Photo

Screenshot of the Week 338

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
104 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (77 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Vinyl Scratch

Vinyl Scratch

• Members

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:11 PM

I'm crying right now. Rover's screen has touched my heart. I can feel the screen. I feel Rover's torment, and I must say, it is the best screen I've seen in a while...

#17 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:38 PM

Rover - Saw it. "Got" it. Liked it. Didn't vote for it.

Jared - My only criticism is the top left corner. The rock could go one tile to the right so it doesn't line up
so mathematically with the cliff, and the left tree closest to Link could be moved a little farther North.
Also needs a point of interest. A sign, perhaps?

Lightwulf - This screen has lots of originality to it, which won my vote.
Link's white hair and sleeves don't look good though, too much contrast.
Very nice work.

Twilight_Knight - Are those tree trunks, or enemies or what? The Palette seems kind of...
I dunno, there just aren't any dark colors to make it 'pop'

linktopower - Nice idea. Love the spider webs, and props on the Mega Man door. Looks fun.

#18 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:44 PM

Sigh. I should edit all of your avatars and put hipster glasses on them.

#19 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:06 AM

Rover
The plus is because Lithium likes it. Beware the forthcoming hype-- this is ersatz s***. D+

Jared
Pretty average DoR screen. I think the mountains are a bit too crammed into the space; the lower-left corner looks troublesome in terms of walkability and the right edge suffers the same way.

Lightwulf
I think the custom tile work is pretty good and the setting is unique, but it's a pretty simple screen in terms of design.

Twilight_Knight
Got my vote this week. The palette seems a bit washed out and the monster tiles are pretty clashy with the rest of the stuff you've got going on, but otherwise this is a pretty good shot.

linktopower
Cool idea, but it's really just a Gohma. Boss rooms generally aren't that interesting for SotW.

#20 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:10 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Sep 26 2011, 10:44 PM) View Post

Sigh. I should edit all of your avatars and put hipster glasses on them.

I think we should be welcome to have our own opinions. If people like Rover's shot, let them like it. It's not like you can say their opinion is wrong, because it's just that: an opinion.

Also, if Rover wins, correct me if I'm wrong, but this will be the first time ever that a classic shot has won SotW. Not a very good first step, but the same could be said for Obama.

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 27 September 2011 - 12:12 AM.

#21 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:41 AM

Also the first shot with only 1 tile and cset used if this wins! icon_razz.gif

#22 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:01 AM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Sep 26 2011, 10:10 PM) View Post
I think we should be welcome to have our own opinions. If people like Rover's shot, let them like it. It's not like you can say their opinion is wrong, because it's just that: an opinion.

Also, if Rover wins, correct me if I'm wrong, but this will be the first time ever that a classic shot has won SotW. Not a very good first step, but the same could be said for Obama.

I know you're probably just being smart-alecky, but whatever. I'd rather we not bring political opinions in for no reason.

Out of curiosity, I checked the SOTW archive to see how often Classic had won. The SOTW archive topic is sorely lacking updates, so it doesn't have the last 40-50 SOTW winners, but among the ones there, I found two Classic winners:

http://img141.images.../lpsotw1jg5.png
http://www.sotw.pure...W277/Furion.gif

Given, both of these at least have edited palettes, but otherwise they are 80-90% Classic tiles. Classic usually does better than you might expect, if we go by vote count, even though it doesn't often win the contest itself.

Anyway, while I understand the temptation to vote for humor value, I think the other entrants put so much effort into their shots that it'd be rude to ignore them in favor of a joke vote. That's actually the reason why we avoided having "real" entries in the April Fool's Day SOTW last year.

#23 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ Sep 26 2011, 11:56 AM) View Post

I'm not quite sure what those dark spots in Lightwulfs screen or supposed to be... stains or such?

Uhh... How can I make it more obvious that the rug is burnt to a crisp? Seriously though, the smaller dark spots are where it's burnt down to carbon.

QUOTE(Cukeman @ Sep 26 2011, 09:38 PM) View Post

Link's white hair and sleeves don't look good though, too much contrast.

Heh heh... icon_heh.gif That's not his normal color. He's flashing from being hurt. That's why I added "Ouch!" to the title!
(I couldn't think of any other way to indicate that that's what's going on.)

Feedback appreciated.

Now, about Rover's shot, a few things come to mind.

First, Where's Waldo? Seriously, I compare it to a picture full of Waldos and instructions telling you that the real Waldo is the one that's different from the others (the answer being the one facing to the left, hidden by camouflage).
Not trying to downplay it though. Art is art.

Second, it reminds me of the aliens from the video of "She's Got An Alien Heart" (seen starting at 1:08 in the linked video). (If you haven't watched P&F on DC/DisXD, you probably haven't seen this before.) What Rover could do to make his shot even cooler is have all the Links animated doing that dance!

#24 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:19 AM

Can someone tell me why all you crazy men are voting for Rovers screen? Is there a message? Because all I see is...well, s***.

Honest opinion FTW!

#25 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:23 AM

QUOTE(Keiichi123 @ Sep 27 2011, 07:49 PM) View Post

Can someone tell me why all you crazy men are voting for Rovers screen? Is there a message? Because all I see is...well, s***.

Honest opinion FTW!

Calling people who voted for Rover crazy? Kinda rude if you ask me. Also if it were to be sarcasm good rule of thumb: sarcasm isn't translated well over the internet.

Also, um, I believe Poke stated the reason it on the first page. Too me it's very artistic and creative. Hence it got my vote. icon_wink.gif

#26 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:28 AM

QUOTE(Shane @ Sep 27 2011, 04:23 AM) View Post

Calling people who voted for Rover crazy? Kinda rude if you ask me. Also if it were to be sarcasm good rule of thumb: sarcasm isn't translated well over the internet.

Also, um, I believe Poke stated the reason it on the first page. Too me it's very artistic and creative. Hence it got my vote. icon_wink.gif

Not being rude, being honest. You think it rude? don't worry about it. Worrying about it will just make you feel bad. If you just think to your self, "Hey, I don't give a damn if this person thinks differently then me" everything will be fine and maybe God will give you a lolly pop, kay?

Now go run off and play.

#27 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:57 AM

QUOTE(Keiichi123 @ Sep 27 2011, 12:19 PM) View Post

Can someone tell me why all you crazy men are voting for Rovers screen?

Link is in it. Also, it's the kind of thing I'd hang on my wall. Or put on my t-shirt.

Rover, please win. You will for ever be my hero. More so than Robin, even.

Edited by Sheik91, 27 September 2011 - 05:57 AM.

#28 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:59 AM

I see it more as a joke shot than artistic... come on, what are we coming to? It literally has no value whatsoever. To me, at least.

#29 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:08 AM

If you look at it you see it stands out thus it looks creative and catches your eye.

Not being rude, being honest. You think it rude? don't worry about it. Worrying about it will just make you feel bad. If you just think to your self, "Hey, I don't give a damn if this person thinks differently then me" everything will be fine and maybe God will give you a lolly pop, kay?

Now go run off and play.

I wasn't offended I'm telling that you shouldn't use words like "crazy" in certain aspects of your post.

Tell me why you people are all crazy for Rover's shot?

That would have been a lot nicer and less rude in a way.

Edited by Shane, 27 September 2011 - 06:09 AM.

#30 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:12 AM

I don't like how people don't get aventgarde art and get all worked up about it. Though that's pretty much the point of it, so it's cool. I like, however, how people support it so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users