Sorry :( Nintendo told me that we aren't allowed to use their char

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:08 PM

It might be a matter of respect for laws but not for Nintendo. 

-Strike

Why? I mean, SEGA allows fan games, but not Nintendo. So since it's shown that a company can either support fan games or not, it means that this isn't some rule that every company must have, and that Nintendo having the rule means that they don't like them.

Besides, why is the rule solely for me if Nintendo said that they don't let ANYONE use their characters? That means that it's what Nintendo wants everyone to do.

#17 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:32 PM

With all due respect, this topic is ludicrous.

You, an unknown entity, sent a request to a multi-national company, requesting to use their IP for unspecified reasons. They responded to you with a form letter. It's easily possible that your email was scanned by an automated response system, and that no human being ever read it.

If you have an ethical concern, then you should realise that the people to whom you wrote, are not the ones who created the Zelda characters anyway.

That would be this bloke, on the right:

e6890db432309c351f723eb58c155d32-dk9ref.

The attitude in Japan on fan games, is also quite different to that of the North American, or European divisions, which exist solely for marketing games, not designing them.

Miyamoto has an extremely open attitude toward fan-creations, and FWIW, I know people at Nintendo who have used ZC. The entire concept of reacting to the form letter that you received as if it were the Torah, is ridiculous. I don't know what age you are, but that isn't how things work in the real world.

• Neppy, Nathaniel, Anthus and 2 others like this

#18 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:16 AM

With all due respect, this topic is ludicrous.

You, an unknown entity, sent a request to a multi-national company, requesting to use their IP for unspecified reasons. They responded to you with a form letter. It's easily possible that your email was scanned by an automated response system, and that no human being ever read it.

If you have an ethical concern, then you should realise that the people to whom you wrote, are not the ones who created the Zelda characters anyway.

That would be this bloke, on the right:

e6890db432309c351f723eb58c155d32-dk9ref.

The attitude in Japan on fan games, is also quite different to that of the North American, or European divisions, which exist solely for marketing games, not designing them.

Miyamoto has an extremely open attitude toward fan-creations, and FWIW, I know people at Nintendo who have used ZC. The entire concept of reacting to the form letter that you received as if it were the Torah, is ridiculous. I don't know what age you are, but that isn't how things work in the real world.

Well, what IS it supposed to imply? It really seemed to point more towards fan games being disallowed. Unless I can verify a better source, that is the official word on fan games.

Edited by P-Tux7, 22 January 2018 - 12:16 AM.

#19 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:47 AM

Well, what IS it supposed to imply? It really seemed to point more towards fan games being disallowed. Unless I can verify a better source, that is the official word on fan games.

If an automated copypasta response was all it took to change your mind on Zelda fangames, I question why you're even still here discussing it.  :shrug:

Most of us decided a long time ago that we don't give a damn about Nintendo's official stances. If going against the "authority" isn't for you, that's fine, but there's no reason to moralize on deaf ears.

To be clear, I don't mean to push you away or anything. It's just I think you'll find this is a rather difficult point to win because making the argument that we shouldn't make fangames in this community is basically like saying "This community has no right to exist."

• Neppy, Nathaniel, Anthus and 1 other like this

#20 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:32 AM

Nintendo was legally obligated to tell you that unless they wanted to make their brand literally meaningless. They can't openly endorse fan games (no one can) or they invalidate their IP. They can only condone stuff implicitly which is what they do with all fan games. 

-Strike

#21 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:52 AM

Nintendo was legally obligated to tell you that unless they wanted to make their brand literally meaningless. They can't openly endorse fan games (no one can) or they invalidate their IP. They can only condone stuff implicitly which is what they do with all fan games. 

-Strike

https://www.destruct...es-386389.phtml

?

If an automated copypasta response was all it took to change your mind on Zelda fangames, I question why you're even still here discussing it.  :shrug:

Most of us decided a long time ago that we don't give a damn about Nintendo's official stances. If going against the "authority" isn't for you, that's fine, but there's no reason to moralize on deaf ears.

To be clear, I don't mean to push you away or anything. It's just I think you'll find this is a rather difficult point to win because making the argument that we shouldn't make fangames in this community is basically like saying "This community has no right to exist."

