Photo

Screenshot of the Week 486

Jared Astromeow Dawnlight Mudkipz

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 486 (73 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:18 PM

Astromeow

Astromeow.png

Zelda Classic: Unity

Jared

Jared.png

I haven't worked on a screen this hard in a long time. It's nice for a change. :)

Dawnlight

Dawnlight.png

The sign says "Proceed with Caution. Jubbz got wrecked by a bird".

Mudkipz

Mudkipz.png

*ring* *ring* "Uh... Hello? Hello! See, I told you this job would be easy!"

• Lightwulf and LinkFan212 like this

#2 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:21 PM

Very tough choice this week. All of them are amazing. I really love the FNaF cameo with Mudkipz's screen, really good job on that.

However, Jared's screenshot wins my vote by just a liiiiiiiitle bit, for that amazing screen design, I've never seen anything like it. If only I could vote for more than one...

#3 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:39 PM

Oh dang, really good shots this week.

Astromeow: I'm really fond of the RPG graphics and this definitely feels like the most urban city we've had in ZC.  Unfortunately, I'm not too big on the palette, as it seems too glow-y and pastel-y.

Jared: Everything about this flows really well.  The cobblestone path is really nice, the bushes, trees, and lilypads all harmonize together really well, and the water details feel really calm without being under-detailed.  I would say my only gripe is the fence-posts, as they feel a bit out of place, but it's honestly no biggie.

Dawnlight: Another excellent screenshot, it reminds me of something I'd see in Hero of Dreams and Link's Birthday DX.  The mountain's perspective does seem a bit off at the bottom though, as if it's just suspended in mid-air.

Mudkipz: JFC that's scary.  So, job well done then? <<

Tough choice, but I voted for Jared.

• Jared and Astromeow like this

#4 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:14 PM

Great week!  All four are potential winners if they weren't together in the same contest.

Astromeow - Love the graphics.  I like the blue palette too.  It's a good night on the street aura, using shades of blue.  Can't complain about the design.  Very detailed, and well spaced for what it is.

Jared - Beautiful screen.  Great usage of natural tiles.  I love the palette.  The unique stone path is like nothing I have seen in ZC, and I like how the grass gives it a clear sense of a path being somewhat overgrown.  And Link on Epona just adds to the overall cuteness factor.

Dawnlight - That subscreen portion is awesome.  The screen accomplishes a goal that could have easily been made too crowded, but I think you pulled it off nicely, and did so without the island needing to be perfectly centered.  Leaving more of the overview part for the upper left with less (but still existing) clouds was a smart design move.  That and the dimmer clouds give it just that extra touch of fogginess.

Mudkipz - I love the usage of purple for indoors, which I don't see much.  The lighting is well done for what clearly shows indoor lighting in an otherwise dark atmosphere.  Also don't ignore the good usage of subtle floor details.  The bright eyes in the dark places gives a nice extra spook factor.

It was a hard decision for all the right reasons.  The answer is Jared, which certainly wins on charm.

• Jared and Astromeow like this

#5 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:46 PM

Auuugh, such a good week ;__; All of these shots are creative and distinct and really well-designed and you all did good, everyone.

Astromeow: You know, like, in the past week or so I've been thinking about monochromatic stuff in ZQ and how I wanted to either make or see something that was predominantly blue.  The timing couldn't have been better.  I think the contrast maybe could be a bit better (I think the current level of contrast leaves it feeling kind of muddy and not-as-nighttimey-as-it-could-be), but it still looks really nice and it's a really well-established scene.

Jared: The screen design is perfect.  Seriously -- every individual tile feels like it was meticulously placed, it uses big trees but doesn't feel even remotely cramped, and it leaves you envisioning what's going on outside of the boundaries of the screen.  It feels totally natural, like it's part of a much bigger world even when it's standing alone.

Dawnlight: Usually translucent clouds, like, have one of two effects: They either make a screen confusing to look at, or they tend to color a scene and make it more vibrant.  Here, I feel like they kind of blend into the background and become weird and wispy and foggy, so you barely notice them.  Which is good!  They contribute to an atmosphere without obscuring what's going on, and that's a really important quality in a screen.  This is another example, like Nathaniel said, of a screen that could have very easily felt cramped but doesn't.

