A few questions from a newbie...

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 Rossk

Rossk

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:10 PM

By 'upload sound' do you mean 'add to quest'?

Erm...yeah.

And Joe, I figured that message box thing out.

I can't find how to slash though. There was a scroll item for the charge, but not slash.

I've got a couple more questions for now relating to items. I totally edited the hookshot item to be a whip, however it won't let me use that item when I get it in the game. This also happens with some other items, but not others. It's happened with the sword before, but in this one quest it doesn't work with the hammer either, so I know I didn't accidentally mess something up when I was editing the weapon. I can use certain other items though, like the boomerang. Any reason this might happen? icon_blink.gif

Then, I was wondering if there was a way to set where an item is if you go to Data->Item and choose one. It always just gets placed in the upper left corner or somewhere in the middle. Is there some way to place it manually, or is there some other way to do it?

#32 MrMister

MrMister

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE(Rossk @ Jul 27 2009, 09:10 PM) View Post
I've got a couple more questions for now relating to items. I totally edited the hookshot item to be a whip, however it won't let me use that item when I get it in the game. This also happens with some other items, but not others. It's happened with the sword before, but in this one quest it doesn't work with the hammer either, so I know I didn't accidentally mess something up when I was editing the weapon. I can use certain other items though, like the boomerang. Any reason this might happen? icon_blink.gif

Sounds like you didn't set the subscreen type to revision 2 or higher. You can't use items that are newer if you use an older subscreen.

#33 Rossk

Rossk

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:24 AM

I definitely didn't. Right now I'm just messing around in a test quest, and I haven't set up a subscreen. That was actually on my to-do list to learn. I saw a guide on doing it, so I guess I'll see about that tomorrow and see if it works for the items (I'm sure that's what the problem is).

Edited by Rossk, 28 July 2009 - 12:24 AM.

#34 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:58 AM

Maybe http://www.shardstorm.com/ZCwiki

might help?

#35 Rossk

Rossk

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:16 AM

The ZCWiki was too incomplete to help me a whole lot. It seemed like everything I really needed didn't have an article. It could be helpful with some things though, so I suppose I could check it out.

#36 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:41 AM

Ah, ok.

Can you number the questions that you are having trouble with?

And i will answer them in the order you placed them. That way, it will be easier and organized for you to come back to it.

#37 Rossk

Rossk

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:25 PM

1. Is it possible to place an item if you go to Screen->Item? If so, how?

2. How to make it so when I talk to people with the NPC script, it doesn't make you talk to them again immediately afterr pressing A. Same goes for the sign post script.

3. How to add sounds to my quest. I tried to go to Quest->Audio->SFX Data, but it won't let me add the sound I'm trying to use. I'm pretty sure I've tried to add both .wavs and .mp3s, so I don't think that's the problem, but it could be.

4. How to get Link to slash.

5. How to make an NPC talk during a cutscene (without pressing any buttons).

That's pretty much it for now.

Edited by Rossk, 28 July 2009 - 07:40 PM.

#38 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:42 PM

1. Yes it's defitnetly possible. What you would need to do is go to Screen->Item and then choose your item that you want to have on the screen. After you choose your item, you would need to set it's X and Y coordinates to be placed wherever you want the item to be.
On the dialog next to where your minimap is, you will se a rupee like icon. Press it, and it will allow you to move your item wherever you'd like.

2.Hmmm do you have the "messages freeze all action" rule on? If not, you can try and use the L button to talk to npcs. How would you this you might ask? well, it's simple. In your NPC script, replace all instances of "Link->InputA" with "Link->InputL" . Doing it that way will allow the player to press L to talk to the NPC and once he presses A, the script will not be triggered again.

3.You can't use MP3s since it is a feature that will be available after version 2.5. Now you can add .WAV files though in the SFX Data dialog. Choose your slot, press the load button, and find your wav file in your directory. It's that simple.

4.You need to go to Quest->Init->Misc and check the little box that saids Slash on the bottom right.

5.To make an NPC talk during a cutscene you would need to do it the 2.10 way using freeform combos. Or, you can have someone write a cutscene script that would let you do that.

Hope that answered your questions.

#39 Rossk

Rossk

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:06 AM

Thanks. That pretty much ansewrs all my questions, except this:

5.To make an NPC talk during a cutscene you would need to do it the 2.10 way using freeform combos. Or, you can have someone write a cutscene script that would let you do that.

Not sure what that way is. icon_razz.gif I tried searching just in case, and there was a topic that sort of explained one-time events in 2.10, but didn't have anything about making message strings appear.

EDIT: While I'm thinking about it, is it possible to make it so a sound plays whenever a certain enemy appears? I'm thinking about making a wolfos sprite, and if I do, I want it to be able to howl every time it appears, just like in the 3D games.

Edited by Rossk, 29 July 2009 - 01:10 AM.

#40 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:17 AM

With a script yes.

Now to make someone talk you're going to have to use the 2.10 way which is placing a transparent "guy" on the screen and create multiple screens of the same one whenever they are done talking.
But with a script is much easier and cleaner though.

The 2.10 way is very ugly, unless you're really experienced with the program and know how to pull it off quite good.

#41 Rossk

Rossk

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:19 AM

Oh. I can see how that could get ugly...

Is there a script already made that I can get to do that? I would much rather do it that way.

#42 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:23 AM

QUOTE(Rossk @ Jul 29 2009, 02:19 AM) View Post

Oh. I can see how that could get ugly...

Is there a script already made that I can get to do that? I would much rather do it that way.

No.

Because a script like that isn't a "Plug n Play" type of thing.

#43 Rossk

Rossk

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:28 AM

Oh. Well that sucks. =/ Is it easy to learn? If I saw a couple examples I might be able to figure it out. If not I would have to either hope someone makes it (them?) for me, or I would have to do the 2.10 way...

#44 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:02 AM

Uh, scripting is not that hard to learn. Although it depends on how the mind of the person works. It does take time to think in coding.

The 2.10 isn't all that bad. You can try a few quest and open it up to see how they went about on doing it. Though the authors of the quests might have their quests passworded so then you can't open it up.

#45 MrMister

MrMister

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:44 AM

Believe me when I say that the 2.10 way is not a bad way making NPC's, if you know what you're doing. My latest quest will incorporate this method.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users