That is a good point in the last sentence, but the reason I made the topic in the first place was that this isn't like Zelda Fan Game Central, it's Pure Zelda Classic - it's all about using the ZC editor and playing quests, and since the engine doesn't fall apart without Zelda, neither does the community.

#22 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:55 AM

Yeah exactly they can condone fan games but you can't literally message a company asking if you can use their characters and expect them to say yes. Message Sega with the same wording you used and they would 100% say no.

• Cukeman likes this

#23 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:33 AM

This isn't some new revelation, almost everyone knows about how fan games work. What difference does it make with or without you getting an automated response like that? As others have said, people aren't going to stop because you suddenly quoted something that was pretty obvious to everyone to begin with. People will continue to make Zelda Classic fan games regardless. I'm honestly just surprised you asked Nintendo a question like that as the answer should be fairly obvious I thought.

If you don't want to develop Zelda Classic quests anymore that's perfectly fine, but I don't think a thread like this is going to convince anyone else to quit. :P

• Cukeman likes this

#24 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:44 AM

I can't wait for someone named D-oahr8 to make a topic requesting us all to quit ZC because the tome of satan had something against ripping off corporations.

• Matthew likes this

#25 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:50 AM

What the fuck did you just infringe about my copyright, you little defendant? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in Law School, and I’ve been involved in numerous lawsuits on fortune 500 companies, and I have over 300 confirmed settlements awarded. I am trained in legal warfare and I’m the top lawyer in the entire US justice system. You are nothing to me but just another defendant. I will wipe your bank account the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my firm. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, defendant. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of legal consultants across the USA and your Intellectual Property is being reviewed right now so you better prepare for the storm, defendant. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life savings. You’re fucking sued, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can sue you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my law school textbooks. Not only am I extensively trained in legal loopholes, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Justice System and I will use it to its full extent to sue your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little defendant. If only you could have known what unholy lawsuits your little “clever” slander was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, defendant. I will shit legalese all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking sued, kiddo.

• Anthus, Deedee and Matthew like this

#26 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:37 AM

Just for posterity, I'm going to try and justify what we're doing here ethically as well. Not by the law, because, technically, we're not within that by using this program.

First, the main issue is copyright. While the Zelda games and characters are the Intellectual Property of Nintendo, our use, while not 'fair use' under most legal systems, benefits us only in that we get to enjoy ourselves: we're not selling anything (i.e. not making any profit), and arguably, we're losing out by wasting our time.

Second, custom quests don't hurt Nintendo. I don't speak for absolutely everyone, but the majority of us here are Zelda fans (which is, of course, why we're here), and we'll take whatever Nintendo gives us, assuming we can pay for it. If we weren't going to buy one of Nintendo's games, we probably wouldn't even if ZC didn't exist. I guess the possibility does exist where you could decide not to buy a Zelda game because you have all of these quests here for free, but as far as I can tell, that's a very borderline case.

Taking myself as an example (because I don't know enough about anyone else here) I will admit that I choose not to buy games of Nintendo's big IPs often, but that is solely due to the price, not because ZC is an alternative.

In fact, arguably, we help Nintendo, by keeping the Legend of Zelda alive in at least our little niche community. Every major game that they release (including outside of Zelda) gets its own discussion topic in Gaming and Entertainment, for example. And people who play the quests on here keep their love of Zelda games kindled and tide us over until they release a new game.

In fact, I would even argue that we don't even count as an alternative to Nintendo's products anymore. The last official Zelda game that we could get close to in ZC is A Link Between Worlds, and the last one before that is the Minish Cap. That's two in the last 15 years.

That being said, the fact that the 1st and 2nd quests are here does probably hurt their sales of it on Virtual Console.

Anyway, those are my views. As tl;dr: We don't offer any of Nintendo's products, or equivalents (except for the 1st and 2nd quests), so we don't pose any real threat. To me, that's an ethical justification.

#27 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:21 PM

I don't get what Nintendo not giving us a DMCA has to do with whether we are respecting their wishes or not.

Because nobody's ever guilty until they get caught!

We'll just ride the waves of our crimes until we do, like the fabulous criminals that we are. 

• strike and Matthew like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users