Mudkipz: I love the palette -- it feels totally moody and eerie and fits the screen perfectly.  Something that surprises me about this screen is that I keep looking at it and finding little subtle details, like the borders just above the house tiles where the house ends, or how the characters that are inside of the darkness have a creepy shine in their eyes...

I dunno who to vote for.  I think I'm leaning towards Mudkipz, just because I love the little touches of detail, and the palette is great, but Jared's is just so excellent design-wise.  I'll get back to y'all if I make a decision.

• Jared likes this

#6 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:51 PM

All the screens this week are perfect. I'm going to need a few days before I can vote properly. XD

#7 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 14 December 2014 - 07:50 PM

I voted for Astromeow. Which is impressive considering the competition. Dawnlight's was a close second.
  • strike and HavoX like this

#8 LinkFan212

LinkFan212

EVERYDAY is a BIG DAY

• Members

Posted 14 December 2014 - 07:51 PM

Definitely Mudkips...I couldn't help but chuckle a little bit after seeing that! xD #fnafftw

#9 ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer

What's up my playas

• Members

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:34 PM

Mudkipz gets my vote. Love the ability of making it like FNAF's. But I hope there will be a FNAF's styled quest.

#10 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:53 PM

I'm blue da ba dee da ba die...

---

I voted for Jared.

• Astromeow likes this

#11 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:00 PM

Great turnout this week! I don't know who I'll vote for... Decisions!

-Strike

#12 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:43 PM

I voted for Jared. Those Four Swords trees.

#13 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:30 PM

Very great turnout this week!

Astromeow: Certainly has a unique charm with these visuals and colours. Textures, while nice, make the screen a bit too busy, and somewhat confusing for my eyes. It's pretty much the only major downside to a screen that captures a lively city screen with a great sense of elevation. Final Rating: 8.5/10

Jared: It feels like you took something from the real world and pasted it into ZQuest. It looks like Link is exploring a vast beautiful countryside and that's the appeal here. It has solid flow, a nice palette, atmosphere and subtle detail that doesn't distract the player... there's nothing more I could ask for when it comes to good screen design. Final Rating: 10/10

Dawnlight: Close second, this shot looks like it is actually way up in the clouds. Speaking of which, the clouds are done very, very nicely. I like the palette and screen design, and the area is very intriguingFinal Rating: 9.5/10

Mudkipz: I knew this would be coming eventually, especially in the EZGBZ tileset. I really like your recreation of the game; it actually looks somewhat creepy, so it holds a lot of faith in that regard. As a screen though, I can't say I am a fan of the design choices, but it definitely has atmosphere, which is a huge plus. Final Rating: 8.5/10

They are all really nice, but in the end, I voted for Jared. I want to explore that field. :D

• Jared and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#14 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:58 AM

Astromeow - The day for night filter is strong with this one. I do dig the city environment and also like that it's not using a traditional ZC tileset (and using it well!) The sprites look good and it definitely has an air of mystery about it where you want to know what everyone's talking about. Only a minor complaint but I wonder why the lamp doesn't have some sort of light coming off of it? Good shot, either way.

Jared - I really like this shot overall. The broken up path looks really good, I dig the Epona sprite, and the overall atmosphere is very chill. Maybe it's just met but I do feel the trees and water look a little matte in comparison to the rest of the shot? I don't know that it's a bad thing, but for some reason I find it a bit distracting.

Dawnlight - A simple shot that really sells that you're in some sky... place. I like the use of the clouds and how you can see the ground below. The biggest knock on this screen is that it's kind of claustrophobic, which is strange for a sky shot. It just feels a bit constrained overall, though much like my other complains so far, I don't know that it's really a bad thing? I still like the screen despite that feeling.

Mudkipz - Ah. FNaF the quest. All of my nope. (Good sprites, it's creepy, and it seems to be accomplishing what it's trying to do. I like it, though I think it'd be visually confusing to someone unfamiliar with the game.)

So overall I liked all the screens this week, but I think the overall best composed screen was Jared's. Vote goes to him. Good work, everyone! :D

#15 Mr Silver

Mr Silver

Initiate

• Members

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:01 AM

Amazing screens this week... I honestly don't know which one I'm going to vote =/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jared, Astromeow, Dawnlight, Mudkipz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users