11 replies to this topic

#1 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:38 AM

Heyho :)

I want to discussa specific topic here:

It's hard to say that you made a quest on your own, because most people use tilessets, tiles, scripts and music that are made by other people. So my question is: Do you name all the people, you got stuff from, in your quest (in the credits or elsewhere)?

On the other hand: Do you want other people to put your name in the credits, when they use your stuff?

#2 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:46 AM

For the first question, yes. I always keep a list in a textfile of all noteworthy people to credit. And then at the end of the quest, I'd make a custom credits sequence. At least for most projects. If it's a small short quest, I'll just list the credits on the database submission only.

Edited by Avataro, 20 November 2017 - 08:46 AM.

• ShadowTiger and Rastael like this

#3 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:58 AM

Do you want other people to put your name in the credits, when they use your stuff?

I am indifferent about it. People that use my stuff don't necessarily have to credit me as far as I am concerned.

• Rastael likes this

#4 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:12 AM

Yes. I think it's normal to give credit when you borrow things.

Some people may not care, but in case they do, I reckon you should do it out of respect.

• Rastael and Shane like this

#5 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:29 PM

For the first part, I generally credit stuff based off what I use (obviously). I credit people from the tileset choice, scripts, loose tiles, music, general quest ideas, and beta testers. Probably missed a few out, but yeah I try to cover everything.

As for the second part, I never really created any kind of stuff besides quests, so I'm definitely not expecting anything there. It would be nice to have a little mention that I was part of the beta testing team from quests I've beta tested though, that's always appreciated. Other than that though, nothing else I can think of.

• Rastael likes this

#6 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

I try to credit everyone, but sometimes you slip up and a name or two gets left out.

• Rastael likes this

#7 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:14 AM

Thank you for your answers. :)

My problem is that I started my quest years ago (and I don't work on my quest often, because I'm busy most of the time), so I don't remember most of the people, I took stuff from.

Since my quest will be released in another language (so propably nobody at pureZC will play it): Do you think, it would be okay to write some lines like "Special thanks to all the People of pureZC that helped me with my quest and design ..." instead of naming them in the credits?

Please be honest about the question, because I don't want to upset people, if I don't call them by their names.

Edited by Rastael, 21 November 2017 - 06:15 AM.

#8 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:42 AM

Thank you for your answers. :)

My problem is that I started my quest years ago (and I don't work on my quest often, because I'm busy most of the time), so I don't remember most of the people, I took stuff from.

Since my quest will be released in another language (so propably nobody at pureZC will play it): Do you think, it would be okay to write some lines like "Special thanks to all the People of pureZC that helped me with my quest and design ..." instead of naming them in the credits?

Please be honest about the question, because I don't want to upset people, if I don't call them by their names.

I think it would always be wise to keep some kind of notepad document or some paper around where you can just note down the names of people that you took things from, just so you won't forget at the end and can credit them all. You did say you started your quest years ago, so I guess that won't help much now but it's good to keep in mind for future projects. I personally wouldn't be too bothered if something similar to what you said was done, but I honestly don't know about others.

• Rastael likes this

#9 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:04 PM

You could always try and track down whoever made the stuff you used, but if you can't, then I'm sure a general thanks, and maybe an apology to those you forgot to mention specifically (if you mention others by name) would be alright.

• Rastael likes this

#10 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:36 PM

Regarding being credited, that depends on the output of the questmaker. If the output is something truly terrible, I would rather not be associated with it.

If it is something that made moderate use of my kit, and it is generally competent, being credited is nice. If the product is high-quality, and it used any of my kit in a notable manner, being credited is, nicer. I have never lashed out at anyone for lack of mentioning me in anything. I comprehend that most people aren't meticulous in managing resource lists.

• Rastael likes this

#11 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:13 AM

I prefer that my work be credited, but I don't mind if it's not. I only mind if someone claims my work as their own.

Like Avataro, I always keep a text file detailing whose work I've used so that I can credit the authors properly.

• Rastael likes this

#12 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:31 PM

I try to keep a list for each project as well. This list will list tiles, scripts, and music I use. Honestly, I kind of skimp in the music department. I get 99% of my MIDIs from VGmusic, and just forget to write down the composer. Not to mention I've downloaded hundreds, maybe even thousands of MIDIs over the years, and keeping track of all that is just pretty much not happening on any level. If I get music from Pure, I'd credit it. I don't feel too bad about this, since it's not like I'm claiming it as my own, and the guy didn't compose the notes himself, so it's not infringing on his IP, assuming it is from an existing game (referring to VGmusic MIDIs here, not Pure).

As for my stuff, I'd like to be credited, but since the greater majority of my tiles are edits or rips, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Like Geoffrey said, I just don't want people claiming it as their own. Unless it's terrible, then go ahead and claim it.

• Rastael likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users