Arrows/walls

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:47 AM

Hmmm. It's possible I ended up moving the tiles down two pages without realizing I had the wrong numbering. Funny that nobody's mentioned that until now. Perhaps I'll update the tileset on the site to reflect that. Thanks for mentioning it.

Anyway, it sounds like you got it right already, but to set it up correctly with the default, either move the tiles up two pages or add 520 to each value it tells you to use. I think that'll do it.

#32 Blue

Blue

Initiate

• Members

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:45 AM

I'm curious about something regarding doors in my first dungeon. On floor 2 there is a room where you kill Stalfos to unlock the south door. Proceeding from that room are about 5 other rooms total where you have to find the bow and keys. I'm worried about the Stalfos coming back when you're down there and lock you in. I tried going back and forth a couple of times between wings and went back to the Stalfos room and they weren't there and the door opened automatically, but the moment I go to the room north of that the enemies respawn, and when I go back into the Stalfos room they're there as well and the door is closed. I have to kill them to open the door again.

So, related to this, I'm asking.

1) What are the chances of the Stalfos respawning when you're in the southern sets of rooms, locking you in?

2) Is there a way to make the Stalfos not come back?

3) Is there a way to keep the door from ever closing again after the enemies in that room are killed the first time? (I tried permanent secret and it didn't work).

I'm on the interior Dmap.

#33 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:05 AM

If you are using the standard ZC door sets you have nothing to worry about. It will let you through the door and shut behind you just like in the original Zelda. If you are just using doors that you placed with secrets to open them, then the solution is to put a Trigger Secrets combo behind the door, so that if you enter from behind the door, it will open. That's what I do. Then you can put the top of the door on a layer to cover the Trigger Secrets combo.

#34 Blue

Blue

Initiate

• Members

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE(Praethus @ Dec 6 2009, 12:05 PM) View Post

If you are using the standard ZC door sets you have nothing to worry about. It will let you through the door and shut behind you just like in the original Zelda. If you are just using doors that you placed with secrets to open them, then the solution is to put a Trigger Secrets combo behind the door, so that if you enter from behind the door, it will open. That's what I do. Then you can put the top of the door on a layer to cover the Trigger Secrets combo.

Thanks, I'll try to do that. I'm using secrets for my doors.

I'm having another problem with arrows and walls. I decided to make it so the border walls (the ones that border the walls and roof like at the top of doors) are the Block All combo; however, that's supposed to be No Flying Enemies, which makes the Keese and stuff go into annoying places. While the arrows work great, I need the flying enemies to not go past those areas.

If I attempt to block them using layers, the combos don't work.

Does anyone have a convenient method to block arrows so they do go on walls but do not pass borders, while maintaining the enemy block physics?

#35 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:53 PM

You could try combo cycling. Have two sets of wall combos: No Enemies and Block All. Then you can cycle them really quickly back and forth so it would appear to have both combo types. Or you could set your inner walls to Block Arrow and your outer walls to No Enemies.

#36 Blue

Blue

Initiate

• Members

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:37 PM

In the DoR tileset there are scroll tiles that require "8-bit combine" or something like that to put together because the graphics are separate. Does anybody know how to do that?

#37 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:43 PM

8-bit mode is when a tile uses all colors available. You can set 8-bit mode by pressing... B if I remember correctly, after being an avid user of 8-bit tile mode, that process of it became memorable only as needed. icon_heh.gif

you probably want to use Shift + B and convert the tiles you want to combine to make them look right to you, then copy one, and press O when you're on the other. This will combine them under 8-bit mode.

#38 Blue

Blue

Initiate

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:33 AM

Thanks, it worked.

In the subscreen editor, how do you add a section for arrows? I tried making a Counter multiple times and it won't work properly, I did all kinds of different things and nothing will show up except an empty box with an A or something, shaped oddly. I managed to make the item screen on my own but I can't get the counter to work.

Edit: Also, what does the Stone of Agony do in this?

Edited by Blue, 07 December 2009 - 01:41 AM.

#39 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:59 AM

I think the Stone of Agony makes Link shake if he gets close to a secret. Or it makes something on the screen shake, at any rate. Because ZC can't make your controller vibrate. icon_razz.gif

I don't think there's any practical way to block arrows in 2.10. The only things that make them disappear upon impact are enemies and secret flags. Neither of those are practical methods for blocking an arrow. (There's a specific reason why arrow flags aren't practical for this purpose; I've tried using them to block arrows in 2.10 and encountered a very strange bug...)

#40 Blue

Blue

Initiate

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Dec 7 2009, 07:59 AM) View Post

I think the Stone of Agony makes Link shake if he gets close to a secret. Or it makes something on the screen shake, at any rate. Because ZC can't make your controller vibrate. icon_razz.gif

I don't think there's any practical way to block arrows in 2.10. The only things that make them disappear upon impact are enemies and secret flags. Neither of those are practical methods for blocking an arrow. (There's a specific reason why arrow flags aren't practical for this purpose; I've tried using them to block arrows in 2.10 and encountered a very strange bug...)

I tested the Stone of Agony multiple times and I didn't notice anything happen at all on the screen.

I'm using 2.5 with the arrow block functions, but to use the arrow block functions on walls I have to sacrifice the no-flying-enemies function and it's causing problems.

Also, I noticed another critical problem when testing. The hookshot item goes through things if you're close enough to them, like a cliff. If you're one block away from a cliff and you shoot the hookshot, it will bounce off. If you are standing right next to the cliff and you use it, it will go through the cliff and attach to something and bring you through it. Is there no way to fix this?

And yet another question, how do you set it so a boomerang can pick up a level key?

#41 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:25 PM

Ok, one answer at a time, lol.

Arrow Counter: Add the counter to your Passive Subscreen. Then make sure its set to count Arrows. You can choose how many digits to display and what font to use. Then you set where the counter should display on the subscreen. In the Editor it will show the A symbol which is the default for infinite, but in game, it should display the actual amount of arrows.

Stone Of Agony: Is supposed to cause Link to vibrate near a secret. I haven't messed with it any to know how it works. I'll try it out later and see if I have any success with it.

Hookshot: This can happen if your solidity is only have a tile wide. The hookshot will reach past the solidity and keep going. Really, the only way to fix this is to make sure you have more than half of a tile of solidity when you want to stop the hookshot.

Boomerang: I came up with a couple of options here. First, you could set the rules Rang/HShot Grab All Items. This will let the boomerang grab any item including HCPs and equipment. Not the best solution.

The second solution involves a little trickery. You could create a new item with a type that the Boomerang will pick up, such as a heart or rupee. But instead of it increasing your health or rupees, you could have it increase your Level Key count. Counter Reference 5 is for Keys.

#42 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:43 PM

I can help you with the Stone of Agony. Open it in the item editor (Quest->Items), and set the vibration frequency to something big, like 150 - 200. Then, walk near a secret flag. You should see Link start vibrating. A whole lot.

#43 Blue

Blue

Initiate

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:39 PM

The Stone of Agony is still not working, even after playing with sensitivity and vibration.

Also, the hookshot combo tile thing didn't work.

#44 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:11 PM

Interesting. Perhaps its broken? I'll give it a few tests later tonight. I should really test it because the Agony stone is sort of a plot item in my game icon_razz.gif

#45 Blue

Blue

Initiate

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:19 PM

The hookshot is the item I'm most worried about at the moment because it's a key thing in my game and I can't get it to stop glitching even with the advice I received.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users