily THAT much more complicated than Life Gauge Pieces normally are... but it IS extremely time-consuming to set up. You'll be spending ore than four times assembling it as you would for a normal life meter comprised of Life Gauge Pieces. I'm not sure whether it's worth the extra trouble you'd have to go through. Life Gauge Pieces (along with Magic Gauge Pieces) are basically the most advanced aspect of custom subscreens, without throwing scripting into the mix.

#14 Chakaa

Chakaa

Hench 4 Life

• Members

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

You don't need a script to have OoT style magic, can't you just use String Control Codes to give the small amount once (and check if you already have it so you don't get it more than once) and do the same for the full meter? That's what I'm doing in my quest.

#15 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

I wonder if you might use a script that link got say... 4 magic meter upgrades at a time, and do it twice?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users