Photo

Light and Darkness - by Avataro

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Light and Darkness expo poll (19 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this expo entry?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Avaro

Avaro

Quest maker

• Members

Posted 21 September 2016 - 12:34 PM

Light and Darkness

Introduction

You might be wondering "Avataro, what is this?". Well, this project is my first true Zelda styled quest, since Tower of Shadows. This quest combines the elements of my most favourite Zelda games.

As for NewJourneysFire's and my project TRIFORCE, it is mainly NJF's quest now and I am less involved in the development of it. For TRIFORCE I will be doing 1 or 2 more dungeons and some scripts that will be needed. I have faith in NJF, that this will work out fine for TRIFORCE.

My other project, Ganon's Curse is more themed around Zelda 1 and it has a twisted unique style, which is very different from official Zelda games.

This quest however will be more focused on modern Zelda aspects and story. Nothing crazy here, just normal Zelda gameplay. You can expect lots of scripts though. This quest will use the Gameboy tileset, which is kind of becoming my favourite tileset.

First trailer

Basically some random gameplay footage xD

Screenshots

LD1.png LD2.png

LD3.png LD4.png

LD5.png LD6.png

LD7.png LD8.png

Demo

Here is a teaser demo that features the introduction dungeon and a little bit of story. This teaser demo is very short, being only 5 to 10 minutes long. It's meant to be just a teaser, not a fully-fledged demo. That said, please enjoy! :D

Teaser Demo Download

Quest features

I'm considering this quest to be a dungeon romper, though it is a mix of dungeon romper, miniquest and story-driven. The quest is linear.

6 main dungeons, a final dungeon and some minidungeons.
Pretty small overworld, but it has lots of variety.
Lots of caves and secrets to find.
A mysterious shells system. Finding all shells in an area will give you a reward.
Several custom items, custom enemies and custom bosses.
A big focus on puzzles.
Story with mysteries and plot twists.

Story

This quest is set in Hyrule. Link is a hunter and Zelda is the daughter of the mayor and friends with Link. As the story unfolds, Link will be setting out for a great adventure, going through dungeons, climbing towers and having epic battles. I will not spoil what exactly happens.

My biggest goal for the story is to be interesting and the dialogues to be as simple and short as possible. After all, you don't want to waste too much time reading, right?

Credits (for now)

Music:
VGMusic.com
nicklegends
Radien

Tileset:
Akkabus
Lightwulf

Moosh - npc script
justin - enemy returner script
Shane - treasure chest tiles

How interested in this quest are you? Let me know. You can also ask me any questions. Light and Darkness has actually been in development
for over a year now and it's at least 50% finished. I'm hoping to finish it in the next few months, but a 2016 release is extremely unlikely.

Edited by Avataro, 09 October 2016 - 11:29 AM.

• Shane, Eddy, Jared and 3 others like this

#2 a30502355

a30502355

Hi

• Members

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:54 AM

Looks very fun, will try this one out first. :)

EDIT: Finished the teaser demo, was really short. But the dungeon was very enjoyable. I like the fact that's it's not too big and fancy, it's simple, and it is effective. And judging from the screenshots, I find great potential in enjoying this quest. I'll give it a 5/5 because it's great potential. Knowing you, this quest would probably come out as excellent!

Edited by a30502355, 09 October 2016 - 02:05 AM.

• Avaro and AdmiralJaden like this

#3 AdmiralJaden

AdmiralJaden

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:31 AM

I'll definitely add this to my list of games to try out :)

EDIT: Just finished the demo, I have to say it's very nice, and it has great potential to rise the ranks. An enjoyable experience, even though it was very short.

Edited by AdmiralJaden, 09 October 2016 - 02:53 AM.

• Avaro likes this

#4 Demonlink

Demonlink

Experienced Quest Developer

• Members

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:13 PM

To you, I bow down good sir. Even if it was pretty small, I know I'm looking at a wonderful quest when it gets done. Hell yeah, I'm looking forward to this! :D

• Avaro likes this

#5 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:23 AM

As for NewJourneysFire's and my project TRIFORCE, it is mainly NJF's quest now and I am less involved in the development of it. For TRIFORCE I will be doing 1 or 2 more dungeons and some scripts that will be needed. I have faith in NJF, that this will work out fine for TRIFORCE.

You should never put total faith in me. You never know what might come out of it. lol

Either way, so this is what you've been busy doing? I can't wait to play this. :P

What zc version is this being built in? 

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 10 October 2016 - 11:24 AM.

#6 Avaro

Avaro

Quest maker

• Members

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:56 PM

You should never put total faith in me. You never know what might come out of it. lol

Either way, so this is what you've been busy doing? I can't wait to play this. :P

What zc version is this being built in? 

xD

2.5.2 is what I'm using. I think it should work in older versions but I haven't tested in a while.

Edited by Avataro, 11 October 2016 - 12:56 PM.

• NewJourneysFire likes this

#7 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:56 PM

Great demo! Lots of quality here, but it lacks content. I rated it a 4 in presentation because I felt since you offered a demo that it could have offered a little more. Despite that disappointment, this was truly a great experience. Great job Avataro, you should create a banner for this quest as I'll be adding this quest to one of my most anticipated. 

• Avaro likes this

#8 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:57 PM

This was a really neat demo! It's very short, just as described (a teaser), but many neat features are on display. I especially liked...

Spoiler

The dragon cutscene background is also very pretty.

Looks like it'll be pretty cool!

• Avaro likes this

#9 Eddy

Eddy

"The Hylian Champion"

• Database Staff

Posted 15 October 2016 - 11:35 AM

This was a really cool teaser. I really love the simplicity and how well the intro dungeon plays out. Yes it's very short, but I guess that's why it's called a teaser isn't it :P I think this definitely hyped me enough to look forward to the quest. The trailer looks really good and those screenshots are well made. I also loved the chaser puzzle in the teaser, that was something I don't think I've ever seen before. And other plus is that I don't think I found any issues with the teaser, so good job on that :P

I'll give this one a 5/5, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where this quest goes in the future.

• Avaro likes this

#10 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 15 October 2016 - 04:08 PM

When I wrote my review I forgot the demo was just a teaser.

Still though, it was a shame there wasn't much more. I was hoping to at least explore a small fraction of the game's world. 

#11 Eddy

Eddy

"The Hylian Champion"

• Database Staff

Posted 16 October 2016 - 04:09 AM

When I wrote my review I forgot the demo was just a teaser.

Still though, it was a shame there wasn't much more. I was hoping to at least explore a small fraction of the game's world. 

I think it's better this way, we got more things to get hyped for :P

#12 Shane

Shane

• Members

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:20 AM

I played the teaser a while ago and I must say, it shows a lot of promise. The trailer also has me excited! This is an easy 5/5 for me, my personal favorite entry this expo. :)

• Avaro likes this

#13 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:17 PM

This is late as I thought I already shared this here:

My Lets Play of this Expo Demo has been uploaded to my Expo LP Forum Topic. It's been shared here for review, discussion, and for the interests of anybody who is curious on what this game is all about. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users