• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:16 PM

So, apparently this is a thing.

Edited by Sheik, 08 December 2017 - 01:18 PM.

#2 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:22 PM

Honestly feels like a pathetic attempt to try to get back the people who quitted the game ages ago, mainly because they didn't liked the new content. Specially with how fast they have been losing players in the last few years.

#3 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:42 PM

Personally the new content and expansions aren't at all why I quit the game. It was because MMOs require too much commitment.

#4 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:43 PM

@ Norzan: In a sense yes, but why do you think that would be pathetic? Is a video game company not supposed to be interested in winning back its players? I'd think that's kind of the point. If people liked your old product but don't like your new product you should rationally go back to selling the old one again, no?

Edited by Sheik, 08 December 2017 - 01:44 PM.

#5 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:05 PM

Because they've been losing a lot of players in the last few years (the game has nowhere the same amount of players it had at its peak) and this is just a desperate attempt to try to get back the old players.

Every time a company starts using nostalgia pandering to try to get back old costumers, it's just extremely pathetic to me. It's like "Hey! Remember all this crap you liked? We are bringing it back with none of the stuff you didn't liked in the expansions! Please, come back to us."

Edited by Norzan, 08 December 2017 - 02:07 PM.

#6 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:11 PM

I know that Blizzard was repeatedly (and constantly. O.o ) pressured to allow folks to re-enact the Classic WoW experience. They (hopefully) cite that it's mostly technical issues that stop them, as every little difference between versions would stop them from having optimized network conditions. Essentially, what we know today as WoW has evolved technically and technologically in amazing leaps and bounds over what Classic WoW was powered by. They're extremely incompatible with each other. Having to reproduce it with their modern hardware and software would probably be just as time-consuming as setting up the software powered by the hardware of the old days back in 2004. It's quite a bit of work.

#7 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

Every time a company starts using nostalgia pandering to try to get back old costumers, it's just extremely pathetic to me. It's like "Hey! Remember all this crap you liked? We are bringing it back with none of the stuff you didn't liked in the expansions! Please, come back to us."

Hm. Did you feel this way about OoT3D and MM3D, too?

• Anthus likes this

#8 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

Hm. Did you feel this way about OoT3D and MM3D, too?

I don't care for OoT (but even then, it still felt like nostalgia pandering) and it did feel like MM3D was nostalgia pandering, but to a lesser extent. Mainly because a lot of people had been asking for a remake for years, so i guess Nintendo just decided to give it to the people.

I'm sure some people have been asking for a classic server for Wow (even though there's private serves for that), but this just came out of left field. And it honestly feels like a desperate attempt to try to reel back in old players because their subscriber base is at one of its lowest points. 

I hate nostalgia pandering, for the most part, which is why i don't like or just think a lot of remakes are completely unnecessary like Superstar Saga 3DS (the original still looks great and plays fine).

Pokemon is probably the worst case of nostalgia pandering where at least since Gen 4, there's need to be constant references to previous generations. The worst case are the remakes. I was fine with FRLG, mainly because Gen 3 decided to cut ties with the previous gens (due to no possible connectivity). HGSS and ORAS felt like pandering because the originals are still fine, but i let it slide a little bit because i was genuinely curious how these two gens were like with the Gen 4 physical/special split. But now a lot of people are asking for Gen 4 remakes and these are completely pointless (this is my favorite gen btw). Then people will ask for Gen 5 remakes, then Gen 6 and so on and it's going to be an endless stream of pointless remakes.

I went on a little rant there but you get my point.

#9 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:18 PM

Yeah I get your point. With me it's quite the opposite: I like good remakes and remasters or throwbacks to previous games. I was all over the Enhanced Editions of Baldur's Gate, for example.

Personally I think I might try out the Classic servers when they come around. I played WoW on release and at some point I played on private servers for a month or two each. My favorite era of Warcraft lore is Warcraft II, though. If I had it my way there'd be a WoW set in the WCII era. Well, that will never happen so yeah.

Edited by Sheik, 08 December 2017 - 07:20 PM.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#10 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:17 AM

Their doing this within a year or so of shutting down the most popular free Vanilla version of the game people were illegally hosting (Nostramus servers or whatever it was called). Those servers had 10's of thousands of people online.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 09 December 2017 - 01:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users